Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 75.6°F | Humidity: 57% | Pressure: 29.99in (Steady) | Conditions: Scattered Clouds | Wind Direction: SSW | Wind Speed: 1.2mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com
 
 
login
    15833 Subscribers
      677 Paid (4.3%)
     120 Comments
     70 Commenters
     51562 Page Views
 
 

 
Boxtales 20 Year Anniversary Festival
Boxtales 20 Year Anniversary Festival
 
The Winehound
The Winehound
 
Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat
 
News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Water Damage Concern
updated: May 05, 2014, 8:25 AM

By Edhat Subscriber

My upstairs bathroom sink overflowed onto the floor(Kid forgot to turn water off) and water seeped through floor and was dripping downstairs through a light fixture directly below the upstairs bathroom. I do not see any visible wetness or water damage to the ceiling and the light works fine. Should I be concerned about mold?

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

 COMMENT 516555P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-05-05 08:36 AM

Yes. If you can afford it have the floor boards examined.

 

 COMMENT 516559 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-05-05 08:52 AM

Get every place dried out, even it means commercial services--you don't want mold in your home--it never goes away.

 

 COMMENT 516560 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-05-05 08:54 AM

Not much information to go on like how much water spilled. Doubt there is any insulation in that area, so that's good....and if you still don't see any wetness damage to the ceiling by the time you read this, more than likely you won't. Humidity is kind of high today so that's not going to work in your favor ventilating the room. Could fire up the furnace or place an electric heater to help dry things out. Might want to lower the lamp fixture to make sure nothing is puddling (power off, of course). Lastly, fix the upstairs sink. It shouldn't have over-flowed. Personally, I don't think mold will be a problem in this case.

 

 COMMENT 516565P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-05-05 09:05 AM

Something similar happened to my brother, although it sounds like his damage was worse. YES, be concerned about mold! You should have professionals come in with heavy duty fans. Call your insurance company. My brother found he had very good coverage for this.

 

 COMMENT 516566 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-05-05 09:06 AM

Yes, contact a company like Qwik Response because they can help assess things, dry out what is needed and prevent or rid the area of mold. They are local, affordable and amazing. I am an insurance agent and have sent many of my customers to them and get rave reviews. 962-6626.

 

 COMMENT 516585P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-05-05 10:33 AM

YES - Mold

I've used ServPro and they are awesome. Ask for Jamie at the Goleta office.

They are spot on fast & thorough to the n'th degree.

 

 COMMENT 516602 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-05-05 11:45 AM

Seconding ServPro---they have the correct tools and do a great job, and can test for mold.

 

 D8VANILLA agree helpful negative off topic

2014-05-05 01:05 PM

I just bought a small dehumidifier $42. at Ace Hardware and it seems to collect a lot of water, which will help with the musty smell in my large closet.

 

 COMMENT 516663P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-05-05 03:23 PM

A friend of mine purchased a pretty little house, up on Lower Riviera. Unbeknownst to her, the sprinkler system installed in the backyard by the previous owners had caused water to
seep into the basement of the house.

She went down into that basement only once. There was black mold growing, covering the walls. (Don't ask me how she didn't know about this seepage when she bought that house, as she was not a dummy, when it came to real estate.)

Her health has never been the same. She got a snootful of those mold spores and, thanks to a delicate immune system, has suffered and suffered ever since.

YES. Get that water damage inspected. Don't mess around.

 

 COMMENT 516672P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-05-05 03:44 PM

I know that you do want any mold, but is all black mold very serious? Is all black mold derived from being wet at some point?

 

 COMMENT 516682 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-05-05 04:15 PM

Every home has mold spores, generally they are dormant and cause no problems. The problems arise when the spores are exposed to water or moisture.

If it were me, I would ensure that the moisture supply, your sink, was fixed to ensure there are no more leaks. Dry the area thoroughly and go on with your life.

Most people can do this on their own but if not you have some good recommendations for help above.

 

 COMMENT 516694 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-05-05 04:57 PM

As long as there isn't a constant leak you'll be fine. Making small claims with your home owners insurance is a good way to get your rates jacked and/or dropped.

 

 COMMENT 516808 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-05-06 09:49 AM

Thank's for the advice edhatters. I called my HO insurance company. They had ServPro (no charge) come out and test for moisture. There was no significant moisture detected in the affected area. I think because the upstairs gets warm and our weather has been hot & dry helped mitigate the situation.

 

 COMMENT 516927 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-05-06 04:30 PM

get fans running over it to dry out ASAP and keep it going, be concerned about warping dry it up before any mold will start, if you leave it wet for too long then I'd say worry, maybe use a heating pad too to warm it to dry. Our shower overflowed and made the wood flooring warp where it puddled, no mold but just get it dried quickly. Have your kids help so they learn what happens so they won't do it again. Definitely call insurance that's what you have it for right?

 

43% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

 

 

Add Your Comments

Edhat Username

Password

Comment

Don't have an Account?

Don't know if you have an account?

Don't remember your account info?

CLICK HERE


ENJOY HAPPY HOUR! ... Between 4:00pm & 5:00pm only happy comment are allowed on the Edhat Comments Board.

If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

 
Hide Your Handle, but show paid status (paid subscribers only)
NEW - use verified name and picture (contact ed@edhat.com to be verified)
Find out About Becoming A Paid Subscriber
NOTE: We are testing a new Comment Preview Page. You must hit OK on the next page to have your comment go live. Send Feedback to ed@edhat.com.
 

get a handle   |  lost handle

 

EDHAT COMMENTS POLICY

 

  See more articles like this

# # # #

 

Send To a Friend
Your Email
Friend's Email

Top of Page | Old News Archives | Printer-Friendly Page

  Home Subscribe FAQ Jobs Contact copyright © 2003-2014  
Edhat, Inc.