npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 54.1°F | Humidity: 72% | Pressure: 30.04in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SW | Wind Speed: 6.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
  login You create the news! Send items of interest to ed@edhat.com
    17875 Subscribers
      548 Paid (3.1%)
     121 Commenters
     97316 Page Views

Buy Edhat Shirts
Buy Edhat Shirts
Buy Edhat Bags
Buy Edhat Bags
Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat
Buy Edhat Hats
Buy Edhat Hats
News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

DMV Registration Question
updated: Mar 11, 2014, 11:45 AM

By Edhat Subscriber

I have an old Airstream on my property that hasn't been moved in 15 years. I'd like to sell it, but It needs to be re-registered with the DMV before someone can move it.

After spending two hours at the DMV, they got it back in "the system"... but said that I need VIN verification to complete the registration. Normally, vehicles are taken there to the DMV office to do this. I can't move my trailer, however (want to sell it to someone who can!).... DMV said I can get verification of vehicle identification by any Peace Officer.

I called Sheriff (non-emergency) dispatch and they called CHP who sent out a young man who had no idea how to go about doing this "verification"... He suggested I call CHP office which I did.

They said that they have nobody available to do verification. That there's a person in training to do this, but he won't be qualified until mid-April. The did say I need some form (124?) (1/3 sheed in triplicate) to do the verification.

Does anybody have experience with this sort of thing? I'd like to sell it ASAP. The DMV made it sound like any peace officer could do it, but apparently that's not the case?

thanks for any help.

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

 COMMENT 501845 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-11 11:52 AM

Have you found the VIN number? I would take a photo of it and see whether that provides "verification".


 COMMENT 501848 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-11 12:05 PM

You expect law enforcement to do house calls to facilitate your DMV paperwork? lol.

Sorry, but selling an unregistered vehicle is a hassle, and trying to do it asap is not going to happen. That's why the DMV has Planned Non-Operation" (PNO) registration, so you can stay in the system and avoid all of these hassles.


 COMMENT 501851 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-11 12:16 PM

I'm sure you could pay a towing company to get it to the DMV for you. Would be easier than getting an officer to your home.


 COMMENT 501854P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-11 12:19 PM

Wonder if AAA or a notary could help.


 COMMENT 501881 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-11 01:32 PM

The difficulty you are encountering is the DMV's way of letting you know to keep your vehicles in current registration - it's just what they do. 851 suggested you contact a towing company - it's not bad advice but you need to have a one day move permit from the DMV to do it. If you don't and the tow truck gets stopped - you will be ticketed for having an unregistered vehicle. You said it's an Airstream so it is likely in excess of 21 feet long and possibly more than 12 feet tall? If that is true then you can be "legal" to tow if you have it put on a landoll. You won't get a ticket if all wheels are off the ground. It's not a simple process and many towing companies do not have landolls so ask when you are doing the price check. The advice 854 gave about AAA is good - they are very helpful and may save you time. Good Luck.


 COMMENT 501906 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-11 02:38 PM

While the VIN # is important I'll presume you have the Title to this RV. Involved in a similar issue during 2012 selling an RV after we lost our Title.

Filed Application for Duplicate Title, DMV REG 227 (REV. 1/2008) and wrote in the known VIN # and last registered owners of record for the RV on this document. Also required to file a "Statement Of Facts" DMV REG 256 (REV. 8/2008) re smog (Section B). The Airstream won't have the smog requirement but Section C of this document will likely apply as you need to verify the Airstream was not parked on a street or highway and had not been used to cause registration fees to become due.

The new owner(s) sign the opposite side of DMV REG 227 which includes the plate and VIN #. I'm certain the new owners will want to verify the VIN # on the Airstream before signing this document or paying for the Airstream.


 FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-11 03:00 PM

What a hassle, good luck! Seems to be some good advice here. Airstreams are in high demand, especially old ones; do some research and make sure you get the true value. All your work should be well worth it.


 COMMENT 501927P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-11 03:32 PM

What a governmental/ bureaucratic run-around! You have my sympathy. It really is criminal what we let these public servants/ agencies get away with; it's the antithesis of customer service or common sense. We resolved our last DMV gotcha by joining AAA, as the cost of membership was a bargain -- in that they found a way to do what the DMV made almost impossible to do.


 COMMENT 501933 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-11 03:45 PM

Is there a new law requiring DMV or law enforcment personnel verify a VIN #? As stated in my earlier post I completed the DMV documents, submitted them and DMV verified the VIN # information in their system. Time consuming getting from A-Z but that is all that was required in my situation.


 COMMENT 501939 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-11 04:01 PM

No new law, just the same old CA vehicle code available online:

"A Vehicle Verification is always required for:
Any vehicle for which the department does not have a record, except a new vehicle reported sold by a licensed California dealer on an Application for Registration of a New Vehicle (REG 397).

This is all because you didn't register it. Stop trying to blame the DMV, or law enforcement. You ignored the DMV notices and saved $18/year in PNO fees, hope you spent it wisely because re-registering will inevitably cost more in time and money than you ever saved.


 COMMENT 501993 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-11 08:10 PM

There is a local place that seems to be restoring dozens of Airstreams. I think they're located on maybe Quarantina between Haley and Cota. Maybe they could help you, or at least point you in the right direction, as I'm sure they must have dealt with long-unregistered Airstreams in the past.


 COMMENT 501994 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-11 08:10 PM

Maybe they'd even buy it from you as a restoration project! I'd start there.


 COMMENT 501999 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-11 08:31 PM

Actually I do have quite a bit of experience, including information where you can locate the VIN on the frame if you are missing the VIN plate. However, edhat censors and blocks my comments so even though I would like to help you edhat's censorship policies prevents me from doing so.


 COMMENT 502010 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-11 10:04 PM

999: Edhat doesn't "censor and block" your comments cos i read that one loud & clear. Disgruntled, or maybe you just misunderstood something?


 COMMENT 502036 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-12 07:29 AM

DMV form "REG 31" must be completed by a "trained verifier" and submitted to DMV. Appears the person that completes this form, either from DMV or law enforcement must be trained specifically to complete this document. I'd call the law enforcement agency in your jurisdiction and ask if the have someone qualified to perform this task.


 COMMENT 502041P agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-12 07:36 AM

The outfit Natureboy refers to is Hoffman Architecture. They also run the Airstream Park on De La Vina, near Daily Bread location.


After looking through their gallery of Airstream renovations, you may decide to keep yours for yourself!!


 COMMENT 502161 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-12 11:44 AM

Lori's mobile notary in goleta provides vin verification service at your location


 COMMENT 502302 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-03-12 07:25 PM

OP here... 161 THANK YOU!!
That's a perfect solution for me.

@848 I was simply following DMV staff's statement that if I did not bring the vehicle to them that "a peace officer" could sign off. I was very respectful when I called and asked nicely that if they weren't busy, could they do it for me. Dispatch sent someone who was happy to show up, was VERY nice about it, but told me he didn't know "the scoop" about it. I did not abuse anybody's time or disrespect it or them.

@933... it had dropped out of their system.

@939... I'm not "blaming" anyone for my predicament. I do think the solution could be more simple.

to 848 and 939 ... you have no idea of the circumstances of how this has come about. ... if you did, and you had a heart, you'd refrain from the condescension.

Thanks to the many helpful comments!


22% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.



Add Your Comments

Edhat Username



Don't have an Account?

Don't know if you have an account?

Don't remember your account info?


ENJOY HAPPY HOUR! ... Between 4:00pm & 5:00pm only happy comment are allowed on the Edhat Comments Board.

If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

Hide Your Handle, but show paid status (paid subscribers only)
NEW - use verified name and picture (contact ed@edhat.com to be verified)
Find out About Becoming A Paid Subscriber
NOTE: We are testing a new Comment Preview Page. You must hit OK on the next page to have your comment go live. Send Feedback to ed@edhat.com.

get a handle   |  lost handle




  See more articles like this

# # # #


Send To a Friend
Your Email
Friend's Email

Top of Page | Old News Archives | Printer-Friendly Page

  Home Subscribe FAQ Jobs Contact copyright © 2003-2015  
Edhat, Inc.