Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 66.2°F | Humidity: 82% | Pressure: 29.71in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SE | Wind Speed: 1.6mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login Edhat, where you create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15635 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Traffic Accident
updated: Feb 27, 2013, 11:14 AM

Reported by Roger the Scanner Guy

Traffic: vehicle vs pedestrian near Figueroa and Anacapa. Fire and medics are responding, the injured subject is down in the street.

Photo by an Edhat Subscriber. "I caught this as I was dismissed from jury duty."

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 11:15 AM

I don't think I'll call these accidents anymore.

COMMENT 379304 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 11:17 AM

I agree with you Roger..

COMMENT 379307P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 11:19 AM

Well, what would you call them? I've seen many people crossing illegally to get to the courthouse right there.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 11:36 AM

Do you have proof that this incident was caused by the pedestrian crossing illegally?

LIZBETH agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 11:41 AM

Pedestrians need to make sure they are SEEN before stepping in front of a moving vehicle. Dark clothes at dusk, moving from shadow to light, parked cars, all of these can affect even a careful driver's ability to see. As a ped, even if I have the LEGAL right of way, I don't assume the driver has seen me or will stop. As a driver, I'm careful, but please don't step out in front of me ASSUMING I've seen you.

COMMENT 379350P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 12:13 PM

If it wasn't an accident, it was intentional. Kind of a stretch there.....

COMMENT 379352 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 12:15 PM

This was reported at 11:14 am on a bright and sunny day. I'm sure the pedestrian could be SEEN, but one has to wonder if the driver was LOOKING?

Way to try to shift the blame Lizbet, but it's almost always the DRIVERS responsibility to yield to pedestrians. Stop ASSUMING the pedestrian didn't look first -- looking both ways and making sure there are no cars around won't protect the pedestrian when you are SPEEDING through the crosswalk they're already in.

COMMENT 379378P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 12:48 PM

352: Good point. Pedestrians need to look for approaching speeding cars before stepping off the curb. They're not exceeding the speed of light - they're visible. Roger's got it right, of course, there are enough of these accidents that we're going to have to schedule them in advance to make sure emergency crews aren't double-booked responding to them, and expecting drivers to avoid all pedestrians at all times is providing us with more and more injured or dead pedestrians. Einstein's definition of insanity was repeating the same action indefinitely and expecting a different result. His death wasn't caused by stepping off the curb in front of a truck, like Pierre Curie's.The issue isn't recognizing the way things should be, it's acknowledging the ways things are to keep people from being injured or killed.

COMMENT 379382P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 12:54 PM

Is there a good analogy between guns and crosswalks? Just a thought.

COMMENT 379388 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 01:01 PM

I live downtown, work downtown, drive downtown and walk downtown...here's what I know for a fact. As a pedestrian or a driver you may have the right of way but if you're smart you'll never assume everyone knows that.

Just today I was driving on Victoria Street and the light turned green at the State St. intersection when I was a half a block away. I proceeded and when I was nearly at the intersection, a ped on her cell phone, Starbucks in had stepped into the cross walk right in front of me and looked at me sharply when I nearly hit her even though she was crossing on a red light.

Conversley, I have stepped into crosswalks near the courthouse many times and have nearly been hit by cars even though I made eye contact with them before entering the crosswalk. The moral...DRIVE AND WALK DEFENSIVLEY!

COMMENT 379411 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 01:16 PM

378P: You're quite mistaken. Cars do suddenly appear around corners, or over hills, and can drive much faster than many pedestrians can cross many streets.

While pedestrians can wait for the cars they can see, we can't hold them responsible for the cars they can't see, or cars that are so far away (yet speeding so fast) that there is no way for them to anticipate that the car will be at the intersection before they make it all the way across.

STOP making excuses for unlawful, careless and speeding drivers. Keep an EYE out for pedestrians, SLOW DOWN and STOP for all pedestrians. It's really that simple.

COMMENT 379442 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 02:00 PM

I came upon this incident in my vehicle just minutes, if not seconds after it had happened. The man was indeed crossing in the crosswalk, witnesses were saying he had the right away. The driver was saying he didn't see him and you could tell he felt horrible. The man in the crosswalk is going to need some medical attention for sure but was able to talk on the phone with his wife.

COMMENT 379448P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 02:07 PM

411- EXACTLY. That's why pedestrians need to LOOK for cars and WAIT until it's safe to cross! If it is unsafe (eg., blind corner, hill, etc) then, simple - DO NOT CROSS! Cross the street where it is safe!

COMMENT 379475 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 02:34 PM

I've noticed another problem:
On one way streets when I've stopped for a waiting pedestrian at the curb to allow them to cross and the lane next to me is vacant, inevitably a car comes barreling down the "vacant" lane and almost mows the pedestrian over. This has happened to me as a pedestrian as well.
As a driver, what else can we do to alert the speeding, distracted drivers next to us? Tap the brakes? Use hazard lights?

COMMENT 379481 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 02:42 PM

307P: If it's a blind corner or hill, please tell me, what is the pedestrians supposed to wait for before they cross? Should they wait for the hill to become flattened by a nuclear holocaust? Should they wait for peak oil to hit and there be no more cars on the road? Seriously, there's only so much waiting a pedestrian can do. Once there are no cars present, it's time to cross the street. Stop blaming pedestrians.

475: Happens to me all the time, in particular on Anacapa Street in the mornings. I roll down my window, and stick my arm out to catch other cars attention. It works most of the time.

COMMENT 379483P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 02:49 PM

481 - easy. you cross somewhere where there IS NOT a blind corner or hill.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 03:07 PM

@442 Thank You for the information.

COMMENT 379491 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 03:12 PM

Hahaha.... I love how polarizing this issue is but then as a society polarity is what excites us. Vehicle/pedestrian collisions are the cause of either of two parts 1) driver not paying attention and/or 2) pedestrian not paying attention.

There are jerks behind the wheel and there are jerks out on foot.... it's just too bad that jerks aren't colliding with other jerks and canceling each other out.

COMMENT 379496 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 03:14 PM

307P: Crossing where there aren't blind corners or hills isn't always possible.

What if you live on a hill or blind corner with no sidewalks? Does that mean you're never allowed to leave the house? What if you're at the bottom of a hill and need to cross? Are you supposed to walk to the top of the hill cross the street, then walk down the hill again? What if you wait for the street to clear before crossing, but one turns the corner and starts speeding towards you when you're in the middle of the street? Are you suddenly supposed to be able to levitate to get out of their way?

Just stop with all of the bad excuses already. Most of the pedestrians that are getting hit are doing nothing wrong and are being cautious when they cross. Pedestrians don't have special psychic powers to predict whether there are reckless, lawbreaking drivers nearby. Just drive the speed limit, and yield to pedestrians, and stop making excuses.

COMMENT 379502P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 03:23 PM

496 - if you cross at a blind corner or anywhere your view of oncoming traffic is obscured, you are at just as much fault as the driver who hits you. Simple.

COMMENT 379505P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 03:27 PM

496 - 307P here. You can't yield to a pedestrian that you can't see until it's too late. Don't you see the point I'm making? Yes, speeding drivers need to slow down. But, cautious drivers are not to be blamed when pedestrians pop out from in between cars, from behind a bush, crossing on a red light, etc....

You can't be at fault for colliding with someone you had no chance to stop for.

Not all drivers are out there trying to mow people down, ok?

COMMENT 379533 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 04:12 PM

307P: "you're at just as much fault as the driver who hits you" is completely false. The Vehicle Code gives the right of way to pedestrians. Stop trying to rewrite the law

You might have a point if the pedestrians getting hit by cars were popping out from between vehicles. bushes, crossing red lights, etc. But that's not what is happening. The pedestrians being hit are in crosswalks, and completely visible, but the cars are going to fast or being too careless to stop in time.

If you're driving and can't see around a corner, you need to SLOW DOWN!!! Here's an excerpt from the CA Driver's Handbook for your education:

"At intersections without "STOP" or "YIELD" signs, slow down and be ready to stop. Yield to traffic and pedestrians already in the intersection or just entering the intersection. Also, yield to the vehicle or bicycle that arrives first, or to the vehicle or bicycle on your right if it reaches the intersection at the same time as you."

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 04:51 PM

If you can't see a pedestrian crossing the street in front of you while your driving, you have no business driving.

COMMENT 379608 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 05:47 PM

I do think that making eye contact with the driver before crossing isa good thing to do.

COMMENT 379615 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 06:00 PM

Next time that I'm going really slowly on a street with sidewalks like Hollister Ave, I don't want to hear any honking behind me. I can't look at the sidewalks on both sides of the street, behind and betwen parked cars on both sides of the street, AND avoid oncoming traffic when driving over 25mph. If it's my responsibility to avoid every pedestrian that thinks its ok to wander cluelessly across the street, then I'm going to drive slowly enough to see them and stop before hitting them. Don't honk! It's just somebody being responsible for the health and welfare of pedestrians everywhere.

COMMENT 379799P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-28 09:35 AM

533 - look, once again you're not reading correctly. If neither party is able to see the other (ie., have no way of avoiding collision), then neither party can be considered negligent, thus, no fault. So, if I'm driving around a blind turn and a ped is crossing where I can't see and we collide, then neither of us is at fault because NEITHER of us could have avoided the accident.

I'm not talking about hitting someone in a cross walk. I'm just clarifying the earlier hypothetical.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-28 09:35 AM

My ex used to slow down to 5mph when people would pull up behind her and honk..Boy she really made people angry they would pull up along side her cussing her up one side and down the other she would just smile, she had a pretty smile. I thought we were going to get killed..She was really funny.

COMMENT 379851 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-28 12:48 PM

799P: No, you're not reading clearly at all. The CA Driver's handbook says "At intersections without "STOP" or "YIELD" signs, slow down and be ready to stop."

Emphasis on "Be ready to STOP", which means cars need to be going slow enough to be able to stop for WHATEVER might be around that blind corner. You need to always drive slow enough to stop before you hit whatever hazard might be around a corner you cannot see -- there could be a stalled car, a tow truck, or a Marborg truck -- you need to be prepared to stop for ANYTHING.

Stop being dense and just slow down around corners. Okay?

54% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.