Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 68.9°F | Humidity: 80% | Pressure: 29.77in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SW | Wind Speed: 2.2mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login Happy Birthday to edhat's dedicated publisher, Sue!

15584 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Big Yellow House Update
updated: Feb 27, 2013, 11:44 AM

By Edhat Subscriber

Anyone know what is going on at the Big Yellow House in Summerland. I drive by everyday on my Ventura to Goleta commute and doesn't seem like much is happening.

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 379329 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 11:47 AM

Its being refurbished to be be a collection of shops, not a restaurant. Don't know if that will happen.

COMMENT 379341 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 12:04 PM

I miss the old Big Yellow House. It doesn't look the same. They've remodeled, looks like it's stucco on the outside.

COMMENT 379344P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 12:08 PM

Usually I don't believe in cursed buildings, but that one...
?

COMMENT 379355 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 12:19 PM

They want way, way way too much money for the building and the location. We'll see what comes in (probably a law firm)

I always wonder why do people are willing to commute 45miles each way.

90 miles a day x 5 days = 450mi a week spent driving to and from work.
$4.50 a gallon x 30 mpg = approx. $3500 a year on gas alone + wear and tear and other costs.
Approx 10 hours a week x 50 = 500 hours a year spent commuting.

Crazy.

COMMENT 379359 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 12:23 PM

Paul Franz Construction bought it out of bankruptcy after SB's old friend Bernie Rosenson (the guy who bought and ran Wine Cask into the ground) ran that other local treasure into the ground as well. They've been refurbishing it, but of course these days you can't just clean it up, they had to add an elevator, make everything ADA accessible and bend over for a bunch of other SB County building codes. Radius has it listed for lease, but as usual its overpriced for Summerland and its just sitting there vacant.

COMMENT 379375 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 12:45 PM

I had the same phone number as the Big Yellow House when I was growing up in SB - minus one digit. My dad used to have fun with people who would call our house while trying to make a reservation. Just a little levity!

COMMENT 379383 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 12:54 PM

Chicken, steak, and a building's fate.

COMMENT 379413 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 01:20 PM

355 -- Got a sweet deal, OWN a beautiful home, only have to commute two times a week ALONG the OCEAN during off hours, company paid car and gas, learning another language as I commute, making GREAT money -- why wouldn't I? Have a great week!

COMMENT 379464 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 02:21 PM

@413- Sweet! Need an assistant?

COMMENT 379467 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 02:21 PM

I love re-reading this post every 6 weeks.

COMMENT 379470 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 02:26 PM

to comment 9355. We need to remember that not everyone is blessed enough to be able to work AND live in Santa Barbara or Goleta ( whichever the case may be). Some people can only afford to live in Ventura even if they work in Goleta. Then again some people that live in Goleta may not have been able to find a job that pays enough close to home and Ventura may have more promising positions. If you are lucky enough to live close to where you work you should be thankful and maybe not so critical of those who are not as lucky.

COMMENT 379484 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 02:59 PM

Another very special, historic jewel which wasn't protected.

COMMENT 379495 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 03:13 PM

i still think they should turn it into a jiggle joint

COMMENT 379520 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 04:01 PM

470 - The math shows that if you commute from Ventura to Goleta every day, and account for your time being worth a min of $10 an hour. One would spend between $4000-8000 a year just on the commute. ($10 an hour is pretty low)

I don't think people calculate the true costs of a 45 mile commute. If they did they'd realize that they may not be saving any money and certainly dont save time.

You can always make more money, however you cannot make more time... This is just an observation I simply wonder why people make choices that are not always in their best interest. I understand that circumstances are unique for each person but I also dont think people look at the bigger picture when making choices.

COMMENT 379535 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 04:17 PM

Commuting from Ventura to Santa Barbara:

Gas: $200/month
Time spent in car: approx. 18 hours every two weeks
Savings on rent: approx $600 per month

Free childcare from Grandma: Priceless!!

COMMENT 379537 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 04:20 PM

355 has some good points. While for some people commuting makes sense for some others ... not so much. Something that many commuters forget to factor in is the cost of gas, wear and tear, and the time you spend. My time is worth a lot to me. If you do some simple math, in the long run commuting can easily cost more.

Being conservative;

Lets assume a 48 week work year after vacation, sick days, and holidays.

Lets say the drive from ventura is an additional 30 miles than the drive from a local residence. 60 miles per day.

Lets say they car you drive gets 30mpg

Lets average $0.15 per mile wear and tear

Factoring traffic you spend 45 minutes each way or 1.5 hrs per day.

Lets assume your time is worth $15 an hour.

48 * 5 = 240 days

60mi / 30mpg = 2 gallons = $9
60mi * $.15 wear and tear = $9
1.5hrs * $15 cost of time = $22.50

=$40.50 per day * 240 days = $9,720.00 per year.

And if you are house shopping, in 30 years you will spend $291,600.00.

COMMENT 379564 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 04:44 PM

Ha! After reading all the posts I forgot the original question from the OP. Sorry for being off topic, and I dont know anything about the Big Yellow House.

COMMENT 379622 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 06:13 PM

+ how many speeding tickets and accidents = ?

COMMENT 379735 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-28 06:37 AM

The building is currently for lease.

COMMENT 379762 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-28 07:47 AM

I commuted from Ventura to SB for over a year. I moved back home from college and landed a fantastic job in SB, but my family is in Ventura. The issue with the commute for me was not the money (I was saving money with little rent and a good salary), but the hours and time spent in the car were draining. I woke up early, went to work, arrived home and wanted to sleep already. I moved up to Goleta and am now 5 minutes from work. I'm happier and more productive at work, but I would definitely buy a home in Ventura. I don't know any friends who own a home in SB. We are all renting or own in Ventura or Bulleton....

COMMENT 379764 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-28 07:56 AM

Some of these calculations leave out some additional costs of vehicle travel.

Add tire replacement, oil changes, engine maintenance, a transmission every few years, brakes, higher insurance, mileage based depreciation and it all adds up. Chews a big hole in your wallet but you don't even see it happening.

And that doesn't even cover the wear and tear on *you*.

COMMENT 379771P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-28 08:17 AM

When will we get light rail to and from Ventura? That would change a big part of the equation. The lost time can be changed into a time of rest on the train, and costs would be way lower. Then we can connect to a high speed rail hub to SF as well. I wonder if this dream will happen?

COMMENT 379775P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-28 08:28 AM

How smug we are to critcize people who have a long commute without knowing the circumstances that may be acting on them in their lives. Someday the critics may experience these kind of forces and understand. Until then, I suggest they be more polite and follow the golden rule.

COMMENT 379784P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-28 09:03 AM

Good grief! In this economy, many folks consider themselves fortunate to HAVE a job, regardless of how far they have to drive to get to it. Local employment is the ideal, but not always the reality.

LUCKY 777 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-28 09:48 AM

Only one person mentioned that they are "learning a new language as they drive" so once again off-topic I am putting in a plug for audio books and learning by listening in the vehicle as you drive. I use Simply Audio Books online, that works like NetFlix and sends me books on CDs and everywhere I go I listen to literature. If you are poor, the library has a selection that can get you started.

COMMENT 379839 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-28 12:09 PM

My main home (and my hubby) are in LA, but my job is here so I rent a room in SB and go home on weekends. Very thankful to have a decent job these days, but I agree the distance is tough. However, employment in certain industries is very competitive/hard to find real work here, so there's no way my husband and I will relocate to this area and make him have to give up his job. The high cost of living vs. area isolation and poor job prospects here just don't make it feasible. I realize it's not an ideal situation, but this current job I have won't last forever so it's not worth the move. For those of you fortunate enough to have both home and job here, don't pick on those of us who don't - it's a very thin line here between affordable and poor.

COMMENT 380084P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-03-01 07:24 AM

On subject and off subject. Originally the Big Yellow house was sold at auction as a piece of surplus property by the state.I will not divulge the sales price . It truly was a bargain. Second point. I once asked the head of the LA Museum of art how he could live in LA and spend 2 hours a day commuting. His comment to me opened my eyes to the beauty of being a positive thinker. He said" He and his wife looked forward to the time spent together" They used the time together to communicate with each other. I learned the true meaning that every challenge truly does have a silver lining. Watch Mel's video for today when you begin to feel sorry for yourself. It is easy for me because I now have everything but there was a time when my family had nothing; No car, no refrigerator, no job etc.

22% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.