Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 55.4°F | Humidity: 99% | Pressure: 29.79in ( Falling) | Conditions: Scattered Clouds | Wind Direction: East | Wind Speed: 0.7mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15843 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Auto Vandalism
updated: Feb 26, 2013, 8:44 PM

SBPD responding code 3 to Sansum Clinic parking lot on Calle Real at Pasetas Lane for someone smashing vehicle windows..

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

2013-02-26 08:45 PM

Major vandlism going on..

2013-02-26 08:45 PM

Alot of police in the area I'm sure people are hearing the sirens..

2013-02-26 08:46 PM

Now reducing responding units to code 2..

2013-02-26 08:47 PM

Police not hearing glass breaking or signs of such..

2013-02-26 08:48 PM

Police are looking for a white male adult 50 years old wearing dark clothing..Last seen heading toward Calle Real..

2013-02-26 08:49 PM

PD Searching the area..

2013-02-26 08:52 PM

Suspect last seen wearing Tan Pants and a grey overcoat on Calle Real.

COMMENT 379088P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 09:09 PM

From Major vandalism to dude wearing tan pnants. Interesting...

2013-02-26 09:42 PM

I didn't spell it that way.

COMMENT 379128 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 07:19 AM

Schizophrenia is a major problem with the homeless. Drugs or other causes can do that to you.

COMMENT 379163 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 08:23 AM

Drugs do not cause schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a serious mental disease that can be tricky to successfully treat and because of that (as well as basic misunderstanding of the disease amongst the public!) it can lead to a lifetime of stigma and judgement. That can lead people to turn to drugs or alcohol to cope. But often people with schizophrenia can have the appearance of being high on drugs or extremely intoxicated.

There are several types of schizophrenia and within those types, several gradations of severity, all of which have different symptoms. While a certain type of this disease can cause people to react violently, most people with it are NOT violent or confrontational and are actually more prone to quiet and inward focused behaviors.

COMMENT 379169P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 08:30 AM

Schizophrenia or not this dude should be someplace where he won't smash windows - or anything else.

COMMENT 379195 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 09:07 AM

It's more like a case of homelessness is a common byproduct of schitsoid disorders. These people are not able o deal and cope with people without an inordinately large time allotment and a lot of patience. Most people you meet in public are too self-absorbed to take the time to notice or allow them a chance. It takes a very deliberate effort to engage these individuals in an effective manner. Takes loads of kindness and compassion and patience. The problem is that the ones who are scamming are taking advantage of the generosity that should be directed to the mentally deficient.

COMMENT 379200 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 09:13 AM

I completely agree with 163! However many people are not educated in mental health or in drug and alcohol abuse areas. Yes, it is true, many mentally ill self medicate with drugs and or alcohol but many addicts have used for so long the chemistry in their brain has changed on a level that makes it appear that (even if not high at the time) they are mentally ill. There is just so much more to it then throwing out mentally ill or drug addict..every case is different and not everyone who is homeless fits those categories. Hense the reason the "war on homelessness" isn't one that will be "won" easily. People who don't know or don't care just group everyone they don't want to deal with into one category and go on living their lives. Sad. However they say ignorance is bliss..

2013-02-27 09:25 AM

Remember Alcohol, Caffene, and sugar are drugs too..

COMMENT 379227 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 09:33 AM

169p, you missed the point. We don't know what this guy's deal is. He may or may not be mentally ill. Speculation doesn't help people who really are misunderstood. This guy may just be a drugged out violent criminal. Until we know, the point is that we can't really decide it's because of one thing or another.

193, not helping. Hurting. Stop with the Obamacare agenda.

COMMENT 379255 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 10:19 AM

Ask the professionals in Psychology. Even pot can trigger schizophrenia. Not always, but it happens.

COMMENT 379257P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 10:27 AM

-255
Correct. If a person has mental illness in their family pot can trigger psychotic symptoms. Keep doing it and the symptoms might not go away.

2013-02-27 11:03 AM

I hear voices all the time...They say "Buy a Wood Chipper, you'll make millions.." I guess I'd use it on the jerks that make up lies about marijuana first then go to prison where I'd make license plates instead.

COMMENT 379312 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 11:23 AM

Any drug, legal or illegal, can excacerbate schizophrenia. Even "harmless" marijuana. Those with Schiz smoke weed to quiet the voices in their heads. Unfortunately, it makes matters worse.

Don't believe it? Ask any mental health professional. They see it all the time.

2013-02-27 11:43 AM

Say what you will I have been doing it since 7 years of age took alittle break during the aa beers and I haven't listened to those darn voices yet...YET. Mental health professionals hustle money just like everyone else..I think many of them would laugh at your statements anyway the ones that are not quacks.

2013-02-27 11:45 AM

PS Getting smacked in the head can make you hear voices too, see stars..I hit my head the other day on State street and saw Matt Damon walk by.

COMMENT 379356 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 12:20 PM

Roger, you are not the only person in the world who has experienced this. I am living it. Drugs of any kind can and do very often elevate schiz. No question. YRMV

2013-02-27 12:35 PM

I'm notschizophrenic..Alittle homicidal maybe but SNOT schizophrenic, the voices I hear are the dead. I have ESPN.

COMMENT 379526 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 04:08 PM

I live 4 blocks away from Pesetas. Our quiet and hidden little neighborhood is getting scarier and scarier. We have drug bums living along the 101 in the bushes and walking along Calle Real all day, from HiTime and more bushes there. Now we have a neighbor who drives drunk and was involved in beating an old lady after tagging, the incident when the UPS driver got involved to save the lady. Nice neighbors.

2013-02-27 04:37 PM

Bummer I'm sorry your HOOD is getting bad..Alot of bad things going on latley.

2013-02-27 05:23 PM

@356 I don't mean to make it sound like I'm critizing you..I am wacked myself..I get accused of it alot..The only time I have ever heard voices except for the espn stuff is when I mix alcohol with pot, that is the only time. So I don't drink..There was some experiences with LSD acouple times back in the 70's and 90's..I'm actually a depressive, I also have PTSD from being molested and raped and paying acouple of em back..Life is hard it aien't easy especally when your down with this stuff..I have nothing matieral I can't save money I get really depressed sometimes and suicides a passing though because I'm a cursed catholic. That is why I'm always joking around because when I start wallowing things get really bad. Mental Health professionals can't do nothing to remove my pain. One atavin per day and a bowl or two of weed make my life alittle bearable. I'm sorry you have trouble too life aien't easy..

67% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 2 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.