Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 58.5°F | Humidity: 100% | Pressure: 29.82in (Rising) | Conditions: Heavy Rain | Wind Direction: SW | Wind Speed: 5.4mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15843 Subscribers

The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Local Stories by Local People
updated: Feb 26, 2013, 8:33 PM

By 2016, bicyclists should be saying sayonara to the slippery spots of roadway on Bella Vista Lane near the Romero Canyon trailhead.

External Link

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 379073 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 08:46 PM

Boy howdy! I've sucked my seat up a few times on my early morning rides when those crossings are still wet.

UNCLEBILLY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 11:47 PM

A few years back I did a night ride and went through that crossing. Had a serious wipe out. Plowed through the quarter inch of wet algae on my side all the way onto the pavement on the other side. Broke a few ribs and had road burn so badly my thigh was bleeding. I sucked up the pain and rode all the way back home near the Mission. Thought to self: "what the hell was I doing flying thru a wet algae covered crossing on a mountain bike"? I didn't need to sue the taxpayers for my reckless and stupid behavior/carelessness!

COMMENT 379173 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 08:35 AM

Unclebilly, I've had many close encounters on that same patch as well, and am definitely glad it won't happen anymore. I do agree, though that it's a bit petty to sue for something like that.

I'd like the city/state/county/whoever to keep the roads in adequate condition, but I understand they can't get to all of them. Nobody could. If they really want a list, I could nameoff hundreds of places in town that could desperately use some fresh pavement. If anyone else noticed, they finally got the message that the top of Gibraltar was not getting any better on its own.

COMMENT 379235 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 09:41 AM

It's not a matter of " getting to all of them " it is a known issue, we all know ( as did she ) about the crossing. If its too hard,walk your bike. If still too hard don't take that way.

When people complain about excess budget spending, I always think of these types of lawsuits. When some criticize the police department for getting new gear. But yet this woman sues her city because she can't keep the rubber side down, getting who knows how much. Seems more like a waste than giving cops some scooters

COMMENT 379320 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 11:39 AM

well said 235. Many of us have gone down there over the years. Lawsuits and the people who file them are a major problem in our society.

COMMENT 379335 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 11:56 AM

I know three people who were injured there on road bikes. It is slick as ice, dry or wet. However, nobody crashes there until they try to lean and turn after the crossing. All of them had the sense to say afterwards, "what a stupid thing to do" and they never crashed there again. Not this lady! Likely nothing in her life was ever her fault. Weak! There's 2.9 million less dollars for things that matter.

COMMENT 379560 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 04:38 PM

235:

If you reread the first part of my comment, I stated that I feel the lawsuit is petty. She should not have sued, as it only removes money.

That being said, it is not permissible for the government to simply shrug off damages in roadways that cause significant hazards. You can't simply walk your car around potholes, bumps, cracks, rocks, etc. It's as dangerous for a car as a bicycle, and is something that should be addressed, not simply "known".

COMMENT 379912 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-28 03:30 PM

2.9 million? REALLY??? Oh now I am truly disgusted.

13% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.