Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 70.7°F | Humidity: 32% | Pressure: 29.87in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 3.1mph [see map]

Free Newsletter

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Spring Is In The Air
updated: Feb 26, 2013, 5:00 PM

By Steve McGovern

It's that time of year, again, ladies and gentlemen. Spring. Rebirth. New life. It's getting sunnier, warmer, except in the upper midwest where the snow storms now may include the occasional tornado.

The birds are at it, and I imagine the bees are too, but I don't see too many bees from the places I normally take pictures. But, boy! Those birds. Here are some recent examples from my back porch and a couple of other places. (By the way, no editing other than a slight adjustment to lighting and some cropping. I always feel I have to say that when posting here...)

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

It was interesting to see the male dove, above, sneak up on the female. Well, sneak up might be the wrong word. He was calling, dancing, puffing up, flying toward her and then backing off. Then... Well, I shut my eyes but I also released the shutter on my camera.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

The red tailed hawks in the two pictures posted are doing a dance of their own. Full flaps to get close, then a wrestling match in flight. This was a few days ago, and today I spotted one flying around with a branch in his beak. Hawks mate for life, so I guess this aerial acrobatic routine maintains the excitement in their lives.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

I don't know if, for a raven, flying upside down has anything to do with spring time. But it is an amazing feat of flying magic. I thought only fighter planes piloted by Tom Cruise could do this. Read that ravens have been seen flying upside down for up to a half mile. Whew.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

These osprey over Goleta Slough did nothing untoward, just flew around together for awhile. Old married couple or newlyweds... Don't know.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Again, I don't know how much this has to do with spring, and these are probably two males fighting over a female (or territory, or both), but they might just be practicing to fight over a female (or territory, or both). Or one could be a female, for that matter. Whatever, they never got any friendlier.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

And, finally, the lonely bachelor. "Someone please notice me! Please! It's Spring!"

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

CRUELTYFREE agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 05:05 PM

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

COMMENT 378982 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 05:11 PM

Surprise bird sex? Ok

COMMENT 378983 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 05:12 PM

Wow, now that's impressive multi-tasking on the hawks' part. On a side note, Spring must really be in the air since my hayfever went from non-existent to intense this afternoon.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 05:39 PM

All of these are lovely and the first one is VERY nice - oh, those naughty doves. It's a good thing you closed your eyes. And the beautiful hummer! If I were a lady hummer he wouldn't be a bachelor long.

COMMENT 379011 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 06:13 PM

Excellent photos---thank you so much!!

COMMENT 379029 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 06:37 PM

Wonderful photos!

COMMENT 379036 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 06:58 PM

Just out of curiosity, where was the picture of the doves taken? We have a "couple" who has been nesting in our tree for years. Great pics, thanks for sharing!

COMMENT 379079 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 08:50 PM

Here comes spring, flowers bloom, birds sing and schwing.

COMMENT 379104P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 01:22 AM

Ravens or crows?

YIN YANG agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 03:11 AM

Fantastic pics, thanks! I sure have never seen a bird fly upside down.

POWDRELL agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 05:49 AM

Great article. Excellent photos. Fun. Thanks.

DDPHOTOGRAPHY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 08:28 AM

Fantastic photographs and great captures!

COMMENT 379167 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 08:29 AM

I love your bird pics. Thanks!

COMMENT 379181 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 08:45 AM

Those are wonderful photos! I also have a pair of doves in my yard and love watching them call each other and interact, although I probably would have closed my eyes at this moment as well. And thank you for today's ear worm..."Birds do it, bees do it. Even educated fleas do it. Let's do it, let's fall in love"

RDH agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 08:48 AM

Very entertaining subject well illustrated. Thank you.

COMMENT 379191 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 08:57 AM

Great pictures. We were hiking up at Nordoff Peak in the Ojai area over the weekend and saw a raven perform two forward rolls and fly upside down for a short distance. If was an amazing thing to see and something I had never seen before. Spring literally is in the air!

COMMENT 379379 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 12:49 PM

Is that a Rufous Hummingbird?

COMMENT 379440 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 01:57 PM

Fabulous photos Steve! Spring is definitely in full swing!

SEEDLADY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-28 10:39 AM

I love to sing-a
Bout the Moon-a and the [birdies]* and the Spring-a,
I Love to sing-a
Bout a sky of blue an a Tea for Two anything with a swinga to an I Love You
I-I-I love-a to, I-I-I love-a to sing!!
*( with apologies to Warner Bros animation)

42% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.