Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 58.5°F | Humidity: 92% | Pressure: 29.90in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SW | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15654 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Birds of Prey
updated: Feb 26, 2013, 3:44 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

These guys were hanging out at the end of the sand spit and were fishing for their lunch.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 378965 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 04:35 PM

Ha, I actually thought I might see photos of birds of prey and you tricked me with egrets. When I see an egret with a hooked beak and huge talons bearing down on a vertebrate at over 100 mph then I'll porbably believe that even pigs can fly.

COMMENT 379038 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 07:11 PM

Egrets are not raptors.

COMMENT 379081 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 08:51 PM

So what do they eat? Berries and flowers?

COMMENT 379106P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 01:36 AM

You know, Egrets are predatory. They eat fish, frogs, lizards. I don't think they can be called "birds of prey," however. Not without tongue held firmly in cheek.

COMMENT 379107P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 01:38 AM

Yeah, okay. I looked it up. By definition "birds of prey" have hooked beaks and talons.

COMMENT 379121P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 07:07 AM

Birds 'a preying...

COMMENT 379147 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 08:03 AM

I once watched a different type of heron (not an egret) hunt and catch a baby ground squirrel in Shoreline Park. Stabbed him with his pointy beak, it was like watching Wild Kingdom. So cool! They do eat things other than fish. But no, they are not birds of prey.

COMMENT 379157 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 08:17 AM

Birds of prey, looking for dinner! I love egrits, there were two who would hunt in the field near my house, one even landed on my garage roof checking out the scene from there. I was in awe - they are beautiful and majestic.

COMMENT 379196 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 09:07 AM

Nice shot! I grew up learning to surf part of the time there and at the Pit. We always called it the sand bar. Sandspit I think is at Goleta beach creek mouth. It's road name is Sandspit as well. Can anyone clarify that for me please.

COMMENT 379436 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 01:55 PM

Maybe not a "bird of prey" as defined but definitely they are. They very commonly take ground squirrel and I have even seen them choke down full grown rabbits.

30% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.