Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 72.5°F | Humidity: 92% | Pressure: 29.98in (Rising) | Conditions: Haze | Wind Direction: ENE | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15652 Subscribers

Wine Tasting and Yacht Tours
Wine Tasting and Yacht Tours

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Tell them you found them on Edhat!
www.edhat.com/referrals

Hair Replacement for Alopecia
updated: Feb 26, 2013, 10:43 AM

I am wondering if anyone knows of a local person/salon that does hair replacement for people losing their hair. I was recently diagnosed with alopecia and have been researching different options, and the closest place I found that provides this service is in Calabasas.

To clarify, I am NOT talking about hair transplant surgery, nor am I talking about a traditional wig. I am talking about hair replacement that involves attaching human hair pieces to one's head (usually using adhesive or microlink extensions). I have been to Kimberly's Wigs and did not find them helpful, and I have also been to Eliane Alexandre, who sells very expensive wigs and clip-in pieces. I am looking for hair replacement, which would involve the hair being attached to my head, allowing me to sleep, shower, swim, etc. like a normal person.

There MUST be someone in this area who does this, as I know I am not the only one in Santa Barbara who has ever suffered from hair loss and didn't want to go the wig route. If anyone has any information on this subject, I would be incredibly grateful. And if any other women reading this have dealt with alopecia/hair loss, I would love to connect as well for mutual support! This has been the most difficult thing I have been through in my life, and I've been through a lot!

Places People Are Talking About:

Lonnie Loenmommyraw.wordpress.com sbhairloss@gmail.com
Shear Pleasure

What People Are Saying:

SBSURFERLIFE agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 10:54 AM

Unfortunately I don't have a referral or know of anyone who has gone through this, but I want to extend well wishes to you. I hope things go smoothly. You're right, there has to be someone in town who can help. Best of luck to you!

COMMENT 378835 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 10:58 AM

Try contacting Dr. Gregory Keller and see what they can tell you. 805.687.6408

COMMENT 378846 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 11:22 AM

Try calling Lonnie Loen @ 805-320-6835. Located in Montecito on Coast Village Road. Used to be Audace, but recently changed the company name - but same location and phone number. He does what you are looking for.

COMMENT 378847 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 11:26 AM

This sounds like what the starlets get, called hair extensions. Would only work if you have some hair to attach them to. I did have hair loss from chemotherapy, and had worn a scratchy wig for just a few days, when a totally bald man (from chemo) came into a restaurant where I was, and nobody blinked an eye. And I thought, the heck with it, if he can do it, so can I. Never wore the wig again. Look at recent photos of Robin Roberts. A little makeup and some nice earrings, and bald can be beautiful. You'd love showering, way faster. Honest.

COMMENT 378848P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 11:28 AM

I've have a lot of life's 'conditions', I am glad alopecia is not one of them. Good luck.

COMMENT 378887P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 01:13 PM

My sister had alopecia for several years and was completely bald. She went the wig route. Her hair ended up coming back, though it is thinner than before, so you never know.

Best of luck. My sister lives in Colorado, so I don't know any local resources. She did join a national support group, and found some help there.

COMMENT 378888 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 01:17 PM

847 - the poster has been clear that she wants to have hair - extensions likely. Bald doesn't work for everyone. Keep in mind that most cases of alopecia do not involve total hair loss - it's sporadic - tufts can come out - it can be devastating to someone who has never had the problem before. OP-I lost my eyebrows - they just fell out and Dr. Keller helped me (sharpies were not an option). It's such a tough ailment because it is so unpredicatable. Hang in there - I wish you well and hope you find the solution that works best for you and that people are kind to you.

COMMENT 378922 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 02:44 PM

Ask your dermatologist. They see alopecia all the time, and likely have some good suggestions for you.

COMMENT 379016 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 06:20 PM

I second (third?) the recommendation to ask your dermatologist. They actually probably have a better resource of referrals to local places that have a service like this.

But I'll tell you that sadly, you may have to venture to the big city (LA or SF) for an actual professional who does this sort of thing.

Best of luck to you. To say this is a total bummer is a huge understatement. Good luck!

COMMENT 379040 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 07:16 PM

Or, just accept baldness. Chicks dig that.

COMMENT 379067 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 08:29 PM

040, occur to you that this might indeed be a 'chick'?

COMMENT 379182 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 08:45 AM

Call Cindy Brokaw at Shear Pleasure in Montecito. She will have the right recommendation for you. 969-0132

ELELLEN2 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 11:09 AM

I have an universal alopecia since I was 21 years old. If you are luck and your hair that is left is strong you can go with extensions but your demetoloist will tell its not a great option. You can go onto the site www.baldgirlsdolunch.com they have a lot of good information for you. I wish you good luck. For me since I have little to no hair wigs are the only option, there is a company called Peggy knight who does vacuum wigs that allows you to be free of taking it off and can wash and wear it as you please for about 6 to 9 months but its expensive. Another company sells the Hugger wig look it up online or call then at 1-800-434-4552. Happy hunting and let me know how it goes.

COMMENT 379300P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 11:14 AM

My hair is thinning gradually and I hope that it will stop, because I have little left to lose. I've put it down to a poorly operating thyroid, for which I take medication. Trying to change my diet and such hasn't helped. My NP says it 'comes with age'. Gee thanks.
I hope you can find a local support group, which doesn't have to be formal, just people reaching out and sharing, even over the Net. Best wishes to you!

COMMENT 437210P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-07-30 04:56 PM

OP here...Just wanted to comment in case anyone is google searching and finds this posting! I am trying to start a local support group for women with hair loss (of any kind). I posted a craig's list ad which can be viewed here: http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/grp/3970429546.html

I also found that Leora Gaspar at Red Studio in Montecito has a private room for hair loss clients and does hair replacement for a few clients. She is the only person I found in the SB area. Kiley Hartwich at Rejuvenations Salon in Thousand Oaks is the best person I have found closer than LA and I would highly recommend her.

COMMENT 447461P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-09-03 10:04 AM

A new support group is starting for women.

Email for more information: sbhairloss@gmail.com

You can also read this blog written by a local woman: http://mommyraw.wordpress.com/