Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 82.4°F | Humidity: 47% | Pressure: 29.97in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 5.4mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise

15400 Subscribers
      684 Paid (4.4%)
     194 Commenters
     107926 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Westside Fight
updated: Feb 24, 2013, 4:50 PM

Subjects fighting with baseball bats @ Sola and Kowalski Ave. Numerous reporting parties, SBPD is responding.

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:53 PM

Code 3. Fighters leaving area a red Ford Explorer, and white Lincolyn the Lincolyn headed toward Victoria..Possibly a white Cadallic involved East on Victoria...Broke it up fast before police could arrive.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:55 PM

801 West Victoria cross of Chino Assault victim..Stab victim. That is what it sounded like..

COMMENT 378205 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:56 PM

No home runs?

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:59 PM

Engine one and medics were staged now allowed to go in..

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:59 PM

Stabbing victim.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 05:02 PM

Engine one went into service quick..Nothing to do with this call but theres a code blue medical at McKenzie Park, subject down next to a tree.

COMMENT 378209 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 05:02 PM

Gang problem?
Santa Barbara doesn't have a gang problem.

COMMENT 378210 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 05:04 PM

What I see from my house right now: 2 police units detaining a subject on Sola @ Chino. Ambo just blasted by. Maybe to site on Victoria?

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 05:07 PM

Engine 5 repoting the guy in the park is not code blue Those drunks get ya everytime...

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 05:07 PM

I've only heard of one victim over there everyone else drove away..

COMMENT 378223 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 05:47 PM

I just seen the whole thing on chino n victoria

COMMENT 378225 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 05:58 PM

What's the deal? We have mobs of HM's roaming the streets with bats, knife's, guns, and other weapons going up against each other at any given moment? And the city won't do anything about it? Worthless!

COMMENT 378226 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 06:07 PM

Nor will the city address DRUNKS and over night campers in our parks !

COMMENT 378227 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 06:10 PM

223 if you are a witness you need to call the police to speak to an officer, 897 2410.

COMMENT 378228 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 06:26 PM

"Peeeeeeeanuts, get your peeeeeeanuts!" Popcorn! . . Peeeeanuts. . . .

COMMENT 378229P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 06:30 PM

Wow, lived one block from there until last month, so glad I moved my kids out of there!

COMMENT 378232P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 06:43 PM

What's with all the firecrackers in the WS? Quite a few this evening around 6:30. Sure are annoying!

COMMENT 378235 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 06:59 PM

And they're using getaway car's? Wouldn't their insurance companies love to know what they're up to? That would be if they are insured or even licensed. I find it amazing the PD can't clean this up. It's not like we're talking about a large area. Seems like a Police Department worth anything would have this fixed within a few months.

COMMENT 378237 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 07:09 PM

236, why is assuming that a lot of troubled kids are fatherless "racist"? It's a well known fact that kids (of all stripes) often don't do well when dads leave.
In any case... where ARE the parents!?

COMMENT 378239 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 07:16 PM

How is that racist? What race are they? Last I checked Latino/Mexican or whatever you are assuming is a nationality not a race.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 07:16 PM

I don't think those were racist comments but what the HELL do I know I'm a Russian Gypsy!

COMMENT 378241 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 07:19 PM

236...Uhm....No. Maybe just sick of gang violence? Usually parents know what their kids are up to and if they knew they were involved in a gang, they would do something about it. Reasonable? And if your running around beating and stabbing each other, how can you afford to maintain a drivers license, insurance, and maintenance? Kids without fathers are at increased risk of getting into this type of activity because a good father wouldn't let his kids get involved. Simple and logical thinking. Racist would be illogically reaching from a seat of shame.

COMMENT 378243 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 07:28 PM

This is a case of eastsiders looking for trouble on the westside. There is a serious gang problem. We need someone like Richard Ramos to come in and get them talking, and call an end to this violence that often involves innocent victims who "look like" an opposing member of the other side of town. Call for a peacemaker who they will respect and listen to. Turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the children to respect those in authority. This is the message of Richard Ramos

COMMENT 378245 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 07:36 PM

What "gang injunction". Get Mayor Schiender and milk toast Councilmembers ( Grant House), Out ! Chief Sanchez OUT! How much ineffective "leadership" does a City have to tolerate?

COMMENT 378247 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 07:42 PM

Ban bat's now. We need bat registration background checks!!

COMMENT 378249P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 07:44 PM

I was a single mother and I always knew where my kids were. I am pretty sure I would handle the situation if I found out my kids were in a gang. I was a single mother, worked and kept track of my kids. Hmmmmm

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 07:44 PM

Will there goes baseball season!

COMMENT 378259 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 08:09 PM

I'm certainly glad that I moved away from downtown--scary and scummy. Sad but true!

COMMENT 378260 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 08:09 PM

Wow, it's Oscar night and we have Field of Dreams on the Westside and Django Unchained on Edhat. A memorable evening for all...

COMMENT 378261 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 08:13 PM

The failed war on drugs is the root of all this evil. These smaller gangs we have in town answer to the powerful Mexican mafia and they work closely with the cartels. The bigger picture is BIG. So yes turf= drug sales. This is not rocket science. END THE DRUG WARS NOW!! Less people will die over dosing than this endless war. But NO the people in charge want to keep jobs. Its a circle with no end. You would think after 60years of this failed war we would have learned something from it. Just plain stupid..

COMMENT 378263 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 08:31 PM

@247 WRONG!! Just a bunch of hoodlums looking for trouble. They might be on drugs but no drug lords involved. Your making it BIGGER than it really is

COMMENT 378265 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 08:37 PM

The fireworks are to dull your senses to gunfire. When you start hearing fireworks often, get ready. Some is going to get shot at soon. Maybe a day, or two, or three.

COMMENT 378267P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 08:59 PM

Regarding the fireworks: I'm beginning to think they are a gang signal too.
I just caught a pyro kid setting off an incendiary device (bottle/shattered glass, shirt/cloth, explosive material) in the alley next to Harding School yesterday. I chased him off and cleaned up the mess of glass he left. The next day found another mess along with a wierd pink paint-like stain on the ground with more glass and cloth. I'm on the lookout!

COMMENT 378271P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 09:24 PM

Ha, "rumble" is such an old-fashioned word. Kinda like we are on the set of Westside Story.
I would point out that when we, presumably the law-abiding folks who don't belong to gangs, argue and call each other names, it's clear we are not setting a very good example for these kids we say are harming our community.
The first step to turning around bad elements is to set an example. How about if we showed respect, took time to compose thoughtful posts, and did not just lash out with stereotypes or knee jerk reactions....even though we are frustrated and scared.
In all seriousness, I can't help but feel that Santa Barbara is at a crossroads. In all my years here, violent people did not roam neighborhoods looking to destroy property or cause physical harm.
Where will this go if even we can't engage each other with earnest and open dialogue?

COMMENT 378319P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-25 06:53 AM

Umm keep in mind that a lot of these guys are 2nd, 3rd, maybe even 4th generation gang members at this point! Went to criminal court to observe one day and there were a few young teenaged gangmembers up there in orange jumpsuits. The mom of one was sitting in in front of me with 3 of her other kids and one of them who was about 8 years old, tried to steal my purse from my chair next to me. I told him to knock it off but he tried it again a few minutes later so I told his mother. She started to yell at me and threaten to kick my "white butt" in the court, it was quite obvious that the apple in the orange jumpsuit learned from her. And she was pretty scary! I would NOT want to run into her around town that's for sure. Maybe the father is in prison and the son and him are bonding now because those boys were in trouble for stabbing and killing another boy here in town.

COMMENT 378415P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-25 10:06 AM

Well, someone needs to do SOMEthing, ANYthing! The gang problem is now officially out of control and if the police don't start doing something about it, then the citizens must!

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-25 11:11 AM

Will Tuesday shooting East Side, Sunday stabbing West Side, whos turn is it now?

46% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 9 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.

Comments on this thread are only open to Community Members.

# # # #