Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 56.3°F | Humidity: 99% | Pressure: 29.86in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: NNW | Wind Speed: 1.6mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15809 Subscribers
      686 Paid (4.3%)
     1 Commenters
     1820 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Stop A Stop Sign
updated: Feb 24, 2013, 1:50 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

Recently I noticed a traffic counter line stretched across the street near my house and I'm wondering if it's a portent of things to come, i.e. a stop sign (hopefully not on my corner). Who at the City would I contact to find out what plans, if any there are for such an addition? Further, what steps would you, my fellow EdHeads recommend for "going NIMBY" and preventing this? A stop sign, although inevitable on my street which has become a bit of a thoroughfare, would be much better suited one block further up from my corner. There the cross street connects all the way through the residential neighborhood to the next larger street/thoroughfare. Also, the intersection one block up from me meets a City Park parking lot and is saddled with much more pedestrian traffic, so for safety reasons I also feel a sign would be better off there. I'm imagining a petition of sorts might be in order? Or a well-placed/written letter to...who? Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 378152 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 01:56 PM

Don't mess with the underlings. Send the letter (with any maps, diagrams, etc) to the Mayor with copies to members of the City Council; also the director of Public Works.

COMMENT 378154 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 02:05 PM

Don't worry, it's not im-portent.

YIN YANG agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 02:23 PM

I had a very timely (my call was returned same day), in-depth response and conversation from someone at City Traffic last time I called, about the driveway to BevMo & timing of the traffic light from De la Vina onto State.

And don't jump too far to too many conclusions -- I see traffic counters regularly and nothing is altered or put in after their use. Most recently was at State & Hope Ave. and Patterson overpass more than once, in my experience. It may simply be usage that is being monitored.

SB City/Public Works/Traffic Operations: 564-5385
Transportation Planning/Visibility, Curb Issues, Speeding and Signs: 564-5395

COMMENT 378168 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 03:23 PM

I agree with YIN. So many of these devices have been placed to record number, frequency and speed of vehicles along a stretch of roadway nothing usually comes from it. You may well get a report summary of what they are looking for and you may even be surprised at the conclusions they arrive at to justify doing nothing.

If you do want to influence the decision making a neighbourhood organization carries more sway than just one residence.

COMMENT 378179P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:03 PM

If it comes to a petition, I want you to know that you need to get a lot of signatures -----a lot-----before City Council or any related entity will give it any credence.

I once stopped something bad from happening in my neighborhood (many years ago, though). It took me days to gather the signatures. I went door to door. Later, I heard from neighbors who said they wished they'd had the opportunity to sign my petition . . .

The City Council stopped the "bad thing" (I don't want to say here what it was). Without over 100 signatures, I don't think my efforts would have done a bit of good.

NIMBY can be a very good thing, if you know you're doing the right thing and helping to protect not only yourself/your family but also others.

COMMENT 378186 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:13 PM

It could be anything from a new business, new housing, new stop signs, speed bumps or the horrible roundabouts or bulb outs.

Contact John Roussou (sp) at the city Trans Dept. He will know.

COMMENT 378191 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:19 PM

Just because there is a counter doesn't necessarily mean a stop sign will be placed, or a change is imminent.

Most of the time it's the public works checking traffic flow on streets to help determine if any changes might be needed elsewhere. There's a counter on cabrillo near the warf, don't think they will change anything there other than light timing.

COMMENT 378198 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:42 PM

I'm in the county, but I don'think I'd object with a sloe down of some sort to protect the kids who live in our area.

COMMENT 378200 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:52 PM

Sounds like a case of Ready! Fire! Aim! Relax, you'll live longer. Traffic surveys happen all the time.

Hey, you're not that guy running for President of the Gadfly Society are you? Anyway, why reinvent the wheel? Let the traffic engineers do what they do, and you are free to do what you do after your job as busybody is over. We pay the guys, remember? A lot it seems. To us not to them.

At least hear their plan first. Geez! If there is one and this is not just a drama.

COMMENT 378203 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:53 PM

I hate 4-way stop signs. They waste fuel and increase emissions. Personally, I like the roundabouts. I lived on Alta Vista and found them reasonably functional, although they are generally better in more open areas where they can be larger.

COMMENT 378244 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 07:29 PM

There are counters all over Foothill (SR192) between SR144 and Mission. I talked to the guy who put one of them in and he said it is just a regular "monitoring" of traffic flow they do every ten years or so.

Worst case scenario they may add a stop sign (like they did at SR192 & Cold Springs), but there will be a public comment period, so no one should get stressed out over this.

COMMENT 378252 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 07:47 PM

simple traffic study. It happens everywhere and only helps traffic flow.

JEDHAT agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-25 07:24 AM

To the OP: In my opinion, you asked a logical, well thought out questions about where to look for answers, thinking EdHat might be a good network to do some preliminary research. You got a few helpful suggestions, but You got a few snarky ones. I would be curious where to start looking for answers about something like that, and Edhat seems like a good place to start. Good luck!

COMMENT 378371 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-25 08:54 AM

They are guaging traffic flow on your road.

COMMENT 378439 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-25 10:57 AM

I don't agree with anyone who says not to worry about it. The one on Modoc, cross street from my home, recorded the average speed of vehicles. As a result, the speed limit was raised 5 miles per hour and since, then, there has been two pedestrians hit by speeding cars and 4 accidents within the new speed limit because most vehicles travel at a faster speed. The County says they had to raise the speed limit to avoid "speed traps", etc., etc., etc.,. I wrote letters and had personal meetings with the "right" people, but, all they would tell me is, it is within reason of a State Law, etc., etc,.

COMMENT 378489 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-25 12:00 PM

It is way better to provide your feedback early in the process before the County Bureaucratic mechanism starts rolling. If they know there will be potential opposition and scrutiny that might involve the politicos, they will be much more careful about what they propose.

Anyway, they work for us, or are supposed to. I contact them all the time. They tell me nonsense information, like when they told me that cross walks are dangerous because they give people a false sense of security. My response was that if that was true, why aren't they taking out the cross walks that they currently have designated throughout the City?

COMMENT 378498 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-25 12:32 PM

I live downtown and see them all the time. They usually mean there will be a cop on a motorcycle with a radar gun in your future.

COMMENT 378659P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-25 07:07 PM

A big development is going in near my house. They recorded the traffic ... a few days after the schools just a couple of blocks away were closed for the summer. They used this data to "prove" the development will not impact traffic.

COMMENT 378791 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 09:09 AM

I'm guessing you are talking about Shoreline Drive, I noticed the line there also last week. Interestingly, it was there before the two accidents (Friday and Saturday). You are correct that the intersection of Shoreline and San Rafael would be the better spot for a stop sign. We see so many near misses of pedestrians there.

COMMENT 378899 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-26 01:46 PM

That raising the speed limit thing is because if the majority of the traffic is going faster than the posted speed limit, they assume that means that it is safe to do so. That is one reason that you can get out of a speeding ticket if they have not done a speed survey recently because you can argue that they don't really know what the average speed on the road is. Of course it only works if you are just few miles over the limit.

20% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.