Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 52.3°F | Humidity: 100% | Pressure: 29.95in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15818 Subscribers
      686 Paid (4.3%)
     4 Commenters
     22726 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Boxtales 20 Year Anniversary Festival
Boxtales 20 Year Anniversary Festival

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Aggressive Seal
updated: Feb 24, 2013, 1:40 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

An aggressive seal bumped ocean swimmers today between 9:00 and 10:00 this morning at Butterfly Beach! Followed one of the swimmers when he got out of the water, by popping his head up watching him walk to get back in the water. Bumped him again when he got back in. 10 to 12 people where "bumped" some got out of the water all together.

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 378148 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 01:46 PM

OMG... he should be arrested for playful behaviour! Actually it he popped its head out it was a harbor seal, not a sea lion.

COMMENT 378149 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 01:52 PM

Maybe he was trying to warn everyone of a shark in the area.

COMMENT 378151 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 01:56 PM

Headline should read: "Seal shows annoyance when humans invade his natural environment".

COMMENT 378153 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 02:04 PM

Who said it was a sea lion? All I read said seal.

COMMENT 378155 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 02:12 PM

Surfing I often see these little guys (harbor seals) playing in the surf. One time I had one follow my every move, at one point I got a bit worried, but then I realized he only wanted to play. If they don't like you they could easily just bite, but that's rear. No need to panic,they're just letting you know you are in their territory and just want to play. I hope this report won't antagonize these creatures. The media tends to exaggerate just to get a few more readers or viewers.

- Longtime Mesa resident.

COMMENT 378170 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 03:26 PM

8153... the headliner claimed it was an "aggressive sea lion", though it's since been changed.

COMMENT 378172 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 03:37 PM

There have been playful Harbor Seals around for years! This isn't news. It's what you get for swimming in their habitat. Seriously hope this doesn't become a big panic story.

COMMENT 378182P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:09 PM

Long Time Mesa Resident: I got a kick out of "they could easily bite, but that's rear." A little Freudian slip, there?

I also "hope this report won't antagonize these creatures." Do you think the seals are reading local news reports now, too?

The animal was likely a bit annoyed at people interfering with its hunting. Close to shore there are rocks and food items seals hunt. If a seal gives you a bump, stay out of his territory. Nice of him/her to warn you and not bite.

COMMENT 378192 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:20 PM

I was on my windsurfer one day at Ledbetter, when a seal zipped by me underwater.

I was startled, by then thought, I'm glad it wasn't a shark.

COMMENT 378193 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:22 PM

Which animal behaviorist decided it was being aggressive? Unusual behavior certainly but aggression? Dogs approach people all the time sometimes making contact/bumping and it's usually curiosity and greeting.

COMMENT 378195 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:23 PM

Seals are the tricksters of the surf, my brother used to tell me stories of them biting his fins when he was diving for lobster at the islands. They are very curious and fast. Just smile and realize we aren't the only creature that enjoys the surv

COMMENT 378196 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:31 PM

Locals only, brah!

(And I completely misread the summary the first time. One letter makes all the difference.)

COMMENT 378201 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 04:52 PM

I agree with that seals are the tricksters of the serf. I have been swimming off Butterfly and been surprised by a seal.

COMMENT 378212P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 05:07 PM

They are not pets. They are wild animals and do bite...hard. It's a bad idea to get near their hunting grounds.

COMMENT 378216P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 05:17 PM

Thanks for the laugh, 182P!
I didn't know how to address that typo. :-)
Yes, of course they can be territorial. and a bite would be really bad for the bitee. Yep, it's their territory.

COMMENT 378217 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 05:21 PM

Oh great now they are going to start closing beaches because the seals are playing too rough. Whats next, "hey that seagull looked at me wrong"?

COMMENT 378222P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 05:42 PM

lookin' for love - and letting you know who is boss.

COMMENT 378224P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 05:50 PM

217, speaking of gulls, they sometimes do look demented, but the ones to watch out for, at least on Stearns Wharf, are pelicans: they can bite very hard. I've watched parents push their small children near them to take a picture, child with "wild"life, and wonder.

COMMENT 378253 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 07:50 PM

Seal or sea lion bites are no fun! Remember that anything that eats fish has teeth capable or gripping slimy, slippery, wiggling creatures. That means sharp and powerful! If the animal intended to bite, it would have, but be careful around marine mammals, including dolphins. These bites can be tough healing, often taking months. Never let them suture bites - that'll make the recovery a real nightmare....

COMMENT 378338 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-25 08:02 AM

Seal acts like seal and is suspected for being sealish.

COMMENT 378350 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-25 08:20 AM

Bravo 151 ! We are the grossly entitled human invaders tragically reducing animal life to a mere shadow of itself.

COMMENT 378383 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-25 09:10 AM

The other day animal rescue zipped away its baby into a white pickup after it was on a rock there. The mother was frantic that day looking for its baby. Why didn't they help her too or just put baby seal back in water with the mother who is still looking????

COMMENT 378389 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-25 09:21 AM

They are like playful dogs. I'm always glad to see one when I paddle because the sharks will get him before me. At least I hope!

CORKY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-25 02:44 PM

Rear/rare/Whatever. I totally read it for rear.

COMMENT 379853 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-28 12:50 PM

I have one bite my fin while skin diving. I was diving down to see what creature was below me, and apparently it was its pup. The mother and I both surfaced at the same time, faced each other in a stand-off, until I splashed water at the mother. No harm, no foul. End of story.

24% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.