Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 53.2°F | Humidity: 69% | Pressure: 30.10in (Steady) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise

15931 Subscribers
      652 Paid (4.1%)
     1 Commenters
     1496 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Tell them you found them on Edhat!
www.edhat.com/referrals

Chicken and Waffles
updated: Feb 22, 2013, 3:51 PM

Is there anyplace locally that offers chicken and waffles (even half as good as Roscoe's)?

Places People Are Talking About:

Domingo'sJulienne'sTupelo Junction

What People Are Saying:

COMMENT 377621 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 03:58 PM

Nope.

COMMENT 377622P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 04:07 PM

I wish. Let me know if you find one.

COMMENT 377624 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 04:13 PM

Tupelo Junction? Not sure but it sounds like the kind of the thing they would do, with a gourmet twist of course.

COMMENT 377626 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 04:16 PM

Nope. Closest (and best bet) is Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles in LA. Amazing stuff.

COMMENT 377629 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 04:19 PM

My House

COMMENT 377632 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 04:23 PM

They have a chicken and waffle type thingy at the Sidecar Cafe in Ventura

COMMENT 377634 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 04:35 PM

My Mom used to make the greatest chicken and waffles! Thanks for the memories! How about trying Farmer Boy in San Roque?

COMMENT 377637 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 04:44 PM

Maybe ihop

COMMENT 377638P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 04:46 PM

After a Google search for Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles I tried one link that Norton blocked as a malicious web site. Their waffles may be good but their links aren't :)

COMMENT 377640 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 04:54 PM

Blush has good Chicken and Waffles.

COMMENT 377643P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 04:57 PM

Roscoe's!!!! I like the one in Hollywood the best.

COMMENT 377647 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 05:11 PM

What - don't yo Momma live round here?

Momma's house has always been the only place to get goodies like this.

COMMENT 377648 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 05:12 PM

No, they mean fried chicken and iron-fried waffles made with batter and typically served with syrup.

Seriously.

I think it's one of those things that makes sense if you were raised up on it, but otherwise, you try it once, and think "huh" and go on to the next thing.

At least that was my reaction.

CAPTAIN HALEY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 05:16 PM

Blush has 'em, but only on the brunch menu...

COMMENT 377652P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 05:38 PM

For years I've wanted a copy of the 1970's a capella radio commercial of Roscoe's. Anyone know where it could be found. As for combining chicken and waffles, I will probably die before tasting that combination at one meal. Isn't it too heavy and greasy?

COMMENT 377653 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 05:38 PM

Roscoe's Chicken 'n Waffles is heavenly and I wasn't raised on it.

The Hollywood Roscoe's often has a stretch limo in front and with it's '70s unfinished wood paneling, mirror, and spider plant decor and incredible food, it's like the home cooking of people who would have been much too hip to have ever lived in Santa Barbara.

SB isn't worthy of having a Roscoe's. SB gets a new fast food chain and appears to be thrilled about it. We'll never have a Roscoe's.

COMMENT 377654 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 05:40 PM

I've seen it one the menu at ihop or Denny's.. can't remember which one.

D8VANILLA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 05:58 PM

I did a blind taste-test today with potato chips. I thought the potato chips were very good and not too salty.

Turned out to be the new Lay's Chicken & Waffles potato chips!!

I don't eat potato chips very often, but these were good.

COMMENT 377665 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 05:59 PM

If Dog had not wanted us to eat chickens, He would not have made them so darn tasty! *Orders more hot wings.*

COMMENT 377674 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 06:13 PM

I didn't grow up on it either, but I think Roscoe's is the bomb! Gonna have to try Blush's version...

COMMENT 377677P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 06:24 PM

Think the traditional Pennsylvania Dutch version sounds better. That consists of a plain waffle with pulled, stewed chicken on top, covered in gravy.

YIN YANG agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 06:25 PM

652, start by going to YouTube and search for "roscoe's chicken and waffles song"
Or just "roscoe's chicken and waffles"
Lots of stuff online. I think you'll find it, but I don't know it, so can't look for it.

I haven't been there, but of course I'd eat Roscoe's! (LA- and driving-phobic; way too far to go.) I'll stick to bacon or sausage with pancakes or french toast on the side and REAL maple syrup. Love salty + sweet, my poor person version is potato chips + PB&J or popcorn + chocolate chips.

I prefer mashed potatoes with my chicken, and hash browns, not biscuits, with my breakfasts, with white sausage gravy on the potatoes. Sorry, got carried away -- Dang I'm hungry!!

COMMENT 377693P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 07:31 PM

Domingo's in Goleta has them sometimes..

COMMENT 377696 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 07:33 PM

I'm too stuck on Chia Seed Waffles to miss them.

COMMENT 377698 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 07:39 PM

Ihop has the dish. was just there a week ago and saw it on the menu...now as far as how good it would be, that i do not know.

COMMENT 377705 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 07:57 PM

I was thinking Tupelo Junction too, but I don't see it on their menu..... hmmm maybe they would do it on special request.

COMMENT 377706 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 07:57 PM

Domingos cafe in Goleta sometimes has chicken & waffles as a special.

COMMENT 377707P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 07:58 PM

Ihop hash browns are pure chemicals, with no resemblance whatsoever to real potatoes. No thanks.

COMMENT 377709 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 08:02 PM

Can verify the comment 707 made about Domingo's..I've had it. Even not as a special they have excellent fried chicken!!

COMMENT 377714 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 08:07 PM

659P - Wow - sorry to hear about those caged hens.

That settles it - NO chicken for me.

I'll enjoy some milk-fed baby veal instead. Mmmmm!!

PETA, schmeta. Eat what you like, when you like.

COMMENT 377722 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 08:34 PM

Julienne's had a gourmet version for lunch last time I went.

COMMENT 377738 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 10:42 PM

IHOP serves fried chicken & waffles. They're just not listed together on the menu.

COMMENT 377758P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-23 06:25 AM

707, It's very important to order your hash browns "well done" especially at a place like IHOP, but even at Cajun Kitchen.

COMMENT 377770P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-23 07:35 AM

758 - why is it imp't to order hash browns "well done?"
Am curious. (Though it is the way I like them - extra well done.) And 707 how does one know IHOP's hash browns are full of chemicals and any different than other
restaurants' hash browns?

ANDY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-23 08:21 AM

I first tried Roscoe's about 25 years ago. They are wonderful. They only had one location then. Crisp non greasy chicken and tasty waffles. Yummmmmm.

COMMENT 377798 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-23 08:47 AM

The cafe inside Chumash Casino has them. Not as good as Roscoe's but still pretty good and less than $10.

COMMENT 377811P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-23 09:42 AM

ihop is very inconsistent in their quality of food.

COMMENT 377825P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-23 10:37 AM

A named local chain restaurant in this thread needs to stop the practice of keeping the bills with the survey request. It's not okay to just give the customer the receipt for the paid bill. I'm talking specifically about the bill you get at the table before you take it to the cashier. That often contains a web address or number where you're asked to take a short survey about your restaurant experience. If your bill is taken and speared on that metal thing to the left of the register instead of given back to you, ask for it.

The other part of this story is how skewed surveys taken by the manager rather than the actual customers translates into larger, unearned bonuses for the managers and regional managers. Don't fault the employee doing it because he/she is just following instructions. It isn't entirely the manager, either.

When you take the survey yourself, please be honest about it. Rate your dining experience accurately. This is one way that customers can make a difference in the way a restaurant treats its guests.

One more thing, if your experience was bad enough that you requested to speak to the manager and that didn't fix it, then you state you're going to contact the corporate office, usually a manager will hurriedly give you the name and number of his/her boss which is the regional manager. That may work to resolve your problem to your satisfaction but may not fix it for everyone else that comes along. The regional manager has an interest in keeping things on the down low and out of earshot of his/her own supervisors. This is really at any national chain.

Wait, not done. I wanted to address 'mystery shoppers'. They are real and I'm aware of one way they are recruited. That would be professional survey companies like Pinecone, Ipsos, SurveySavvy, etc. Those places use registered particpants only after they've been doing other surveys for a while. I don't think there is any money to be made. You actually pay for the meal with your money/credit card then you are reimbursed as late as eight weeks later. Stay clear of junk mail and CL. In many instances, regional managers are advised beforehand when mystery shoppers are going to start appearing again and in what areas. It's supposed to be a secret to everyone but it's oftentimes just not. It again skews things. Just hoping to provide a little insight.

I've never tried chicken and waffles in the same... [ more ]

UPONTHEHILL agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-23 11:55 AM

I have not had them, but have heard that the little Greek restaurant on W. Haley near state has a different menu at night, and that they have mac and cheese and sometimes waffles and fried chicken. You might call and see if that is the case.

Comments on this thread are only open to Community Members.

# # # #