Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 58.5°F | Humidity: 96% | Pressure: 30.00in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15825 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Do You Doggie Daycare?
updated: Feb 21, 2013, 8:53 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

Does anyone have any feedback on how their dog was treated at any of the doggie daycare facilities here in town? I like the idea of monitored play time for my rescue dog and was thinking of trying one.

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 377309 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 09:23 PM

Camp Canine is the best doggie day care I've ever encountered. Yeah, it's a tad pricey, but it's worth every nickel. My Huskies love Camp Canine and the great staff there. Dogs are segregated by size and temperament, so doggie confrontations are kept to an absolute minimum. With its log structures and hidey-holes, it's like Frontierland for dogs. Absolutely five stars.

LIZBETH agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 09:24 PM

I put my dog at Camp Canine when I had to go out of town for 5 days, it was a great experience she came back more confident and mature somehow ... It wasn't daycare exactly but I have been very happy with my experiences with them.

COMMENT 377312P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 09:46 PM

We have used both Dioji and Camp Canine over the past eight years, and Dioji is by far the superior place to leave your dog. Both the downtown and Goleta branches of Dioji have room to run, bone shaped swimming pools and much more attentive staff. If you are planning to board your dog, Camp Canine will crate them overnight whether they are used to being caged or not. Dioji has an airconditioned sleeping area with a bed and human who spends the night with the dogs. They can snuggle in the bed or on one of the several futons surrounding it. There's really no comparison.

COMMENT 377317 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 10:18 PM

Camp Canine Hands Down ! I had my dog at Diogi for 6 months and then had 2 negative experiences there and tried Camp Canine. I and my dog are so much happier there. Diogi is not a bad place and frankly the hours there are a bit better but the employees and owners for sure at Camp Canine are experts in dog Care, training and advice. Camp Canine has been so accommodating and flexible with me. I cannot say enough good things about them. Dont hesitate trusting your dog to Camp Canine !

COMMENT 377319P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 10:25 PM

Be advised it is really important that you choose a place that assigns your dog to a group with dogs with similar play style, temperament and energy level. The ones suggested so far are pretty reputable and careful with this, but it can't be overstated how damaging it is for a dog to be confined with dogs with whom they are incompatible. Stress, aggression, and changes in personality can result. Good luck, sounds like you are a very thoughtful and conscientious guardian!

COMMENT 377320P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 10:39 PM

It has been several years, but I used to board my dog with Camp Canine when I would go out of town. She always seemed happy to walk up the steps and go inside the door when we arrived, and I liked that they separated the dogs based on personality. My girl was with the "gentle play group". She was sensitive being who tended to get sick whenever I would be away until I started taking her to Camp Canine. I have no idea what they are like now, but I hope they are still as good.

COMMENT 377328P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 12:34 AM

I haven't used Dioji, I've heard some good feedback.

I have used Camp Canine once for boarding and I adore the owners, the Soroskys. Mary is great and John is an extraordinary dog trainer. The Camp itself is delightful. I've had other business with them; Mary is as responsible and caring a breeder (of R. Ridgebacks) as there can be. (Don't know if she's still breeding dogs.) She has taken her own "canine offspring" back under her wing if necessary; she would never do otherwise if she were aware of a problem.

Under "Services," their website says:
"If your dog prefers sleeping with a friend after a long day of play, friends are tucked away together to make Camping even more fun. Camp Canine staff or owners are on site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week."

Many referrals for John on an Edhat dog training thread:

A Noozhawk article by him:

No, I don't work for them!

This thread will grow, but I think you have your two answers! Start with a phone interview and chat to get info and then choose which or both to visit. Kudos to you, OP, you're a good dog parent/owner/guardian/whatever.

COMMENT 377331 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 06:46 AM

Dioji all the way! I actually had my dog there today and when I picked him up I thought to myself how grateful I am for such a wonderful place for my dog to play. The staff always addresses each dog by name the moment they arrive and there is constant supervision while they play. It's a great price for single day daycare and a little pricey for overnight boarding but having the peace of mind that your dog is in excellent care is completely worth every penny. I've referred several friends there who have also taken their dogs to Camp Canine and they have preferred Dioji.

COMMENT 377337 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 07:16 AM

377319P - you are so right. Just a funny little antidote. I took my 5 year old pit pull to Dioji. He was a bit shy and could be a tad neurotic. I thought it hilarious to find when I picked him up he was in the puppy pen hanging out with the little ones.

I felt comfortable with that experiences and took him back for a weekend. By the time I picked him up the second time, he was playing with the big kids and completely tuckered out.

I would highly recommend Dioji!

COMMENT 377343 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 07:36 AM

Camp Canine is amazing! I've taken my rescue pup there, he's shy and skiddish BUT loves when I say "wanna go to camp Run Amok?" (that's the camp for small dogs, as they seperate from big dogs)

He goes crazy running around the house, so excited to go. That, to me, says it all.

COMMENT 377352 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 07:54 AM

We've used both Dioji and Camp Canine for the occasional short (afternoons) and long-term (2+ week) stays. I have nothing bad to say about either, but I think that the layout is better at Camp Canine. They really go the extra mile, and I have to say that I believe they upped their game when Dioji came on the scene. Both are great places for dogs, but for our dog (large and active), the roaming area and pools at Camp Canine are a better fit. Staff at both places are wonderful though, they are both great options for dog owners. SB is lucky to have them both.

COMMENT 377357 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 07:58 AM

Hands down Dioji is the best place, they know dogs. My dog always comes home happy and worn out.

COMMENT 377382P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 08:38 AM

We boarded our dog at Camp Canine for seven years, and would put him into a play group for half a day sometimes just for his fun. The last 3 years he was blind and they put him on a schedule and made sure he didn't have any accidents. He had a complicated schedule of 3 eye meds, 2 shots and 2 pills a day: No problem for Camp Canine! They made out a special sheet and everybody involved initialed everything after each shot or pill or set of meds. After he became blind, he always had his own place at night with all his familiar surroundings and bed area that he knew. When I would take him to Camp Canine, he would never even look around! -- he would just eagerly go with one of the helpers -- everybody knew him. He had two special friends in "the yard" he loved, who worked with the animals, and he would follow them everywhere, and I think Camp Canine tried to have them on when my dog was going to be coming in. The person at the front desk always knew just how he had been getting along on the visit. I really can't recommend Camp Canine enough.

COMMENT 377388 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 08:50 AM

Well we love LOOSE POOCH at State and Mission for day care. We have a little dog with "separation" issues and she always loves to go there. Never a problem dropping her off she is ready to play. They have good prices, great staff and do 1/2 day deals if you need them.

COMMENT 377398 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 09:10 AM

Dioji is good if you can afford it. I have never been to Camp Canine.

COMMENT 377423 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 09:40 AM

I use Dioji now for my 4 month old puppy and am quite happy. I live a few blocks from their Goleta location so I've never tried anything downtown. Recently I became aware of SAM'S Doggie Dude Ranch just north of Goleta near El Capitan. It appears to be a different kind of dog care experience and prices are lower. I called to get more info but they are closed until March 1st.

COMMENT 377455 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 10:24 AM

Loose Pooch is the best I have used. Nothing against the others, I know Camp Canine is reputable and have personally had good experiences (my dogs have always done well, my parents dog always seemed to catch something).

But Loose Pooch for daycare is the best, you and your dog will be happy with it.

COMMENT 377474 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 10:50 AM

For a daily stay - Dioji Over night at Dioji is tolerable I guess. Last time our dog slept there they didn't opened late and there was one kid "supervising" no less than 40 over night dogs. Let's just say everyone was tired and NOT because they were exercised but Because they nobody slept!

Loose Pooch has the indoor cement not conducive for standing doggies. Also, you cannot see your dog when you walk in. There is a video camera and a small window but our dog isn't a poser for the camera so we cannot see what he's doing. Hiding something? Bad design and bad footing.

COMMENT 377505 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 11:51 AM

I live in Goleta, so take my dog to Dioji - very convenient. She goes there once a week for the day. This keeps her socialized. The set up is good, with separate areas depending on your dog's disposition and size. The employees are competent and always let me know how my dog behaved that day. I have also kept her there for a few days when traveling. She appeared to be just fine when I picked her up.

I have also used Camp Canine. John is a good trainer, and has helped me and my dog tremendously. I have also kept my dog there for a week. John used that time to further her training.

The only downside to both places is that they are expensive, but that does not stop me from taking her there.

I would recommend both places for day care and overnight stays.

COMMENT 377570 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 02:28 PM

Dioji is the best place. Camp Canine (at least in my opinion and I've tried both) can't compare. I feel much better taking my brood to Dioji.

I feel like Dioji has more modern ideas about dog care where Camp Canine is a bit stuck in the whole Alpha thing and can be too much for some dogs.

IRISROSE agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 02:40 PM

Owners at Diogi have an edge and can be off putting. Their trainer person prefers the strict alpha style with dogs which I don't really like. Camp Canine is time tested and friendly as well as knowledgeable.

COMMENT 377976 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-23 06:46 PM

We had a bad experience with Dioji. Left our dog there but stayed in the parking lot to watch him, as it was his first time. The "supervisor" at one point began yelling commands and "no" at at young visla very loudly and harshly, which caused the dog to cringe against the fence. We didn't witness any bad behavior on the dog's part, in fact it was a very submissive dog. He later slapped the same dog. The other dogs gave the man a wide berth, as you'd expect, while he was disciplining the dog. After were saw this, we decided not to leave our dog. The counter attendant asked no questions as to why we were removing our dog after only 20 minutes. I asked to see the supervisor and explained what we saw. She made no apologies or excuses. In fact she said nothing at all. She simply went back in the back room and left us staring at the counter person, who just looked down and fumbled with some papers.

COMMENT 377984 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-23 06:52 PM

@976, I hope you told the owners at Dioji about this. I have seen my own (super rowdy) dogs touched on flank with a finger and a command. But that's TOUCHED not hit. What you describe is absolutely untenable and it makes me not want to take my dogs back to Dioji. Did you get an actual answer about what happened?

The only thing I can think of in their defense is that often a lot of the dogs there belong to employees. But I don't want to think an employee there would think hitting is okay.

COMMENT 377988 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-23 07:00 PM

IRISROSE - Actually, they don't have a trainer at DIOJI, so maybe you're mistaken. The owners certainly don't have an edge, they're super friendly! Unless you call smiling, joking, laughing and greeting you like an old friend despite being a new client an edge.

I'm sure there's a lot of great places to take your dog in SB, but this is an example of how subjective some comments online can be. I can see how some people would find fault with Dioji or that it might not be the right place for every person to take their dog, but claiming they have a trainer with has alpha dog issues (they don't even HAVE a trainer at Dioji!) or that the owners are somehow unfriendly is just wrong.

COMMENT 378014 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-23 08:35 PM

At that time, they did have a trainer at Dioji. They held classes there, too. It was my impression that the woman who came out was the owner, but I don't know for sure.

COMMENT 378131 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 12:58 PM

014, are you IrisRose? I'm confused. If so, you're saying that the person you accused of having an unpleasant edge may or may not have been the owner?

I'm really disappointed with the opinion over fact thing that's happening here. I get that we're all talking about personal experiences, which are all valid so long as they are accurate - bad AND good. But this seems unfair to me if you're not sure that the person was an owner or not.

COMMENT 378246 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-24 07:38 PM

COMMENT 379148 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-27 08:07 AM

No, I'm not IRISROSE, 014 is also 976. Sorry I posted the same comment twice. My description of my experience is just as it happened. I would have really welcomed a show of interest or concern and *may* have given Dioji a second chance (if the same "yard supervisor" was not present), as it *looks* like it would be fun for the dogs.

25% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.