Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 76.5°F | Humidity: 57% | Pressure: 29.99in (Steady) | Conditions: Mostly Cloudy | Wind Direction: SSW | Wind Speed: 2.1mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15833 Subscribers
      677 Paid (4.3%)
     70 Commenters
     51327 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Boxtales 20 Year Anniversary Festival
Boxtales 20 Year Anniversary Festival

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Montecito Reality Show
updated: Feb 20, 2013, 11:46 AM

By Richard Mineards

Ubiquitous TV host, Ryan Seacrest, has landed a six episode series order from the cable network A&E for his new reality show "Montecito." Among those involved in the show,according to Montecito Journal columnist Richard Mineards, are tennis ace Jimmy Connors' wife, Patti, Arlene Montesano, realtor Andria Kahmann and events organizer MaryAnne Contreras.

The docuseries will concentrate on the men who fulfill their dreams. In this case, it's not their husbands, but their ballroom dance instructors

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 376622 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 11:49 AM

i feel dumber just reading the premise.

COMMENT 376624P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 11:52 AM

I don't understand why anyone would spend the money producing something so completley boring, unimportant, ridiculous, moronic, insignificant, trashy and a few hundred other adjectives......

COMMENT 376626 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 11:55 AM

If you 'wasted' the time to read the release, I'm sure you'll waste the time to watch your neighbors...

That's why they made the show. And there is plenty of the country that will love watching the wealthy and dream.

COMMENT 376628 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 11:58 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Why do we need to know about these people???

COMMENT 376629 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 11:58 AM

Oh my... I think I'd rather watch "Mr Ed" episodes on Netflix.

COMMENT 376631 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 12:01 PM

Hopefully the Cops on tricycles ride by and make an appearance. I really wish most reality shows would dry up and blow away.

COMMENT 376666 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 12:35 PM

As a "normal" Montecitan, I can tell you these people have nothing to do with my daily life.

I'm always horrified that people want to expose everything about their lives like this, but also what an embarrassment for real people who actually live here and don't want the focus to be on this kind of attention seeking behavior.

YIN YANG agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 12:45 PM

Why?! MONEY of course
Google "how much is ryan seacrest worth"
This is housewives plus dance, a sure win

COMMENT 376671 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 12:48 PM

Palm, meet face. Face, this is palm.

COMMENT 376676P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 12:59 PM

Cable TV has become the modern version of the carnival side show.

COMMENT 376678 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 01:05 PM

I don't hate on reality shows - they are out there and someone watches them - a lot of someones from the ratings some of them post. We all have guilty pleasures...people like to say they watch Homeland but they're really watching Real Housewives. Just enjoy what you enjoy - it's your life and your life is as private as you make it. And 'cito isn't gonna suffer from this at all.

COMMENT 376680P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 01:05 PM

Gross, sad, pathetic...

COMMENT 376682 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 01:09 PM

For those of you just getting to the comment section, WELCOME TO THE NIMBY PARTY!!! BYOB and first-world problems

COMMENT 376683 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 01:09 PM

I was interested til "ballroom dancing" .... -____-

COMMENT 376686 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 01:18 PM

Damn, and I just canceled cable :( I love reality tv!!

COMMENT 376693 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 01:30 PM

You have GOT to be kidding - who watches this trash?? What a tip off to someones personality when they say they watch reality TV. What a joke, but I'm sure people will watch it.

COMMENT 376699 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 01:37 PM

Who even cares? Doesn't affect anyone's daily life except for people that maybe live on streets where this is filmed. Which is not anyone I know! But I'm sure this will be the top news story on KEYT. Sigh....

PATRICK agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 02:14 PM

One more reason to kill your TV...

COMMENT 376721 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 02:16 PM

678, it's different when it's on your street or in your neighborhood and causes people to come in droves to check things out. In that respect, not really that great.

COMMENT 376723 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 02:18 PM

If this is going to be filmed in Montecito, wasn't a permit required? If so, were residents consulted and who's responsible for issuing/approving the permit.

COMMENT 376725P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 02:46 PM

Maybe it is a hoax. He is dating Juliann Hough and she is a great ballroom dancer. If not, then wrangle appearances from Oprah who thinks she already owns Montecito and SB.

COMMENT 376736 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 03:03 PM

Perfect, I'll be watching. Love it.

COMMENT 376743P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 03:17 PM

How do i get a job as an assistant?? Sounds like fun times. And, yes i am hiding my handle!!!

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 03:33 PM

Next popular reality show "Squatters in Cito"

COMMENT 376767 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 04:24 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

COMMENT 376769 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 04:25 PM

If Honey Boo Boo can make it so can this.

I SO agree with 66, it makes us all look like showoffs, look what Housewives of Beverly Hills did for the normal people who live there, if you even mention you live in Beverly Hills everyone thinks you are one of "them".

COMMENT 376774 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 04:31 PM

So over SB I think 43 years I've been here the town and people have changed too much for me. The wealthiest people used to just drive trucks and such and you'd never know. I know I'm sounding too negative again

COMMENT 376777 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 04:43 PM

Maybe there will be at least one of the ballroom dancers bailing out of the State of no repair. I hope they win and won't have to leave. Money goes where money is welcome, and it isn't in Montecito. It isn't in this State. They should all move to Detroit. Now that would be a "reality show."

COMMENT 376782 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 04:56 PM

::face to palm::

COMMENT 376788 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 05:11 PM

@79....gossip hounds? I haven't really seen that on Edhat....people who seek information about what is going on in their city, yes.

I agree that a lot of us will be watching the show though, it's our neighbors and friends and they want us to watch :-)

COMMENT 376834 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 06:33 PM

Thank Goodness. I thought the world was forgotten here. Maybe Ryan will bring life to SB! Cheers for reality shows which are 10x better than sitcoms these days.

COMMENT 376858 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 07:01 PM

@ Roger - I'd like to see "squatters in 'Cito"... Maybe Randy Quaid can be the premier episode.

2nd episode could be "Kardashian Trashes Montecito"!

COMMENT 376926P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 09:00 PM

It will be like milk toast-as interesting and pedantic as most all reality shows in this age of mediocrity. Just my opinion and why my TV has gone with the wind!

COMMENT 376947P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 06:06 AM

As a Montecito resident, I find this embarrassing. I guess some people just crave attention... Part of me feels sorry for them.

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 07:28 AM

Maybe they should name the "Reality" shows something else; they are all just playing to the cameras, not real. I've never spent more than 2 or 3 min on any one of these shows, channel surfing during commericals on the program I'm watching. They seem popular, so someone believes them.

COMMENT 376981P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 07:40 AM

First of all, this is embarrassing. The aim of these shows is to highlight the worst in people and their situations so the viewers can feel morally superior. ("Look, they have money and prestige, but they are really all just skanks. Upon reflection we (the viewers) are really better and more moral people").

So, all of us in this area will, by extension, become caricatures, and so will our children. If you think that this will be good for you and your family, then you are in luck, I guess! Since a lot of people do crave attention at all costs and any costs (the named "society columnist" being one), I am sure that many will find this thrilling.

Regarding those "leading lady" media seekers who CRAVE attention, we can predict that they will eventually regret their decision to participate as they eventually see themselves and their families reduced to cartoon buffoons. As mothers, they should weigh the short-term thrill of their exhibitionism against the consequences this can have on their marriages and, most importantly, on their children. Anyone remember the Loud family and their wistful regrets?

COMMENT 377025P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 08:49 AM

How about adding expat Montecitan Evi Quaid to the cast list? Even I (confirmed non-TV watcher) would watch that!

COMMENT 377028 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 08:53 AM

A reality show set in Montecito seems fitting - just bringing the genera back to its place of origin. An American Family was filmed here in 1971 and was the beginning of 'reality TV'.

COMMENT 377226P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 03:39 PM

Oh god! Well I love that we already know which Montecito women are egotistical enough to eagerly participate in such nonsense! Never ceases to amaze me how desperate some people are to appear on television. Look at me! Look at me! I can't wait ...

COMMENT 408084P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-05-13 09:44 AM

Don't know about the rest of the women....... But I know for a fact one of them has been dancing for years.....maybe it's just a chance for her to pursue what she loves.....give her, at least, a break.

38% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 4 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.

Comments on this thread are only open to Community Members.

# # # #