npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 61.9°F | Humidity: 73% | Pressure: 30.04in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: NE | Wind Speed: 2.7mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
  login You create the news! Send items of interest to ed@edhat.com
    17875 Subscribers
      547 Paid (3.1%)
     22 Commenters
     94630 Page Views

Buy Edhat Shirts
Buy Edhat Shirts
Buy Edhat Bags
Buy Edhat Bags
Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat
Buy Edhat Hats
Buy Edhat Hats
News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Tell them you found them on Edhat!

Collection Attorney
updated: Feb 19, 2013, 5:54 PM

I am looking for referrals of a local attorney that can help me collect a judgment.

Places People Are Talking About:

Allen BifanoBruce HoganDennis Merenbach

What People Are Saying:

 COMMENT 376369 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 07:29 PM

Umm, probably would help knowing what kind of case your dealing with. Might get a few more answers


 COMMENT 376380 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 07:43 PM

Careful, you'll just rack up a pile of attorney's fees. Getting blood out of a turnip usually means no collection. I'm sitting on a $70,000 judgement that I'll never collect.


 COMMENT 376402 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 08:16 PM

You just need to get a good book from NoLo Press on collecting judgements and you should be able to do most of it yourself.

You might get a foresenic accountant to search for assets. Or a Private Investigator to find the person.

How much is this judgement?? It would help if you give us more info.

If they work, you can garnish their wages. If the judgement is against a business, then you have the Marshall sit there and collect the money as customers pay.

We need more info.


 COMMENT 376403P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 08:18 PM

380: A collection agency?


 COMMENT 376404 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 08:19 PM

@380 - Tell us a little more about your $70,000. judgement. Don't forget to renew it. You never know when their might be money coming in for you to take.


 COMMENT 376453 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 06:40 AM

Bruce Hogan


 COMMENT 376455 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 06:48 AM

I would call the Santa Barbara Bar association and ask who is good to talk to.


 COMMENT 376456 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 06:48 AM

Get a "fixed price contract" for lawyer services on this. Don't let them go retainer and hourly, they are not really honest. If the lawyer charges too much, don't pay them, 1/50 chance they'll sue you.


 COMMENT 376462P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 07:15 AM

Bruce Hogan


 COMMENT 376475 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 08:18 AM

Again, you might be able to do this yourself. Just get the book first. The Public Library probably has a copy. And, AGAIN, what is the nature of the judgement??? We really shouldn't be giving advice without all the facts.


 FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 08:25 AM

Joe Friday, on Dragnet, used to say, "Just the facts, Mam." I agree with others here, more info needed for better detailed answers.


 COMMENT 376493P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 08:52 AM

Bruce Hogan


 COMMENT 376496P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 08:57 AM

456--Who are you saying "are not really honest"? Lawyers or litigants? What a silly generalization.


 SACJON agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 09:11 AM

456 - great idea. Go hire a lawyer and then don't pay him if he/she charges too much. You do realize that lawyers work for a living, right? Oh and it's more like a 1/1 or 100% chance the attorney will "sue" to get the money you've refused to pay for their services.

OP - please ignore the suggestion to rip off a lawyer after you hire them to help you.


 COMMENT 376532 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 09:59 AM

Getting a judgment is easy - collecting it more difficult. If you have identified the judgment debtor's assets (job, bank, car) you can levy on the bank account or wages and force a sale of the car (certain exemptions apply). Or you can order the debtor to appear for an Examination of Assets. All of this takes time and advance fees - you're better off paying a contingency percentage to a reputable collection agency. They have the procedures in place to do all of this and, in fact, do it on a routine basis. Depending on the size of the judgment you can negotiate the contingency fee. Obviously, they will have to pay up front costs and other fees and they will be out those if they don't collect. Depending on the debtor, sometimes it's just the matter of making sure it's reported to a credit reporting agency and/or filing a lien on assets, especially if ready assets aren't available.


 COMMENT 376593 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 11:25 AM

Depends on the size of the judgement if it's worth spending money on attorneys or not. It's better to find out if the person has the assets or money to pay first. The judgement is good for ten years in California (statute of limitations).

If the person has assets, they have to be above and beyond what a person could keep in a bankruptcy. You can't just take their car for example unless it's worth more than 3000 bucks or something. You can't tap more than a certain percent of wages, after all the other payments like rent, child support, basic food and so forth are covered.

Often what the person has is zilch which is why they defaulted in the first place.


 COMMENT 376670 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 12:46 PM

I think Bruce Hogan (or possibly his significant other) needs to stop tooting his own horn and do his advertising in a different way.


 COMMENT 376701 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 01:39 PM

Hello, original poster here.

The judgment is from 2006. It was legal fees stipulated to me by x-spouse. He was in contempt of court, promised some documents which he never delivered to avoid more severe punishment, and wrote a bad check to my attorney for my fees ( unfortunately not to me- I had paid her bill earlier) The amount is just over 5k. I had another judgment which I successfully collected last year with the help of this same family law attorney. Got a writ and levied his bank account. It is very upsetting how easy it is for someone to do the wrong thing and not pay what they owe.


 COMMENT 376708P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 01:48 PM

If he wrote a "bad check" to your attorney, surely he/she would have recourse to collect, press charges etc. I'm always a bit leery regarding these spousal disputes (having been involved in one myself). The facts often get more than a little murky in the telling.


 COMMENT 377124 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 12:35 PM

The Bull Dog Allen Bifano


 COMMENT 377293P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-21 08:32 PM

Dennis Merenbach might be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.



Add Your Comments

Edhat Username



Don't have an Account?

Don't know if you have an account?

Don't remember your account info?


ENJOY HAPPY HOUR! ... Between 4:00pm & 5:00pm only happy comment are allowed on the Edhat Comments Board.

If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

Hide Your Handle, but show paid status (paid subscribers only)
NEW - use verified name and picture (contact ed@edhat.com to be verified)
Find out About Becoming A Paid Subscriber
NOTE: We are testing a new Comment Preview Page. You must hit OK on the next page to have your comment go live. Send Feedback to ed@edhat.com.

get a handle   |  lost handle




  See more articles like this

# # # #


Send To a Friend
Your Email
Friend's Email

Top of Page | Old News Archives | Printer-Friendly Page

  Home Subscribe FAQ Jobs Contact copyright © 2003-2015  
Edhat, Inc.