Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 64.8°F | Humidity: 95% | Pressure: 29.81in (Steady) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: East | Wind Speed: 3.1mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15583 Subscribers
      697 Paid (4.5%)
     0 Commenters
     997 Page Views

Bike MS
Bike MS

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Unmarked Police Car
updated: Feb 19, 2013, 3:50 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

Had just parked on Canon Perdido when two cars passed me and the second one hit his siren, lights inside the car flashed and the driver in front immediately pulled over. Expected to see normal black and white cop car but turns out it was a silver Ford Taurus with normal license plates and no external lights, markings or antenna.

Two uniformed cops got out so guess it wasn't undercover. They questioned the female driver and searched her purse before sending her on her way.

I've seen those black or white unmarked Ford cruisers before but you could tell they were cop cars with the spotlights, etc. First time I've seen one of these, especially in what appeared at first to be a traffic stop. So watch out you scofflaws.

Not making a criticism here, just an observation. BTW, I did darken the face of the driver to protect her identity.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 376273 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 03:52 PM

I think that is what the detectives drive. I have been stopped and questioned by one, that is the only reason I know.

COMMENT 376274 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 03:57 PM

I wouldn't stop for that...anyone can buy lights off the internet. If they persisted, I would drive to the nearest police station, and after they let me go, I would walk right in and complain.

COMMENT 376275 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 04:00 PM

I saw a Black one just like this today on upper SB St. 2 guys in black & Flak jackets - just say'n

COMMENT 376279 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 04:12 PM

They're unmarked cars, not undercover. The difference is these units are for detective or supervisory work and are thus able to move all over town with fewer interruptions. Undercover cars look completely ordinary and a lot of times come from impounds.

COMMENT 376284 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 04:16 PM

I remember the gang task force used to drive around in a old station wagon packed with officers back in the 90's.

COMMENT 376297 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 04:37 PM

Now they have a tank. And folks wonder why our budgets are busted.

COMMENT 376303P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 04:50 PM

Oh, 300 lighten up. I, for one appreciate the heads up on this. Not that I 'm a criminal, or have designs on becoming one. OP please don't stop contributing.

COMMENT 376306 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 04:51 PM

@6300 why is half the stuff posted on here featured??

I got caught behind one driving well under the speed limit, so I kinda road raged on him untill he flipped his rear lights on to scare me.. Ill never tail gate a ford taures driving under the speed limit again...

COMMENT 376310 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 05:00 PM

From the uniforms my guess is that this is a gang unit. It's certainly not being used for routine traffic enforcement.

-274, I would not refuse to stop for this vehicle if I were you...

COMMENT 376317 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 05:20 PM

274/310: It's actually a safety issue to stop for any officer (unmarked or not) in unsafe areas, but I'm not sure in town counts. Plus, you can not stop if you think the person pulling you over might be a fake officer, but you have to call 911 & ask the operator if any PO's are in the area & have them contact them to see if it's them. If you just don't stop, you can get in some pretty big trouble. Which I would LOVE to watch go down.

COMMENT 376324P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 05:36 PM

376274 - do you also complain about gangs etc not being monitored, caught, etc. How does the price of a car (or cars) compare to the billions of dollars to oil companies who are making the biggest profits in the history of man? Peanuts.

COMMENT 376326 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 05:37 PM

They get fleet pricing on fords, so this is no more money than those scooters they are getting soon probably.

Anytime I see a ford with tinted windows, I always double check for lights in the grill. Most of the time they are unmarked

COMMENT 376331 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 05:51 PM

What about the red Torino with the white stripe?

COMMENT 376332 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 05:52 PM

Police don't use imports ...easy to spot a ford with window tint

COMMENT 376334 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 06:00 PM

Don't fall for the criminals trick. Be careful of unmarked police cars.Red lights, siren, fake uniforms are easy to purchase.

If you don't feel safe pulling over for an unmarked vehicle, don't.

Don't let them follow you home.
Drive to the police station or call 911.

If it is a real police officer, they can call back up units, helicopters whatever they need to stop you and prove they're real.

COMMENT 376335 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 06:03 PM

I would not pull for that either. Normal plates? Unless you got lights/sirens and a CA Exempt license plate I'm not pulling over for you.

COMMENT 376338P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 06:11 PM

After the CHP officer murdered that female college student after making a false stop sometime in the 80's, people have been allowed to proceed to a safer area. Not sure what the status of that law is now or if it's been pretzled into something different. His own partner testified against him because he had made strange comments in passing like, "That would be the perfect place to hide a body". I believe it was the partner's tip to investigators that helped find her body.

COMMENT 376347 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 06:28 PM

If you doubt it is a cop, call 911 immediately. They can verify and notify the cop that you are concerned, not running.

COMMENT 376357 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 06:59 PM

284, I remember the station wagon. Baby moon hubcaps and surf racks. Now that was undercover.

COMMENT 376376 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 07:39 PM

Yes the law still stands, that if your unsure you can drive to a safe area, a busy parking lot etc.

COMMENT 376396P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 08:04 PM

So funny. I was thinking about that station wagon just the other day. Wishing it was back, with officers to catch the bicyclists going the wrong way on a one way street and/or on the sidewalk. And the skateboarders on the sidewalk.

And those guys who FLY up Shoreline on their motorized razor-scooter thingies. Why haven't those guys been caught? I have seen them going 50+mph along Cabrillo Blvd. and past SBCC. Loud and dangerous.

And, as long as I'm bitching about it all---why aren't the speed limits in school zones being enforced? I had drivers zipping past me at 35-40mph when yellow lights were flashing, signs read "25mph When Children are Present" and crossing guards were out. Get these jerks!

COMMENT 376428P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 10:45 PM

@007 I remember that wagon !

COMMENT 376446 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 04:36 AM

The wagon was the Baker Boys. They were pretty effective. Funny thing was, when they poured out of that wagon, in their bulky (to cover the gear they were strapping), plain clothing, they looked more like a group of thugs than most of the thugs they interacted with.

COMMENT 376482 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 08:36 AM

The police often use unmarked cars for obvious reasons. The vehicle code does not permit them to use unmarked cars for the regular enforcement of basic traffic laws. That requires a plainly marked car equiped with red lights, siren etc. That does not mean that an officer in such an an unmarked car cannot make a traffic stop, however it would generally have to be something significant, e.g. drunk driving, reckless driving, etc. and generally one that occurred in their immediate presence, and is highly discouraged if that officer is not in full police uniform.

COMMENT 376819 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 06:05 PM

Anyone elae remember that " back in the day" ( the 80s) the allegedly undercover narcotic task force woukd ride around town in a black Firebird!!??!! Those were the infamous days of The Baker Brothers... Just showing my age and my history!!!

20% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 3 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.