Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 85.1°F | Humidity: 44% | Pressure: 29.86in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: NE | Wind Speed: 5.4mph [see map]

Free Newsletter

Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

The Big One's Coming
updated: Feb 19, 2013, 11:47 AM

By Edhat Subscriber

Both my dogs, one of which is 15 yrs old and stone deaf, for no reason just starting barking up a storm at roughly 9.30 this morning. The old dog NEVER barks. Anybody else have their pets acting weird this morning? Is there an earthquake in our near future?

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 376160 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 11:58 AM

Yes. Without a doubt there will be an earthquake in CA in the next 24hours.... it could be "the big one" or a tiny one but there will be at least one.

COMMENT 376161 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 11:59 AM

If anyone claims to know that there is an earthquake in our near future you should not listen to that person.

COMMENT 376163 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 11:59 AM

Storm front passing through, that's all.

COMMENT 376166 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 12:07 PM

low pressure - "storm" possibility

my dogs were going nuts last night, I Iooked outside and there were a few coyotes looking in...

COMMENT 376179 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 12:46 PM

What 163 said.

COMMENT 376180 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 12:47 PM

my abbysinians were a little bit more active this morning after the little bit of wind we are having.. they smell the "storm" i guess...

COMMENT 376183 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 12:48 PM

I can absolutely guarantee that there will be an earthquake in California within 24 hours and I am more than willing to back that up with a $10,000 cash wager, if I can find anyone foolish enough to take me up on it. I'll even give 10:1 odds.

COMMENT 376185 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 12:51 PM

My neighbors cat spoke to me today - wanted to have an in depth discussion of T.S. Elliot's "The Wasteland."

COMMENT 376186 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 12:53 PM

I also absolutely guarantee that there is an earthquake in our future.

COMMENT 376189 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 01:01 PM

I make the ground move when I walk.

COMMENT 376197 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 01:20 PM

Bettors for an earthquake in California within 24 hours have already won. Two small quakes (12:43 and 1:01PM) in the Hemet area.

COMMENT 376202 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 01:30 PM

183: Yeah, yeah, there are EQs in CA every day, we know. I think you and everyone else knows when someone asks about a quake, they are referring to something large enough to be felt. (Also, we're referring to movement locally. If someone asks if it will rain today, they generally aren't referring to the weather in San Francisco.)
OP: The office dogs have seemed totally normal near downtown this morning (and now). I'd guess it was the storm or something local (critters nearby?) rather than an impending EQ.

COMMENT 376203P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 01:33 PM

Trash pickup nearby? That sets my dogs off.

COMMENT 376215 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 01:54 PM

I would refer you to Occam's Razor.

COMMENT 376219 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 02:04 PM

183 - If you can make an accurate prediction within 24 hours and a 100 mile radius of an earthquake above 5.0 magnitude (the type we actually might feel), I will take you up on that bet. My guess is that you just did not understand the question. When someone on a local website asks about an earthquake in OUR near future they are talking about a local quake, probably above a 5.0 magnitude.

COMMENT 376222 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 02:06 PM

My cat wasn't acting any more crazy than usual- she was howling up a storm and timid of the contents of my closet. Same 'ol, same 'ol.

COMMENT 376238 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 02:32 PM

Even though our pets do nutty things all the time and don't warrant concern of the big one coming, I do remember a day when I lived in Mammoth that the birds disappeared out of the sky, all the dogs in the neighborhood starting howling endlessly, and the neighbor's horses were bucking and trying to kick their way out of their corrals.

That night we were slammed with a 7.0 earthquake.

If a sequence of odd animal behavior like that happens one day in SB, then I'll be concerned.

COMMENT 376243 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 02:48 PM

It's weird all right. This morning my dogs suddenly went into the classic Abbott and Costello "Who's On First?" routine. I hope we don't get hit by an earthquake until I can get them an agent.

COMMENT 376252 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 03:01 PM

Our kitten goes NUTS when ever the weather changes

COMMENT 376271P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 03:51 PM

After my husband went out, our dog followed me very closely all morning. He stayed within a few inches of me for several hours, when normally he would just be sleeping. Now (late afternoon) he is fine.

COMMENT 376305 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 04:51 PM

My dog acts "weird" all the time and this morning was no exception

COMMENT 376311P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 05:02 PM

I get migraines with the drop in pressure so I am sure that animals can sense this too.

I had a dog that "predicted" a large earthquake and an aftershock a week later. Of course his prediction preceded my feeling the earthquake by about 30 seconds and the earthquake was over 100 miles away. He never behaved that way before or after. I am sure there was something unique about that earthquake that he could feel, or smell before I could feel it. Of course the earthquake had already happened before I felt it so he was only reacting to something I could not detect.

COMMENT 376314P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 05:10 PM

Everywhere I went this afternoon, I heard tons of emergency vehicle sirens: by the 154, on the Riviera, and in San Roque. Saw nothing here on edhat. Strange day.

COMMENT 376349 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 06:35 PM

Was watching a live news show from LA, when the Northridge quake happened. Their lights were shaking, things falling. I went and woke my wife up and told her we are going to feel an earthquake right now. Sure enough ground started moving. Took almost 45-60 seconds to get here. Would you call that a prediction? Be careful how you bet.

COMMENT 376388 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 07:49 PM

Earthquake preparedness is always a good thing. So no matter what the 'precursor' is, go ahead and take down heavy items on high shelves, and strap your furniture to the walls. And check your water heater to see if it has straps.

COMMENT 376439P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 12:45 AM

All I know is . . . if you're on the beach in Thailand, and the elephants start heading for higher ground . . . you had best run for the hills.

And if you're on any beach, and the water suddenly sucks out VERY VERY far---don't stand there watching, with your teeth in your mouth----get the heck outta there, quick like a bunny.

CORKY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 06:40 AM

Don't place a wager against an earthquake, as there probably are earthquakes almost daily somewhere in CA.

COMMENT 376459 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 07:09 AM

My dog talks to me everyday, but it's always the same thing- you don't feed me enough.

COMMENT 376463 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 07:16 AM

I recently read that if we start to notice a lot of oil on the beach etc., that there is a quake coming. Just read about the birds from our channel being sent to a cleaning place in San Pedro because they were covered with oil from the natural slicks in the channel!

COMMENT 376471 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 08:00 AM

If you start to notice lots of oil on the beach, it's probably because you're looking down. Always oil, tar, more in winter when waves and tides move sand. The seeps never cease.

COMMENT 376535 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 10:06 AM

Funny you brought this up. My Labbies have been randomly barking this morning for no apparent reason, and this is NOT their usual behavior. I'm hoping it is just the gusty winds.

COMMENT 376562 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 10:38 AM

Woke up to find my cat pooped on the couch! :-(

COMMENT 376582 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 11:15 AM

471, duh but if you see sooooo much more than normal I would worry

COMMENT 376835 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 06:35 PM

This morning my dog made me breakfast !

18% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.