Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 73.0°F | Humidity: 33% | Pressure: 29.92in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: ENE | Wind Speed: 6.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Fire Brick
updated: Feb 18, 2013, 3:00 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

While cleaning up around my 1930 San Roque fireplace, I noticed part of a name and design on an interior brick. Then I saw two more bits of the name on other bricks. I can't believe I never saw it. Does anyone know what the name would have been? Sorry the photo is not great. There is a part of a crescent shape under the letters L and A. I think the first letter is L, not C. I love old house building trivia, and the stories behind old construction. I'd love to learn about Santa Barbara brick kiln companies in the old days!

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 375830P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 03:29 PM

It will be fun to see if anyone has the answer. I understand your fascination.

KDEF agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 03:41 PM

The pictures appear to be bricks made by the Los Angles Pressed Brick Company founded in 1887.. Bricks were marked with the letters LAPBCo, The company was sold to Gladding McBean and Co., the tile makers, in 1926. but bricks were manufactured under the LA Pressed Brick company name until the 1930's.

COMMENT 375843 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 03:56 PM

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning 828? I'm sure many will find this interesting, and the majority of those that don't won't spend time writing a biting response.

NATURE BOY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 04:43 PM

Ditto 843.

COMMENT 375855 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 04:43 PM

Old houses are full of nostalgia. I often wonder if we left anything behind in our home. A buried toy perhaps in the garden. The people who bought my parents' over 100 years old home, found my brother's toy watch that had slipped behind the fireplace in one of the bedrooms, when they redecorated. Thay also stripped off layers of wall paper revealing a wall covered with children's drawings.

COMMENT 375877P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 05:59 PM

KDEF, that's really cool! I knew that the Depression took a toll on many of the California art tile companies, but brick and other masonry manufacturers also suffered. It's always been of great interest that this house probably was under construction when the stock market crashed, and how any home builder proceeded under those economic conditions is a story in itself.
To the person whose comment was deleted: I was bullied in grade school, and what you said really reminded me of those days and what bullied kids today go through. Being mean just for the sake of hurting my feelings? If it's not interesting to you, why keep reading? I don't understand meanness.

BJGREEN agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 06:31 PM

Every older home has an interesting story to tell! I've known people who stripped off old wallpaper and found signatures and dates on the plaster beneath. (Plasterers sometimes signed and dated their work.) The owners couldn't bear to paint over this piece of history, so they put a piece of glass over it and added a frame and painted around that. Window installers sometimes "signed" their work by putting a copy of the day's newspaper in the wall before they installed the window. A homeowner on the Mesa who has an old farmhouse told me he found copies of an 1887 newspaper glued to the inside of a wall, maybe for insulation. Enjoy your vintage home!

COMMENT 375899P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 07:41 PM

What's up with the sniping and vitriol and one upsmanship at other posters? I joined this group for the information that is mostly omitted by any other news source (you know who you are), and for the sense of community with the contributors. I joined within hours of discovering how it seemed to be a "family" with each other to share with. It has fallen into a "I'm right, you are wrong" place that isn't nice to even visit, let alone be a resident. So what if there is a small typo? Do the world a favor and and suffer in silence. If there is a inaccurate post, and it is a post that people need more precise information, post it in a kind way instead of making the previously posted person feel like an idiot, and, or ridiculed. You wonder why people don't use their user name? There you go.

COMMENT 375940 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 09:17 PM

899 my sentiments exactly!

COMMENT 375988P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 07:28 AM

Thanks for your question! I learned a lot of interesting information.

COMMENT 375992 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 07:36 AM

828 is just being grumpy. I wouldn't call it bullying, just a bit nasty. Everybody's allowed to have a bad day every once and a while. No need to get anyone's feathers ruffled.

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 09:02 AM

The home and garden channel has a program called, "If these wall could talk", interesting the things found during remodels. I like your question about the bricks, and most of the answers. Hope no one hesitates to ask for information here, or made to feel it's silly just because some insecure posters want to fluff their own feathers and egos with inappropriate answers. Simply feel sorry for them, and appreciate the rest of the community who are polite.

POTPOURRI agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 09:05 AM

When we bought our house in the San Roque foothills in 2001 we discovered two small handprints embedded in cement under the bushes, "Holly and Judy, July 4, '52." The house was built in 1951 and they were the first residents. After the Jesusita Fire in 2009, which came within 17 feet of our house, a woman knocked on our door and introduced herself as Judy. She came by to see if the house was still standing and told us stories about the old neighborhood. What a treat!

COMMENT 376055 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 09:22 AM

Had a friend in Montecito who removed layers of paint from her fireplace tiles to find the most beautiful original tiles. What a thrill to find bits of history in your home.

COMMENT 376106 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 10:34 AM

Great post – I figured someone here would be able to get a good answer. I live in a 1927 house on TV Hill. One day an elderly guy walked up my driveway and introduced himself as Dr. Robinson, who grew up in the house (his family built it). We walked through the house and he remembered the secret cupboard they had in the living room during prohibition, and he had great stories. Later he kindly sent me photos of the house the year it was built. For a history buff like me it was very gratifying.

SBALAX agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 11:00 AM

I love these stories about homes well loved.

We owned a wonderful "Classic Santa Barbara Spanish Style" home on East Padre for 16 years and were always looking for information about it. Luckily our neighbor across the street had lived in the neighborhood since 1946 and had wonderful stories about the original owners, Capt. and Mrs. Barker.

We also were lucky enough to be able to buy a beautiful vintage O'Keefe and Merritt gas range from the "Holiday House" -- think Holiday Hardware -- two houses up the street.

The current owners, who bought from us, have done some wonderful things with the house including appropriate garage doors and cooper gutters and downspouts.

They also added central heat and air which were badly needed. The only heat when we moved in was from electric wall heaters which were effective but VERY expensive to run.

The house still has the original "Annunciator" bell system. I renumbered it so that my bedroom was #1 but nobody ever seemed to answer.

COMMENT 376217 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 01:56 PM

I spent the last year renovating a 1924 Craftsman and found a copy of the Los Angeles "Illustrated Daily News" newspaper from 9/23/24 under the bottom drawer of the built in cabinets in the dining room. It reports of the return of 3 pilots (Lt Lowell H. Smith, Lt. Erik Nelson & Lt. Leigh Wade) after circumnavigating the globe by plane for the first time.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 06:04 PM

Thanks for the information KDEF. I findt hese questions and answers fascinating and agree with 899. If these posts bother people so much just don't read them and please go someplace other than Edhat. I'm getting ready to write an OpEd piece some day about the emergence of all the snarky people. They didn't used yo be on here!. Anyway, fascinating story about the bricks. Let's have more.

COMMENT 376596P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 11:27 AM

I'm a day late with this but I have a wonderful home-improvement story. My father-in-law's mother was a silent film actress, Florence Dudley, who retired to Santa Barbara many years ago. He inherited her 5 large diamonds and had one reworked into a ring for himself. Too soon thereafter the ring was lost, he knew not where. Paul was a home handy-man, always upgrading the yard and house. 20 years after losing his ring, he was doing some cement work in the backyard, digging up the earth, and - you guessed it! Turned up that ring, said it was the best improvement he ever made!

63% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.