Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 84.2°F | Humidity: 49% | Pressure: 29.73in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: NE | Wind Speed: 6.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise

15415 Subscribers
      695 Paid (4.5%)
     225 Commenters
     104488 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Local Stories by Local People
updated: Feb 18, 2013, 11:18 AM

Actress Natalie Portman and her family went whale watching in the Santa Barbara Channel this Sunday.

External Link

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 375720P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 11:57 AM

Hoping to see whale pics I came away disappointed. I am not that kind of stargazer.

COMMENT 375721 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 12:03 PM

I hope the paparazzi won't be so bad in Paris. Sheesh...give the people some space.

COMMENT 375728 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 12:09 PM

Really, this is of local interest? Sad, sad, sad... :-(

COMMENT 375733 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 12:19 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if Santa Barbara was a paparazzi-free zone?

COMMENT 375736 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 12:23 PM

ummmmm, wondering who cares??

BECKY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 12:59 PM

Polite, civilized behavior calls for you not to intrude on others privacy. Here's another vote for a paparazzi free world.

COMMENT 375771P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 01:33 PM

Yeah, why is this news on edhat? I wouldn't even recognize her and being a SB native, was taught to ignore movie stars anyways.... the dolphins and whales are WAY more interesting!

COMMENT 375772 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 01:36 PM

Remember when there were no paparazzi in SB? And now we even have our own "gossip columnist" who requests sightings from us. Since it always seems to be British tabloids who get these stories first, my guess is they come from him. Too bad they can't come up to SB for a little private R&R like they used to before he arrived in town.

COMMENT 375774 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 01:37 PM

Do not blame the paparazzi. Blame those whose lives are so boring that they need to read about / watch the stars.

COMMENT 375795P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 02:15 PM

772, before the British there was Barney at the News Press. It's not new.

COMMENT 375839 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 03:51 PM

Personally, I enjoyed seeing the pics of Natalie Portman. And you know who cares? All of you negative posters. You all clicked thru and looked at the pics and read the article. Such negative, unhappy people on this site. wow.

COMMENT 375849 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 04:29 PM

Ditto:839!

COMMENT 375859 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 04:51 PM

Natalie Portman's Erdos–Bacon number is 6.

COMMENT 375889 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 07:08 PM

So we allow celebrities to visit along with all the tourists? Who would have guessed.

REXOFSB agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 03:35 AM

But if you read the story you see that the excursion was nowhere near here--it was "hours north" of Santa Barbara. Maybe they were in Monterey or somewhere.

COMMENT 376003P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 07:58 AM

Rexofsb, they were on the Condor here in Santa Barbara.

COMMENT 376014 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 08:13 AM

I vote for no celebrity sighting reports on edhat. Its just so tacky and how not to Santa Barbara. Apologies to Erin G. Her book should be recommended reading for SB newcomers.

S'Auntie Barbara

COMMENT 376024P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 08:30 AM

I wouldn't have recognized her, but I think it is interesting to see the Condor get some publicity. It is, after all, Santa Barbara news.

COMMENT 376029 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 08:38 AM

I saw John and Mary Smith whale watching just the other day too.

COMMENT 376076 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 09:51 AM

Whooooooo Caaaaaares???!

COMMENT 376098 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 10:14 AM

My friend was on that cruise and had to stay off one side of the boat. Dumb. Idiotic. Who cares! Pretentious and will fit perfectly in Paris. Get going already.

REXOFSB agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 10:32 AM

@003P: The second paragraph says that the cruise was "hours north" of their home in SB. Only by looking at the very last photo was the boat identified as the Condor Express. Unfortunately, I'd gone to sleep by the time I got that far. "Hours north" of here means "nowhere near SB" to me.

COMMENT 376249P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 02:57 PM

Rexofsb, thanks for admitting you wrote a comment without reading the article and accompanying photos. Unfortunately I think that is common on Edhat. Oh well, it is what it is. <:+)

COMMENT 376309 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-19 04:55 PM

Yawn.

REXOFSB agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 06:24 AM

@239P: Oh, I read the article, alright. The only thing I'm guilty of is failing to notice the Condor Express was identified on a picture at the very end. This changes nothing of my original observation, which was that in the second paragraph it is very plainly stated that the cruise was SEVERAL HOURS NORTH OF SANTA BARBARA. Not WENT several hours north of Santa Barbara, but WAS several hours north of Santa Barbara. Perhaps it was just sloppy or mistaken writing. All I know is what I read. I stand by my original statement and "admit" nothing of the sort.

COMMENT 376615P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 11:41 AM

I was raised in Santa Maria, and a complete bookworm, so many years ago when a friend and I were out and she spied some TV series star - I forget his name, but he was on that Martian series in the 60's?- and went gaga, but was afraid to ask for his autograph (why-on-earth I couldn't imagine) I offered to do it for her. He autographed her napkin, which I gave her, feeling I had done a good deed. Then the man left, and several people descended upon me, chewing my head off for the rude thing I had done! I was about 17 at the time - I never forgot the rude, humiliating treatment I received. But neither would I ever, ever ask for anyone's autograph again! As if. Personally, I thought the man seemed pleased at the time...

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-20 03:03 PM

Somehow I don't think you would all have the same comments if it was Oprah on that boat..

COMMENT 377350 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-22 07:51 AM

@REX sorry but you are wrong. Don't worry though, it is the editor's and writer's fault for publishing a grammatically incorrect article. First off, don't start a paragraph with "And".

"And Natalie Portman and her husband Benjamin Millepied took their growing family on a boating expedition just hours north of their home in Santa Barbara, California on Sunday."

Should have read:
On Sunday, Natalie Portman and her husband Benjamin Millepied took their growing family on a boating expedition in Santa Barbara, California just hours north of their home.

Students, please, this why you pay attention in English class and proof read what you have written.

43% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 2 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.