Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 63.1°F | Humidity: 91% | Pressure: 29.88in (Rising) | Conditions: Mostly Cloudy | Wind Direction: East | Wind Speed: 8.3mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  Viva la Fiesta! Send your fiesta photos to ed@edhat.com login  twitter  facebook  RSS

15438 Subscribers
      699 Paid (4.5%)
     1 Commenters
     2460 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Scanner Reports 2-15-13
updated: Feb 15, 2013, 7:00 AM

By Roger the Scanner Guy

Spank Dog it's FRYday! Hows About we talk about Parks Today? There is a lot of Illegal Activity in Parks Lately. Since Camping is considered to be Illegal that is one of the subjects we can rap about. I hear a lot of Police Calls in the Parks. I have been hearing more lately and it seems that each park is becoming its own little community, especially those within our City Limits.

For years I have heard about problems in Down Town Parks, Oak Park and McKenzie. From what I hear the highest amounts of calls go to Pershing, the Waterfront, McKenzie and Oak Park, of course I'm forgetting Bohnett, East Side, and Vera Cruz NEVERMIND! Fig Tree Park. Recently though it seems the Samarkand Oak Park Area has been under attack. Reports of illegal campers sleeping in back yards. Reports of thefts in both areas although I don't think that all illegal campers are thieving maybe some but not all. I've heard some illegal Camping calls in Stevens Park lately and I hardly ever hear anything going on there. The city ought to make it legal for people to sleep in parks regulate it, hire some more rangers, make some money out of it. In the middle of each park there could be a little building with Washers Dryers, Showers, Lockers for storage a little store combination post office. Charge five bucks a head per night. We'd probably be able to fit a couple thousand people in Oak Park alone. Stevens with all its nooks and crannies at least 3,000 people. We would make a fortune!!! I'm sure with all the room in our parks we could house at least another 80,000, more People easy! We could Stock Alice Keck and Chase Palm Park ponds with Trout and charge 5 bucks a fish. We could turn a negative into a positive since we're going to have illegal campers anyway let's make money off of them. We do drunks, we make a ton of money off of drunks. Between the bars downtown, and the ones at County Jail we got quite a little racket here.

Years ago when I worked at a certain mall at the corner of State and La Cumbre streets our night security guard rented out the entire 2nd floor to illegal campers. He made 28.00 off us before taxes for an 8 hour shift, and 400.00 cash a night off a few dozen campers that wanted to sleep in a warm secure place. I never knew anything about it till he quit then opened up a Harley shop somewhere. I hated him I worked the day shift occasionally I'd get a free piece of candy at the candy store and 28.00 a day before taxes. Ah the good old days. Maybe since this is my idea to rent out the parks, maybe someone could kick me down a few bucks because I'm going to need and buy protection from all the residents trying to kill me. I'm just kidding but I probably gave someone the idea. If anyone would like to share an experience they had at the park or at home concerning this subject or any other feel free to do so.

I went next door and looked around for camp sites since the little problem we had the other night. I found 3 pieces of cardboard leaning against a wall where the elevator is. It was a mess there at least one person sleeping there. I looked behind the dumpster there was more cardboard and what looked like camping gear. I observed at least one camp over the back fence at 211 South Milpas. While I was snooping around one of the neighbors came home. He had a dozen roses he told me they were for his wife, but I know they were really for me. He told me the other night the guy that sleeps behind the dumpster came HOME with two nice bicycles and a Laptop computer. Gee I wonder where he got those. My neighbor also told me that the camping is a nightly thing and he is tired of calling the police. "Nothing ever gets done." He said. That is the third person that told me about people camping back there. If we are going to allow people to illegally camp in our city then it should be regulated. There needs to be RULES! Getting woke up in da middle of the night listing to all that hooping, hollering LOUD SAX. Shooting, now these guys will probably be opening up a fencing operation I think we should at least get paid off down here a little score. Regulate Illegal camping that way we could all share in the profits.

Here is your Scanner Reports, Wednesday Happy Humpster Day:

• Medical Emergency 400 Block of South G street Fall victim head injury.
  • Something don't know what occurred in Pershing Park whatever it was happened before I woke up and I was hearing the leftovers it sounded like maybe some type of assault.
  • Somewhere in the city was an 1144, that is a death most likely which occurred in someone's home it did not suspicious at all. Of course nothing ever does around here.
  • 101 Northbound North of highway 150 Vehicle accident one injury.
  • Medical Emergency at Mason and Milpas possible bad reaction to medication.
  • Heard there was a subject Hispanic male adult wearing a white backpack shooting a gun on Venoco property, did not get which Venoco property suspect it was in Carpinteria.
  • 4 Transients squatting in a vacant house in the 100 Block of North Milpas.
  • SBSO was checking out the Sandy Land Cove area I have no idea why?
  • 101 Southbound South of Milpas unknown if injury traffic accident it was on the Los Patos off-ramp non-injury leaking fluids.
  • Sexual Battery somewhere on Loma Street.
  • 5 Subjects smoking Mary Jane at Oak Park Lane and Pueblo.
  • 7900 Block of Winchester Circle 20002 Hit and Run attempting to drive away in a black car.
  • Another Code 40 male yelling for help at McKenzie Park or possibly in someone's back yard.
  • Child Abuse Investigation at the Station occurred on Hickory.
  • Trash Fire behind the 3000 Block of State Street.
  • 459 Burglary to a residence in the 500 Block of Miles street.
  • 242 Assault at Jimbos in the 2700 Block of DLV.
  • Transient yelling in the 100 Block of West Mason.
  • SBPD was looking for a patient whom left Cottage without permission possibly wearing an IV I don't know if they ever found him but they were looking everywhere.
  • First East Haley medical emergency for a diabetic problem.
  • Premise check at Pershing Park.
  • 415 Domestic in the 2000 Block of Monterey Street.
  • Someone called in and reported that they thought there was a fire near Winchester Gun Club but there was no fire. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • Report of 242 Assault at 235 East Cota the Alano Club.
  • Vehicle rollover Hot Springs at Coast Village.
  • 415 Domestic First Block of Ocean View Boyfriend hitting girlfriend's car. I don't know if he was punching it or smashing into it.
  • I have no idea where this was happening in the County is all I know 415 Domestic where the abuser was actually picking a woman up and throwing her. The last thing I heard was there was a gun in the house but I did not hear a location.

Scanner Reports Valentine's Day:

• A lot of 415 Domestics Valentine's Day makes me wish I had an old lady...NOT!!! I remember when I was a drunk had this gal I saw on West Micheltorena named Donna. I made money back then and no matter what I did (I wasn't physically abusive toward women) she would always forgive me and my wallet was always a bit lighter when I left. I was kinda of a big mouth as ya all can imagine. The next day I would be at Donna's door Promising over and over again to be a good boy and NOT act like a fool ever again I'd say..." Oh Honey, Baby Doll please let me into your heart again I love you Sweetheart, I'm so sorry." It makes me sick now. Remembering that, Mushy, mush, mush. I was really angry when I found out she was with other guys when I was at work, I wanted my money back.
  • Illegal lodger 600 Block of State Street.
  • Down in Carpinteria someone was having a mental breakdown.
  • Medical Emergency in the 200 Block of West New Love man down.
  • Burglary to a vehicle in the 1000 Block of East Gutierrez.
  • Domestic violence somewhere on Anapamu.
  • Male down behind the 2900 Block of DLV.
  • 415 5150 Inside the Apple Store yelling and throwing things.
  • Possible overdose 100 Block of Chapala.
  • Drunk Driver driving around the Mesa in a white Jeep Liberty SBPD caught up with him at Hendry's beach.
  • 2 Transients yelling and raising HELL in front of Something's Fishy 500 Block of State Street.
  • Transient changing a flat tire on a bicycle in traffic near the Milpas Roundabout 41 South Milpas.
  • Threats investigation at the Mental Wellness Center in the 600 Block of Garden.
  • White Mercedes parked in the drop off zone in front of the main post office 800 Block of Anacapa.
  • 415 Female refusing to leave the East Side Library 1102 East Montecito.
  • Fall Victim head injury at the Villa Santa Barbara 227 East Anapamu.
  • SBPD looking for a cutter last seen driving away from the 800 Block of Cacique with blood on his face.
  • 3700 Block of Modoc medical for a fractured wrist.
  • Be on the Lookout for a stolen white Specialized 18-Speed mountain bike, grey bike with white lettering.
  • Report of man with bloody face on the freeway, must have been near Milpas because he was found at Kimberly and Nopalito Fire and Medics responded for an assault victim.
  • Injury Accident Mira Monte and Carrillo vehicle vs bicyclist.
  • Cacique and Milpas injury traffic accident near the 101 Bridge 2 cars involved.
  • 415 500 Block of State Street, transients.
  • Unknown exact location the Carpinteria side of the bridge Hispanic male grabbing Hispanic female around the neck.
  • 415 Transient disturbing Vera Cruz Park.
  • 417 Brandishing a knife Cota and State in front of Joes between 5 people not sure where they all went but the suspect was last seen East on Haley.

That is all your getting out of me for now unless something important happens then I'll Code Red it. My back has a pulled muscle and it's not just my back anymore I got pinched nerves all over my body like 24/7 not getting much sleep because I'm cramping all over the place no pun intended. I am in extreme agony I'm glad for those of you that will be happy to hear this. Anyway Have a Wonderful Weekend and Dog willing we will see you on Monday. Love, Roger

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 374635 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 08:08 AM

Look on Craigslist. That's where I bought my stolen bike. In my defense, I don't expect people to be involved in crimes so I only realized later that the transaction had some weird aspects to it which meant the bike was probably stolen. I asked the police if they had any reports for the type of bike I bought but they said no.

COMMENT 374642 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 08:24 AM

If that bike wasn't stolen from San Roque, then you can be on the look out for two grey Specialized bikes....taken from the back door of my neighbor's closed garage, behind a closed fence.

COMMENT 374669 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 09:29 AM

Your cardboard is my affordable housing.

COMMENT 374679 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 10:10 AM

just for the record, I own a Specialized grey bike. If you see me riding around town DO NOT CALL the police, I own it and will be upset if you interrupt my ride.

Grey, Specialized bikes are very popular, are there any other identifying marks?

COMMENT 374680 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 10:18 AM

If cardboard is your housing, take a Greyhound to Fresno, Bakersfield or Hanford- you can live like a human in an apt for a couple hundred bucks a year. CYA!

COMMENT 374717 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 11:39 AM

!@#$!@ing thieves. it is getting ridiculous in this town. Cops need to start doing stings on thieves instead of crosswalks.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 11:56 AM

Just for the Record @679 Could you please wear a sign on your head that your not the Specialized Bicycle theif, I already called in acouple of those bikes..You really can't tell Grey Bike white lettering.

COMMENT 374734 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 11:56 AM

What can the cops do? It's the vagrants who populate this town like the living dead... The City Attorney, Mayor and Police Chief are the ones you should be barking at...!

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 12:01 PM

Don't the cops get paid to serve and protect or is that just in LA?

COMMENT 374801 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 02:49 PM

Roger & I use to watch the PD doing bike stings all the time at my old station on Milpas. They used a bike that cost enough to make the bust grand theft and they would watch it from behind our wall. Campers, putting up with loud noises , loud sax, hooping and hollering !! Why do people put up with this ? The campers should have knocked on the door and just ask, Roger do you think you can keep the noise down were trying to sleep back here...... haha

SHAKEY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 03:28 PM

Ahhhhh that's better 801 was me shakey, I forgot to renew my subscription, I read the comment over and just saw , bla bla bla blaa, so I renewed my sub. Start being a subscriber and let SB know what your thinking about....

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 03:48 PM

Apprently the laws are made to be enfoced and that is what the police are supposed to do enforce da law. I hear all this scrap about the ACLU Suing and the police can't do much but I hear them on the scanner doing things..so 734 Are you saying the police can't do anything? I'm starting to think we have a police department to keep the citizen in line. Everyone else gets to PARTY and Raise HELL but SNOT the citizen. Shakey I remember when they had an old fart undercover fella at the bus stop down the street with 10 or so grand on him trying to lure long hairs into robbing him. This was when the casino first opened.. He showed me all that money I told him to take a cab home put it under his mattress and put it in the bank the next day..Funny

COMMENT 374861 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 04:43 PM

You hit the nail on the head Roger... The cops are just there to keep the honest people honest. The vagrants who commit crimes, yes, sleeping, peeing and c#raping on the beaches and parks is against the law, as is illegal panhandling, drinking in public, loitering, etc. but the City Attorney is afraid to prosecute. It costs the city money in booking fees, costs the county to jail them and we are all STUCK with it. It is a problem that is shoved down our throats. BUT if Joe taxpayer breaks the law, you can bet that he/she WILL be prosecuted to the ends of the law as they have $$$$ to pay fines... Joe taxpayer will also pay for the half-way housing, social workers, medical costs for the criminals too. It's a great system!

COMMENT 374872 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 05:23 PM

Navy torpedo training once they are on the barges would be good

COMMENT 374883 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 06:03 PM

Hermes, hate to say it but IMO (in my honest opinion), 861 hit the nail on the head.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 06:50 PM

Taxpayers gotta get their anger out somehow thats why they whine..lol I don't mind them doing it..

COMMENT 374927P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 08:40 PM

679. Sure. We believe you. Where'd you purchase your bike again?

SHAKEY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 09:05 PM

How about moving a lot of them to one of the closed military base were they half to work ( on the base ) to live there !! A Gov. store to buy what ever they need with there EBT cards so the money goes right back into the program and a clinic run by MediCal , again so the money goes back. Just a thought !!

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-16 10:14 AM

Damn Shakey that is a great ideaer! Of course they don't want to work here scums the ACLU Again!

COMMENT 375122P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-16 02:39 PM

We're own some property in another state (rural, north). The city park there is on a major river and has campsites. There are bathrooms with cold running water and flush toilets. People are encouraged to pay what they can afford to camp there, and are asked not to camp there for more than 2 weeks time. It seems to work quite well.

California has become an entitlement state, and our ridiculous policies, which pamper the crooks and homeless, just make it worse and worse. If you hold people accountable and responsible, and treat them like adults, then they start acting like adults. Those who don't behave like responsible adults end up in jail for a long time, not the brief stops we specialize in here.

45% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 2 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.