Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 56.1°F | Humidity: 99% | Pressure: 30.00in (Steady) | Conditions: Partly Cloudy | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15824 Subscribers

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Missing Sonoma Man
updated: Feb 14, 2013, 1:24 PM

Source: Santa Barbara Police Department

Missing Person from Sonoma, California

SANTA BARBARA, CA - February 14, 2013

Please see the attached missing person flyer for Jason Lewis Kyles, age 34, from Sonoma, California. He has been missing since February 2, 2013. His family believes he may have experienced a psychotic break and is very concerned for his welfare. Kyles had recently visited Santa Barbara and may have returned to the area. He may be living on the street. If seen, please call 9-1-1.

# # # #

# # # #

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 374407 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 01:57 PM

I think I have seen this guy. Hard to miss a guy 6'6". The guy I'm taling about has been around for the last year though. I work off Cesar Chavez and see him in this area.

COMMENT 374425 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 02:23 PM

I'm fairly certain that I saw this guy a few times too - also on Cesar Chavez. The funny thing that crossed my mind was, if this guy ever did anything wrong he would be really easy to spot. Last time I saw him was Tuesday 2/12 on Cesar Chavez he was walking from the beach, just past the railroad tracks at 5:52PM. He was wearing a grayish/greenish jacket with a hood.

COMMENT 374433 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 02:34 PM

Why not contact authorities then?

COMMENT 374435 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 02:39 PM

433 shouldn't the authorities be monitoring the comments on posts they make anyway? I think so.

COMMENT 374437P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 02:40 PM

I hope the posters have done so, 433. If not, Please do so!
but the police will see this, eventually.

This is heartbreaking.

COMMENT 374452 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 03:03 PM

@433 I just did contact the authorities by posting my comment.

COMMENT 374486 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 03:32 PM

These alerts are just scraped off nixle and reposted, just like everything else here. Call the cops if you have seen him.

COMMENT 374525 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 04:42 PM

Edhat isn't the authorities, guys. 425/407, if you really think you saw him, tell the cops. Please. Don't expect them to have someone checking comments of every website that has posted their press release, because that's near impossible. (Besides - would YOU want to read the comments on edhat if your were SBPD?)

COMMENT 374556 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 05:45 PM

I called the police in Sonma County around 3pm to tell them about the post. I ended up giving the URL to the woman who answered the phone and she will take it from there. - They may or may not contact Edhat for additional information.

In my humble opinion, if you see something call the police. Don't report it on a message board and expect someone else to see it. Take responsibility and act. In an emergency situation someone who takes charge and is the "hero" designates someone to call 911, because if they don't sometimes NO one does anything.

I should not have been the one to call the police. And I hope I was not the only person who took some action and called. That would be terrible.

I regret not posting that I called and I am sorry to have not informed other.

COMMENT 374590 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 07:39 PM

I saw him in Goleta yesterday and I called the SO to tell them where and when. Keep an eye out for him, as he is definitely in the area.

COMMENT 374602 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 09:19 PM

Hi - I am Jason's wife. I am so desperate to find Jason. Would you please take a look at the facebook page I created and really look at his picture?

I need to know if you are sure this is the man you saw.

I was going to do a search in Santa Rosa at the park this weekend, but if this lead is credible, I will be coming to Santa Barbara.

Thank you all so much for your help. This has been a nightmare and I just need to get Jason home.

Rebecca

COMMENT 374630 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 07:41 AM

There is an organization called Common Ground that I believe just did a county wide survey of the homeless in the area. My fiance participated in this last year and they took photos and interviewed nearly every homeless person in Santa Barbara County. If they have completed their most recent survey the organization may have a photo of Mr. Kyles. Here is the link and I wish the family all the best in finding him:

COMMENT 374633 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 08:07 AM

REBECCAKYLES - I pray you find your husband quickly. And to those who have spotted him, call the police! Posting on Edhat does not relieve you of your responsibilites in helping this man or his family, you've spotted now do something constructive about it.

COMMENT 374640P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 08:23 AM

Oh geez; This must be awful for the family. Thanks DirtyHarry for the link to Common Ground and hope it will help.

COMMENT 374645 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 08:30 AM

Thank you for your support. Jason has been missing for 13 days. If you saw someone that looked like Jason prior to Feb 3rd (we know he was seen on the evening of the 2nd in Sonoma County) that would not be Jason.

We have had a few leads and we get our hopes up, only to find out they are other people. I am trying not to do that here. It hurts too bad when it turns out not to be Jason.

COMMENT 374651 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 08:51 AM

I sent you a message last night through Facebook with information about seeing him in Goleta 2 days ago.

COMMENT 374658 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 09:02 AM

Hi 374651: I did not get the facebook message.

My email is findjasonkyles@gmail.com

Would you please send the information again?

I just posted more pictures of Jason. Would you please take a look at his facebook page:

I am hoping more photos can either confirm or rule out what you saw.

I can't THANK YOU enough for helping our family.

-Rebecca

COMMENT 374662 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 09:17 AM

Does Jason have a greyish/greenish jacket kind of like a windbreaker with a hood?

COMMENT 374668 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 09:25 AM

I don't know. He removed his clothing in Annadel State Park. He could have either had clothing stashed someplace or he could have stolen or been given clothing by someone. The jacket doesn't ring a bell.

Please look at his photos on facebook if you think you have seen him. Also, he probably hasn't shaved for at least 2-3 weeks. His hair would still be fairly short. He got a haircut right before he went missing.

COMMENT 374672 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 09:41 AM

Rebecca, this must be so painful for you.

Please be aware that for years I have seen a 6'6, slender, clean shaven man who could meet your husband's description. I see him downtown.

I hope people remembering that they saw someone meeting your husband's description are not having mistaken sightings of our local SB man.

If your husband was not schizophrenic before this age, it's very unlikely that that he developed it. More likely is a meth binge accompanied by not sleeping for many nights caused an acute, self-limited psychotic break that would resolve after some resstorative sleep.

I was an ER doctor for years so am not judging; just giving a plausable explanation for what might have caused this.

Contact Officer WoJo (long polish last name but he goes by Wojo who may at least know the name of the tall local SB man so that doesn't interfere with sightings of Jason.

COMMENT 374675 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 09:57 AM

Thank you for the information. Jason was being really manic for the last two weeks. Prior to that, he had never had a manic episode, just some very bad seasonal depression. I can guarantee that Jason is not on meth. Jason is very against taking any type of man-made chemical. He won't even take aspirin.

Jason has been a vegetarian for over 10 years and recently became vegan. That being said, he does have a medical marijuana card and was eating marijuana cookies because he was convinced it would help stabilize his mood. Over the last weeks he stopped eating the cookies and became very manic and stopped sleeping. There was evidence that he consumed mushrooms right before he entered the park on Feb 2nd. I found a ton of writings about finding himself and religion in his truck. I think “he thought” he could somehow reset his brain.

If this other tall man is the person that people are seeing, that probably means Jason is still in the park in Sonoma. The really bad part is that he was seen without clothing at 5pm on Feb 2nd. The nights have been in the mid to upper 30s in that area. If he didn’t walk out of the park area and find shelter, I believe the outcome could be very bad. However, please keep looking. If there was any way that Jason could have made it to Santa Barbara, I am certain that is where he would go. A week before he disappeared he helped a homeless man get food and convinced him to ride a bus to Santa Barbara. Jason thought that the area was the most wonderful place he had ever been.

I pray we find him this weekend.

Rebecca

COMMENT 374681 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 10:21 AM

Rebecca, I pray that you are able to find your husband quickly and get him the help that he needs. Your story is heartbreaking and Jason sounds like a individual who has a really good heart but he is just lost and needs medical care. I will keep you in my prayers and I will keep my eyes out for him. Just so that you know Santa Barbara is quote a distance from Sonoma so unless you are aware that he had some money for the bus I would be sure to keep posting on other sites in other counties as well. I am sure that you have already done this but I wish you the best in your search. I hope he comes home to you soon.

LISAD agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 06:44 PM

Rebecca, wishing you the best and hope Jason is found soon. From the photos you posted on FB, he looks like a wonderful man.

COMMENT 375171 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-16 05:46 PM

Thank you for your kind words. I have had a few different people contacting me to say they really believe that they have seen Jason in Santa Barbara on State street. I am praying these reports are true. I am in Santa Rosa continuing the search of the park. We have had leads that didn't work out before and it is just devastating. We do have family driving to SB to try and walk around to see if they can confirm or rule out the sightings.

If you think you see Jason please contact the SB police.

13% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.