Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 56.8°F | Humidity: 99% | Pressure: 29.85in (Rising) | Conditions: Light Rain | Wind Direction: SW | Wind Speed: 5.4mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15843 Subscribers

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this
HISTORY

Casa de Sevilla
updated: Feb 14, 2013, 9:04 AM

By Edhat Subscriber

A good friend who collects postcards sent me this one. Does anyone have any information about it?

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

SBSURFERLIFE agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 09:31 AM

I think this used to be where that new vegan restaurant is today, Adama's. The building looks almost identical. I wasn't here when it was Casa de Sevilla but sounds very cool!

COMMENT 374291 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 09:38 AM

indeed that is the vegan restaurant now. I always thought that building was begging to be a strip club.... ahh I guess only in my dreams

COMMENT 374308 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 10:10 AM

Lovely, expensive restaurant with a real Spanish feel. Often attended by SB's "swells" and ranchers. We couldn't afford to go there often, but it was always a big treat. I'm talking at least 40 years ago.

COMMENT 374313P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 10:24 AM

I believe it was owned by the Egus family.

JEFFINSB agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 10:45 AM

Pete's place! It was awesome.

COMMENT 374335 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 10:57 AM

Classic SB restaurant! Coat required for all men

NEIGHBOR agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 11:05 AM

A number of correct references already, but let me add that it's in the 400 block-eastside of Chapala St.

COMMENT 374368 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 12:19 PM

I only went there once for a family birthday. It was very nice.

COMMENT 374515 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 04:32 PM

At least 40-50 years ago, it was one of the best places to go for dinner if you could afford it. The other place to go nearby was the Talk of the Town - it had a great bar and bartender, cozy and wonderful fireplace--men wore coat & tie, women only skirts, no pants.

COMMENT 374618 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 06:33 AM

Casa de Sevilla was a great restaurant. I was sad when it closed.

TOTCH agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 07:01 AM

It was owned by the Egus family. My friend Helen Egus's father was the chef. Her aunt and uncle owned the restaurant. She married Dick Dal Pozzo. They eloped from our house. She passed away some time back. Not sure about Dick. I heard he had remairried. We all lived on Steven Rd. Dick and I chased horses in the middle of the night in our P.J.s Finally got them corraled again. Good people.

COMMENT 374639P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 08:17 AM

Casa de Sevilla was a classy, unpretentious restaurant and it's hard to find the classy and the unpretentious now in Santa Barbara.

COMMENT 374644 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 08:28 AM

My parents tried to take me and my boyfriend there when we were in high school, but we couldn't get in because my mother was wearing "slacks". They did have a dress code!

COMMENT 374663 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 09:18 AM

Fine restaurant. Good food and very classy and private. They did have a dress code and actually kept a few suit coats or blazers and ties for those gentlemen that did not remember that they had a code. They DID NOT have dresses for the ladies so if one forgot about the code you were out of luck. In this day and age someone would probably sue, cliaming "discrimination" against women!

COMMENT 374677 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 10:06 AM

Back in its day Casa De Sevilla was a Hollywood hang out! I heard that Katherine Hepburn and others dined there. It was a nice upscale Santa Barbara restaurant. I miss it. There is nothing like it now.

ARCHIE agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 10:41 AM

639P, I think the Montecito Cafe is classy and unpretentious....

AGENTSME agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 10:58 AM

I remember going there once and being surprise to see the "every table reserved thing"...... (They can turn you away if they don't like the look of you pointing out that they "do not have a table because they are reserved....")
I guess we looked OK as our group was seated and we had a very fabulous dinner and great service.

ELELLEN2 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-15 12:39 PM

Wow one of the best restrurants in town. have a great story about going there. I had reservations there to eat in the 60's when pants suits were becoming the rage, went in and was pleasantly told no pants allowed for women, so I trotted to the ladies room took of my pants and walked back out with a short dress on. The mater de didn't even blink his eye but sat us right away. Boy times have changed! Loved the food and became good friends with the owners. great memories of wonderful times.

FIRST DISTRICT agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-16 10:25 AM

The Wyse family ran this fine restaurant for many years. Two specialties were unsurpassed. They were so wonderful I never attempted them any where else.

I have fond memories of going there on special occasions.

COMMENT 475390 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-12-08 01:26 PM

One of my favorite all time restaurants -- Chili Con Queso appetizer & Abalone entre is as good a meal as I've ever had anywhere.

50% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.