Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 83.5°F | Humidity: 38% | Pressure: 29.86in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 3.8mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15682 Subscribers
      687 Paid (4.4%)
     90 Commenters
     53851 Page Views

Drama Dogs (Sept 26-Oct 5)
Drama Dogs (Sept 26-Oct 5)

The Winehound
The Winehound

Wine Tasting and Yacht Tours
Wine Tasting and Yacht Tours

Bike MS
Bike MS

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Teens Arrested for Vandalism
updated: Feb 13, 2013, 5:59 PM

Source: SBPD

Mark Todd Euglow, age 18, of Santa Barbara, and Jacob Tyler Kelliher, age 18, of Garden Grove but originally from Santa Barbara, were arrested for numerous charges stemming from an investigation into graffiti vandalisms that had occurred on Santa Barbara's North End. Investigation revealed that Euglow had committed these crimes after having been released from Santa Barbara County Jail on his own recognizance following a December 17, 2012 felony arrest by SBPD personnel for burglary and approximately 26 acts of graffiti vandalism.

On February 5, 2013 SBPD Youth Services Section Detective Gary Siegel received information from a North End resident that Euglow might once again be actively tagging in the area. The resident was familiar with Euglow's history and had noticed that recent graffiti vandalisms bore a striking resemblance to those previously attributed to Euglow. From February 6 through February 12, 2013 Detective Siegel and his partner, Detective Ben Ahrens, located and documented several graffiti vandalisms that they attributed to Euglow. The vandalisms were to public and private property on Calle Real, Hope Avenue, Hitchcock Way, and Peach Grove Lane. Enough evidence was gathered that Detective Siegel was able to obtain a warrant for Euglow's arrest for felony vandalism and for committing a felony while released on his own recognizance. Additionally, Detective Siegel obtained a search warrant for Euglow's residence on 300 Apple Grove Lane.

On February 12, 2013 Detective Siegel, Detective Ahrens, and other SBPD personnel served the search warrant on Euglow's residence. Euglow was contacted there and arrested. Also contacted was Kelliher, who was sleeping on a second bed in Euglow's room. The detectives found several cans of spray paint, markers, spray can nozzles, and a paint mask hidden in Euglow's clothes hamper. Kelliher was found in possession of a paint marker. Additionally, a laptop computer, an iPhone, cash, and stereo headphones were found during the search; items that the detectives were able to confirm had been stolen from unlocked vehicles. Subsequent investigation revealed that Euglow and Kelliher were responsible for the thefts.

Euglow was booked into Santa Barbara County Jail for the felonies of vandalism, committing a felony while released on bail or own recognizance, and grand theft. He was also booked for the misdemeanors of possession of vandalism tools and petty theft. His bail amount is $45,000.00.

Kelliher was arrested and booked in to Santa Barbara County Jail for the felony of grand theft and the misdemeanors of possession of vandalism tools and petty theft. His bail amount is $20,000.00.

# # # #

# # # #

MUG SHOT GALLERY

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

SBFUNLOVER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 06:08 PM

Job well done!

COMMENT 374158 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 06:18 PM

hahahah I know that kid JAKE! dumb punk should stay in there. i love how his buddy has what looks like a week old shiner! haha punks

COMMENT 374163 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 06:38 PM

own recognizance

following a December 17, 2012 felony arrest by SBPD personnel for

burglary and approximately

26 acts of graffiti vandalism.

WHAT? Released on OR after all of that? Really????

COMMENT 374164 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 06:53 PM

So white, so wrong.

COMMENT 374166 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 07:07 PM

They need to go visit that Sheriff in Arizona for a year or so.

COMMENT 374167 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 07:10 PM

Kind of off topic, but would the poster SBPD please take more time to report crimes with photos that are a bit more serious than this? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad these two were caught, but a lot of time was spent on this notice when last week a RAPE suspect was on the run after the man's 13 or 14 year old stepdaughter was found to be pregnant.

I wouldn't say anything, but this reporting is so skewed you have to ask why this is more important to report on with all the details and photos when the other really wasn't reported on and there were no real details for the public to act on. Publishing something in the manner that they did was not a public service, in my humble opinion. - A suspected RAPIST on the run and no one knew what he looked like, but the SBPD wanted to let people know what happened. It could not get any more ridiculous.

Does anyone else think priorities need to change here?

COMMENT 374168 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 07:13 PM

I saw a sprawl while exiting Mission St. (southbound): "Support Your Local Artists." Pablo Picasso, Leonardo da Vinci, Paul Cezanne, Claude Monet, Bumbles "I'd Rather Fight for a Terryton" Buglow, and Koo-koo for Koco-bong Kelliher. They are a disgrace to themselves, their families, to each of us, and to the art community.

COMMENT 374170P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 07:19 PM

Yep, punks, dumb punks. WPOD, nod to the Tubes.

167, I thought his pic was shown in the news stories. He's been in the system a while. Search Edhat, Noozhawk and Independent for his name.

COMMENT 374174P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 07:28 PM

Also, if you read the comments and view the number of responses to graffiti, reports, complaints and arrests, the cops are doing just what the community wants them to do.

COMMENT 374175P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 07:29 PM

Very wierd ears. Alien that has landed and is sending messages to the mothership? I don't know. But good work SBPD. Graffiti is right up there with l the trash that seems to "fall" out of stupid people's cars. Thank you for busting these aliens.

COMMENT 374177P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 07:35 PM

374167 - I think that is a simple matter of reporting news (of all stripes) as it happens. Otherwise, provide statistics that support the charge.

COMMENT 374185P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 08:16 PM

167, my thought is that it's about what the po po have done rather than what they haven't got buttoned up yet.

What and how crimes and suspects are reported to the public is dependent upon who's tender hearts are going to get hurt. Tennis coach? Music instructor? We'd know about it in a hot second.

COMMENT 374186 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 08:28 PM

Their homies must be proud aye

COMMENT 374188 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 08:34 PM

@167: Why can't both types of crimes be reported? No reason it has to be an either/or thing. Graffiti vandalism affects everyone and should never be ignored, especially when the cops actually catch little creeps like these two paragons--and repeat offenders at that!

COMMENT 374199 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 08:59 PM

Dumb and Dumber!

COMMENT 374201P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 09:32 PM

167, you are reading a police report for an investigation that has concluded, or at least been finalized to turn over to the D.A. It does not mean the police are not working on the other case, or the public likes graffiti cases more than solving rape cases.
A sexual assault case takes a lot more discretion and TLC and unless you know something specific, speculating about why and when they put information out to the public is futile. Any criminal behavior and disrespect for public or private property should be dealt with, and these more petty crimes are often practice for more serious offenses as time goes on. Lighten up, I'd say.

COMMENT 374202P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 09:38 PM

Are those pearl earrings? What a fashion statement.

COMMENT 374203P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 09:43 PM

Great work, SBPD. Quality of life crimes are just the beginning and these tools will set a nice example. And with juicy bail amounts, it'll cost them just to post bail. I'm for cutting off the offending index finger that sprayed the paint, but until that is the law, then let's put them on 2,000hrs of community service, erasing graffiti.

COMMENT 374204P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 09:48 PM

I've always thought Graffiti is one big FU to the community - those kids should be put on work detail, in public with a sign saying what they got charged for. Humiliate them!

COMMENT 374210P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 10:17 PM

I'd like to highlight this arrest for those who bash Latinos in arrest notifications when there is not yet any background info or proof that they are guilty or not or citizens or not. I believe that is done due to their appearance. Pretty extreme racism, I think. We have no way of knowing if they are citizens or not.

Yes, Latinos are often responsible, but these kids are white and probably come from a better economic background. Look at the neighborhoods they hit! They really screwed up and are ^*%*%.

Where's the extreme, knee-jerk, rage and rant reaction against stupid, criminal, destructive white kids?! Where are the calls for these people to clean their work while handcuffed? For all anyone knows they could be "anchor babies" from eastern european countries. Okay, I'm pushing it; I too know the name "Euglow" from living in SB.

I'm American, thus I still believe in innocent until proven guilty. Although I would be unable to serve on a jury for this case and many others if the cases went that far, due to my consumption of local media. But the process must be respected and adhered to.

Again, our system is not perfect, but it is better than most in the world.

COMMENT 374211P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 10:32 PM

Re: rape case coverage.
Thanks 201P.
And to 167, I read multiple local news sites and national news, through Google news page and/or LA & NY Times, every day. Yes, I have the time and interest; I realize many do not. But if you don't keep or follow up, or more accurately follow "back," you cannot criticize news coverage.

COMMENT 374212P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 10:35 PM

And about "cutting off the offending index finger" that 203P wrote....
I just have very little to say about that, beyond repeating I'm glad I live in the USA.

COMMENT 374222P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 02:20 AM

Did I read correctly that they sprayed on Peach Grove AND they lived on Apple Grove? Were they trying to throw the Police off track? This is a great example of why offenders need more than a slap on the wrist.

COMMENT 374224P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 03:18 AM

Well. I am thrilled to pieces. This posting made my day. Good job, SBPD. I love it when you stop these brats from messing up our scenery. Yahoo.

2,000 hours community service, apiece, while sporting "I'm a vandal" vests would be the way to go.

COMMENT 374225P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 03:19 AM

Forgot to add: I don't think "vandalisms" is a word.

COMMENT 374231P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 03:58 AM

Okay. Never mind. I looked it up. Vandalisms is the plural. It just doesn't look right or read right to me.

COMMENT 374242 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 07:21 AM

186 Thats my line aye !

COMMENT 374257 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 07:50 AM

I live in the neighborhood and had called the City numerous times regarding the constant graffiti vandalism on Perry Ford's Calle Real wall, fire hydrants,light standards, communication boxes and the sidewalks and curbs.
It's is hard to believe that the Judges / DA does not prosecute to a higher level. I hope the LAME PARENTS, who live on Apple Grove, and their off spring pay financially and with serious jail time.

COMMENT 374264 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 08:51 AM

Great Work Police Department!

Nip it in the Bud! Always the best approach.

COMMENT 374294 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 09:48 AM

Sad to see kids that were in school with my kids take the wrong road.

COMMENT 374303 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 10:03 AM

I'm with 294. When I first saw this last night, I was happy the kids were caught. But, then, the more I thought about it the sadder I felt that this is where the boy we sort of knew ended up.

COMMENT 374305P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 10:06 AM

SALLYC - you've got to be kidding. Go Dons!

COMMENT 374314 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 10:25 AM

these boys...wish they'd just act right...so sweet hearted with great potential and they choose to mess up.

COMMENT 374334 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 10:52 AM

Why would any comment suggest "sweet boys"??? These guys are punks and continued to vandalize businesses with graffiti and burglarize their neighbors even after being " prosecuted" on prior dates! They are criminals and as far as I am concerned, Mommy & Daddy should be held accountable as well due to the fact their kids were active with graffiti in the neighborhood for years..

COMMENT 374337P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 11:03 AM

334 - they are both 18 now. So "mommy and daddy" have no responsiblitiy for their actions. Do yours?

COMMENT 374356P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 11:55 AM

It's not only vandalism; they're also going down for grand theft. I can't believe the low bail.

170P, the finger comment wishing for sharia law here at home reveals a bit of that knee jerk rage you were asking about. Otherwise, I'm afraid you're not going to find those racist ranters on this thread; this kind of thing--crime by white people--doesn't count to them. They see it like so: when a member of some group they don't like commits a crime, they blame the whole group; when a white guy commits a crime, they (correctly) blame the guy.

COMMENT 374396P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 01:31 PM

lol@356P.

As if. But, way to do the Twist and Shout.

COMMENT 374430P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 02:32 PM

Thank you for posting the photos and the story. Vandalism hurts us all, and knowing who to look out for helps us prevent it or catch them.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 02:33 PM

4204P, I'm with you. I think humiliation is a great, effective form of punishment (though lots of others here will disagree with me).Let's bring back the stocks!

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 03:01 PM

I think Sally C was being ironic - quite cleverly so - and referring to people who always blame Latinos who go to a certain high school

60% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 6 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.

Comments on this thread are only open to Community Members.

# # # #