Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 77.2°F | Humidity: 63% | Pressure: 29.87in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 9.2mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  Viva la Fiesta! Send your fiesta photos to ed@edhat.com login  twitter  facebook  RSS

15437 Subscribers
      701 Paid (4.5%)
     116 Commenters
     74573 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Parking Cameras
updated: Feb 12, 2013, 1:02 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

Looks like city of Santa barbara has stoped using the chalk marking system, and implemented the video cameras on their carts, I just got a ticket, and few more cars around the block.

# # # #

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

D8VANILLA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 01:07 PM

Those video cameras have been used for a couple years now.

COMMENT 373735 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 01:07 PM

Where were you parked? Downtown or residential area?

COMMENT 373736 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 01:10 PM

There is only one cart with the cameras. The others, all still use the chalk stick. Read and dare I say, obey the posted signs, all of them. Doing so will save you $48.

COMMENT 373740 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 01:17 PM

Maybe we can blend the robo camera carts with a google car and save some metermaid pension costs? They are pretty much telling us it takes no skill to do this job, so why not eliminate the last bit of skill required, the ability to keep the cart on the road.

COMMENT 373742 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 01:19 PM

Thank you for coming to Santa Barbara, in order for us to pay for our free parking lots we have billed you for not using them. Thank you and please, come again.

COMMENT 373744 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 01:20 PM

740, you forget placing the tickets. You also forget that half of all people around you are of below-average intelligence. If you eliminate all jobs that don't require much/any thought, what is half of the population going to do? I see your point but it is a slippery slope.

COMMENT 373747 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 01:22 PM

That is a tough job dealing with pissed people all the time. Thanks meter persons for dealing with people who don't obey the laws most of us do obey.

COMMENT 373748 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 01:22 PM

Don't park illegally and you won't get a ticket. Simple.

COMMENT 373756 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 01:49 PM

Let's change their name to what they really are:

Revenue Generation Officers.

Has to be one of the worst jobs out there. Their whole duty is to give people bad days. Why on earth would you spend every working day making other people miserable? I'd rather clean the sewer than do this worthless duty...

I wonder how many tickets they have to write just to pay for themselves and their little carts?

COMMENT 373759P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 01:57 PM

756: While I certainly feel bad when I get a ticket I also accept that violating parking laws is not all that hard to avoid. And think how others might have a bad day because of yours (or anyone's) improper parking. Without these "revenue generation officers" lots of people would feel empowered to park wherever they wanted creating untold nuisance issues.

COMMENT 373761 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 02:08 PM

Aww... so sad to see folks so upset when they get caught doing what it is plainly posted that they do not do.

Don't want to contribute your revenue to the City coffers? Simple... do what is asked that you do. If you want to do what you want to do regardless of the consequences... be prepared to pay the piper. Your parents should've taught you that long ago. Don't blame the meter maid... their job is to be the piper and as long as people keep ignoring posted signs they have job security. Doesn't get any simpler.

COMMENT 373764 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 02:19 PM

I love seeing those tickets, makes me glad I sold my car when I moved to SB.

COMMENT 373776 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 03:08 PM

I got a ticket once and was happy to pay it as I was in the wrong. But! I don't want to pay medical/dental room and board for an employee that transferred funds into their personal account, on the job using goverment computers etc etc etc

COMMENT 373777 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 03:08 PM

What it is, is that my car is an old oldsmobile minivan that seen better days, and I was park at the very front of City Hall. We are working in a remodel of the new store, didnt pay attention a got a ticket.Is not that I leave the car for 19days thats the only car I have.

COMMENT 373778P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 03:15 PM

776 - what are you talking about? Have Metermaids been embezzling money?

COMMENT 373783 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 03:22 PM

778P, plug in "Karen Flores" to edhat's search. SBPD business supervisor embezzled hundreds of thousands of dollars in parking ticket revenue.

COMMENT 373784 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 03:24 PM

I won't even touch the pathetic parking situation in this town. The irony about the new electronic GPS guided system that they are using is that it will quickly be voided due to the inaccurate nature of the system. GPS is ONLY ACCURATE TO 30 FEET. 30 FEET. This means that they can not be certain that the car was parked in the same spot, the next time they come by, due to this 30 foot accuracy. 30 feet in either direction means that the car could have been moved 60 feet and they would not be able to tell on their lousy system. Once some smarty contests this in court, it will all be thrown out and the system scrapped. Leave it to SB to find another way to rip us all off.

COMMENT 373792 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 03:46 PM

Many cities have parking meters that charge the driver from the second they park.

At least Santa Barbara has a 75 to 90 minute "grace period" of free parking.

Just watch those street cleaning signs however.

COMMENT 373809 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 04:25 PM

Thank you Comment 373784 for stating exactly what I was going to! This system of the GPS cameras is not 100% accurate and the tickets are very easy to fight because you can be parked in the same spot hours later after moving your car and the device cannot tell. They mostly use them now for unpaid registration and that is what they should stick to! I have already fought this stupid machine that the SBPD spent thousands of dollars on and won. Waste of taxpayers money!

COMMENT 373816 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 04:39 PM

784 I think you may be stuck in the last decade. Gps is MUCH more accurate than 30' nowadays, ESPECIALLY in systems like this one.

COMMENT 373828 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 04:51 PM

How about those who work in the trades and occasionally have to work downtown, making many trips throughout the day hauling tools to the job site? What is our recourse, other than moving our work trucks 7 times (75 minute zones) throughout the day? Tradesmen don't make a ton of money and it's impractical to park in a structure all day when they are not close enough to job sites.

COMMENT 373835 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 05:02 PM

Paint gets "sun beat" whether its parked or driven.

GPS is more a curate than 30'.

Once parked in a limited time zone in SB, you must move to another block before expiration of the time limit to be in compliance with the restriction. You can move across the street if its to the next block and be ok, but not simply to the other side of the road or up/down the street within the same block. If you have any question about how it works, just speak to a "metermaid" or call parking enforcement. It's pretty simple, really.

I thought there were two camera carts, but maybe it's just one. In any case, you can no longer know if you're "safe" by looking for chalk, as you could easily be tagged by a camera and not know it.

What I really hate is the street sweeper restrictions that are enforced when the street is often not even swept.

I understand that City of SB gains more municipal revenue (per capita) via parking envforcement than any other US city.

COMMENT 373886P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 08:53 PM

With iphones and iPods and other devices, we can all set a timer and make sure we don't over park. So simple.

COMMENT 373905 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 06:09 AM

The City should use some of this revenue to clean up the mess of transients around parking lot 10. Too dangerous to park or walk thru there with all the squatters on meth. The cops don't even patrol through there unless they are called - causes too much paperwork for them I guess.

COMMENT 373911 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 06:47 AM

We are spoiled with the free parking in SB! Can you imagine the moaning on Edhat if the City decided to install parking meters and charge for every minute of parking?

COMMENT 373915 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 07:17 AM

I broke the law. Now since I am in SB, and on edhat, I get this sense of entitlement. I am innocent as some posters have noted on other threads, until proven guilty. Not that I will accept that I actually did park illegally, but if I can game the system I will. That is what makes SB such a great community. We can all bitch about how miserable we are, publicly.

COMMENT 373919 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 07:22 AM

I guess if you have moved your car and returned to the same spot, the court would accept evidence in the form of a receipt or other data (GPS phone record?) to show that you had moved. I wonder what the City would say about someone getting a ticket when they had moved their car but returned to the same spot?

COMMENT 373934P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 08:07 AM

What is overlooked here is the parking situation for persons who WORK downtown. The city has no regard nor consideration for them to have parking, relishes giving them parking tickets and is ever taking away more of the street parking they are forced to use. If you work downtown and live in the city, remember that the next time you talk to a city coucil candidate and vote.

COMMENT 373938 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 08:21 AM

934P - if you work downtown you should live in one of the new "city lifestyle" condos that cost $1.2m. You also take the bus or ride your bike. You dont drive silly.

Oh, yeah, that's the fantasy world that our city council lives in... not reality. reality is that you live where ever you can afford and you drive your car to work like every other person.

If SB put in parking meters all the chain stores would have to move... and who would pay the over market rents when they leave and take their min wage jobs with them?

COMMENT 373946 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 08:35 AM

Using carts with cameras! That's awful. I was downtown a couple of months ago and parked on Carrillo between State and Chapala. I got held up in line at a store (NOT Saks) and ran to check my tires, OK, Paid my bill and out the door and the meter lady was just coming up the street. I like to think she was stuck in traffic as was parked there about 30 mins.

COMMENT 373949 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 08:41 AM

I agree with STRAY. We are lucky to live in a city where we can park for 75 to 90 minutes without having to pay.

RHS agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 08:55 AM

We are lucky to live in a city where we can park on public streets for an hour or so and not have to pay" Odd form of luck. The city makes a huge profit from parking ticket enforcement--millions of dollars a year beyond the cost of the program. The agents who write the ticket seem to enjoy the competition--makes one wonder if they are like sales people who get bonus for the most sales in a week. Recently in my neighborhood the city put up temp no parking signs to do some sort of street work and I saw two parking enforcement vehicles closing on the street within 5 minutes of the start of the no parking time--obviously in a rush to catch a person who was late in moving their car--even though no actual construction was underway. The anger this generates is based on the gamesmanship of the adventure and how the enforcement seems so slightly related to the need.

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 09:09 AM

I detest parking meters, so glad we only have to read signs. My husband kept a kitchen timer in his office and moved the car when the bell rang. I've read that getting up from your desk and walking around is better for you physically, and reduces stress. Moving the car is healthy!

COMMENT 373966 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 09:36 AM

Just be grateful you don't live in LA. When I lived there for a several years I was a bartender and did not get home until about 3am every night and everyone was already home so I would literally have to park a half mile away sometimes.

Then there would be 7am street sweeping so I'd have to wake up 4 hours later to go move my car and battle everyone else parked on that side of the street for another spot.

On top of all that the signs had up to 4 different stipulations: Street sweeping 7am-12pm / Permit C required from 6pm-2am on weekdays / Rush hour - no parking from 4pm-7pm etc.

Coming back home to SB made me realize what a luxury free parking is if even for 75 minutes. So, trust me, it could be a lot worse.

I personally appreciate the meter maids who ticket the RV's who love to camp out in front of our house on the Mesa for days on end.

COMMENT 373980 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 10:25 AM

744, It's called welfare.

HOOSIER NOT agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 10:47 AM

Oh my gosh!!!! Parking fines are totally within your control. If you don't want to get a ticket, follow the posted signs!!!! And yes, it's too bad it costs but it does so get over it, park legally and move on!!!

RESIDENT agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 10:52 AM

Another thing that the parking meter officers check for is license plates.

Many new cars, especially european ones, aren't really designed for a front license plate so many people don't have a front plate.

But it's required by CA and the meter maids ticket for those infractions too.

COMMENT 373999P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 11:09 AM

I've yet to get a parking ticket on my bike or electric scooter. The few that I've gotten with my car have been my fault, so I take responsibility.

COMMENT 374001 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 11:20 AM

934: there is a commuter lot at Cota and Santa Barbara streets (where Saturday farmers market is held) for those who work downtown. Monthly permits are sold for a reasonable rate, and often employers pay for them. It has plenty of vacant spaces daily.

Just don't leave your car overnight on Fridays or you'll be towed (illegally I might add).

COMMENT 374011 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 11:56 AM

I have a friend who is a Korean war veteran. He received a ticket on Memorial day while he was marching in the parade. Memorial day!!!! A federal holiday, for honoring those who died for our freedom and the SB Police and city ticket cars...

That's not only disgusting its an insult to every single veteran and American. Since then, I have NO RESPECT for the parking enforcement team, none...

+ I once received a ticket while parked in front of a friends house in Samarkand. Apparently there is no legal requirement to have street signs located near the street being enforced. Nope, all they need is a single sign near the entrance to the area...

COMMENT 374014 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 12:02 PM

Yeah, god forbid they do their jobs and enforce the law. What terrible human beings, you shouldn't have any respect for them based on that virtue alone.

COMMENT 374057 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 01:27 PM

919, this is 834 again. You are mistaken about leaving and returning being "ok". As I said, you must leave the block (or lot, in the case of time restricted waterfront lots) for an entire "time cycle". That is, if it's a 90 minute spot, you can't return to the same block or lot for 90 minutes, a 75 minute spot, you can't return for 75 minutes, a 15 minute spot...etc., etc.

COMMENT 375074 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-16 12:56 PM

We have street sweeping AND bikes lanes on our block. And until recently , there was also an 'unloading only' zone on the block during school hours. Recently they reviewed the bikes lanes. Result: NO kids from La Cumbre used the lanes during the week it was monitored. Not one. You guessed it, the bike lanes are still there, for the phantom bike riders to use, and the city is happily issuing parking tickets to any poor resident who accidentally forgets to move their car from in front of their house in time. It's all about the money. There is no need for the bike lanes what-so- ever.

23% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.