Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 81.1°F | Humidity: 49% | Pressure: 30.00in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: East | Wind Speed: 0.7mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15817 Subscribers
      685 Paid (4.3%)
     64 Commenters
     41192 Page Views

Boxtales 20 Year Anniversary Festival
Boxtales 20 Year Anniversary Festival

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Good Samaritan
updated: Feb 11, 2013, 5:33 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

I wanted to share my experience with a good Samaritan and possibly reach out to identify and thank him... On Wednesday morning around 9am I was skateboarding down Hope Ave on my way to work, and I had a very bad fall. Nearly unconscious after hitting my head hard on the pavement, I was struggling to scoot myself out of the road. A man I've never met in a white car must have seen what happened because he stopped and asked me if I was OK. Answering "I don't know," he must have taken that as a "no" because he insisted on giving me a ride either home or to the urgent care center. He grabbed my skateboard for me and helped me up. I could not see straight or feel my hands and my hearing sounded like I was underwater, and I could not keep my balance. My peripheral vision was blacked out, and there was the loudest ringing you could imagine in my head. I was so disoriented I did not know what to do, so I had him drive me just a couple blocks to my girlfriend's house up the street. He made sure to ask me several times if there was anyone home, pointing out that I should not be alone. In my daze, I never asked his name or anything... I'm not even sure if I thanked him properly. I don't remember what he looked like or what kind of car he drove besides the fact that it was white. My girlfriend drove me to Sansum Urgent Care where I got a CT scan, and I was immediately sent to the ER at Cottage Hospital where I spent the next 3 days in SICU with bleeding and swelling in my brain. After one additional day in a regular hospital room to ween me off all the drugs they had me on, I was released and am expected to make a full recovery - no brain damage and no cracked skull - lucky me (I'm pretty sure every single employee at Cottage Hospital gave me the helmet lecture, not to mention my girlfriend, boss, family members and even other patients.) Honestly, I would not have been able to walk the three blocks to my girlfriend's house myself and don't know what would have happened to me if this guy didn't stop to help me... I find it likely I would have collapsed in some comfy looking bushes and blacked out. Cottage Hospital took amazing care of me, and my wonderful girlfriend stayed by my side the whole time. I've gotten to thank everyone who very likely helped save my life with the exception of the good Samaritan in the white car. Thanks dude, your 5 minutes of selflessness went a lot further than you might have realized. If you're an edhat reader, get in touch so I can thank you properly... I could have died that day.

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 373417 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 05:45 PM

That's awesome. I'm really glad you went to the ER and on your way to recovery.

COMMENT 373418 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 05:48 PM

Glad you're fine now, I hope you find your rescue person. Count your blessings and please be careful, you've leaned how fragile we can be. Take care

COMMENT 373425 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 05:58 PM

Great story with a happy outcome. I'm so glad you got the love and care you obviously deserve and I too hope you find your "angel" to thank him in person. I'll spare you the helmet lecture...Thanks for sharing your uplifting story.

COMMENT 373430 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 06:04 PM

SO glad you're okay. And yes, if you had crashed in the bushes and gone to sleep you probably would have died.

I hope whomever stopped for you sees this and knows that you made it through okay.

And if not, I'm certain you will pass this good deed on many times over for having been saved by this guy. Thanks for sharing your story.

SHOREBIRD agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 06:05 PM

I won't spare a lecture. Get a helmet. ok?

COMMENT 373439 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 06:11 PM

So OP, question, are you going to get a helmet now??

COMMENT 373444 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 06:23 PM

So glad you are OK! These are the kinds of stories that really make Edhat special. I feel that you are part of the community of good people we have here in town - I hope your Good Samaritan reads about your recovery.

COMMENT 373451 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 06:38 PM

Get well soon, and thanks for sharing your story! I hope the good samaritan hears about this from Edhat friends and finds you. :)

COMMENT 373454P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 06:42 PM

Thanks for posting! grew up a few blocks off Hope, I can't imagine not stopping for something like that. Thank you to the person who stopped and cared!

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 06:52 PM

Sounds like an angel to me...Glad your OK I think I heard that call but don't do all medical emergencies.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 07:05 PM

I'm so glad you're OK now. You can consider this another lecture on wearing a helmet. You were SO lucky - not only because of the man who helped you but because you didn't have worse brain damage. Hope it's a lesson learned.

COMMENT 373473 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 07:20 PM

I think this person was saying they got the message already about the helmet. Hence, the comments in their actual post here.

I think they got the message and are glad to be alive. Enough with the know it all lectures. They already learned their lesson!

COMMENT 373474 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 07:20 PM

I'm so glad you are ok and you're awesome to try reaching out to this helpful stranger.

COMMENT 373476P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 07:25 PM

A nice, positive posting of thanks. Edhat is a good community sounding board; I'm grateful. You've also shown very good manners skateboarder in trying to reach out in appreciation.

COMMENT 373484 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 07:40 PM

Great story... thanks for sharing it. However I believe your Samaritan didn't stop to help you for any kind of recognition. It was the right thing to do. Praise and thanks are cheap... taking heart from it and passing it on - that's the larger lesson. Seriously, I hope your helper remains anonymous and is compensated for his deed with the knowledge that you will do unto others as this has been done unto you.

On the other hand your lass really deserves a lot of appreciation and benefits in the coming weeks and months. She is the one who took care of you and took action for you. Best wishes to you both.

COMMENT 373485 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 07:46 PM

This story makes my day, and I have tears running down my face. I am so glsd you are okay. We all learned a lesson! There is so much good in this town. Take care of yourself, and that awesome girlfriend!

COMMENT 373489 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 07:53 PM

To the OP - the fact that you took the time to write this nice story and thank your rescuer, shows that not only is he a hero, but that YOU are a very good person as well.

May the good fortune you experienced inspire you to have a wonderful and meaningful rest of your life.

COMMENT 373490P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 07:55 PM

Awesome...just awesome.

COMMENT 373501P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 08:37 PM

well done -

COMMENT 373525P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 09:35 PM

I live on N. Hope and would be interested in knowing where you were to help pinpoint your angel. What he did was truly a good Samaritan action, but I also work in the health care field, and would like to remind people who witness something like this to call for an ambulance. It is better to be safe than sorry, especially when you weren't wearing a helmet (sorry). To all those would be hero's out there, please keep up the good work! You make the world a better place! Is there any way to post again and let you know if you've found him?

COMMENT 373544P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 12:13 AM

Post this thanks in the "notice" part or "wanted" part of Craigslist. This guy has probably told someone of his rescue of you. A lot more people look at Clist than Edhat.

COMMENT 373565 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 06:56 AM

I grew up skateboarding down Hope ave. The San Roque neighborhood is filled with a lot of great people and I am glad you are ok.

COMMENT 373566 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 06:57 AM

My friend was a pro skater. Same thing happened to him, but his head never stopped swelling and he is no longer with us :(
Just wanted to make sure you got the helmet message ;)

Glad you are okay and nice to know there are still good samaritans out there, I hope you find him to thank him.

COMMENT 373568 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 06:59 AM

Good for you! Thanks for sharing your story and reminding us all that we are really all in this together, and we should be looking out for each other. Great to know there are good people everywhere- and great to know that there are still lots of us who know how to say THANK YOU!

SENIOR SALLY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 07:01 AM

You were certainly helped by your Guardian Angel.

On the other hand, this is your golden opportunity to Pay it Forward. Do something for a stranger, help out where you see need.

You were truly blessed.

UPONTHEHILL agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 07:58 AM

I am so happy to hear that you are well. I love that you want to thank your angel. Be very happy. You have received a gift.

COMMENT 373595 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 07:58 AM

I am thrilled to hear of your angel in a time of great need.

But I also must point out that the best thing to do for an injury like this is to call 911 immediately and report that there is a head trauma injury and that the injured party is not fully responsive. The extra five to ten minutes spent driving to the girlfriend's place, getting into the girfriends car, going to urgent care that could do little to treat a brain trauma, and finally going to the ER as opposed to a direct trip to ER in an ambulance staffed by medics who could do the initial diagnosis on the road could have meant the difference between a full recovery and permanent paralysis.

Never screw around or be indecisive with potential brain trauma. If the victim cannot immediately describe lucidly and in detail why their brain is fine, don't wait another few seconds - call 911.

COMMENT 373598P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 08:04 AM

You are very fortunate and maybe your good samaritan should be acknowledged. On the other hand, truthfully, what the good samaritan really should have done was call 911 and wait with you until a trained EMT arrived at the scene. So, sorry and I really don't mean to rain on the goodwill out there, but the good samaritan actually put you in harm's way.

COMMENT 373607P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 08:17 AM

Actually, DON'T get a helmet. Please give up skateboarding for good. Even a helmet won't protect your brain, which is now hypersensitive to the trauma. Please ask your doctor about the latest research on traumatic brain injury (TBI).

Your brain is especially vulnerable for the next 3-4 months, but truthfully, the next time you fall, unless you're wearing a helmet that is 5x the size of your head, and filled with high tech shock absorbent material, your brain will get rocked again and instead of those scary feelings wearing off, you could be stuck in a version of that nightmare for good.

Follow what the docs tell you. No texting, video games, tv etc for weeks even if you're bored. Wishing you luck and put that skateboard up for sale.

COMMENT 373626P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 09:00 AM

Glad you are okay. I agree with the "pay it forward" comment. Perhaps sharing your story with young, impressionable skateboarders who believe they are invincible and immune to injury would be an avenue to explore. Do be careful and talk to your doctor about the potential effects of repetitive brain injury. Not to seem dramatic, but a second injury, even if less traumatic than the first, carries the potential of severe injury or death. You are here for a reason, so be kind to yourself. And don't travel faster than your guardian angel can fly, as they say.

COMMENT 373670 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 10:35 AM

My brother was in a motorcycle accident (dumped it at freeway speeds) & had a brain injury sounding similar to yours. What 607 says is true, a small fall & bump to your brain, especially in the next few months/year, could do major damage. But I don't expect you to suddenly stop doing something you love unless it's YOUR choice (I wouldn't). That said, and I know a million people already said it, be careful, wear a helmet, listen to your docs, and don't skate or put yourself at any unnecessary risk for whatever time period they give you. So glad you're ok. Thanks to your guardian angel, where ever & whoever he is. And to your girlfriend. PAY IT FORWARD!

COMMENT 373789 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 03:42 PM

What an uplifting story - there is hope for this world!! I totally agree with PAY IT FORWARD!

COMMENT 373838 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 05:11 PM

What an uplifting story, despite your terrible fall. I would suggest you reach out to Keyt with your story (tipline 882-3930.) It sounds like your guardian angel wants to remain annoymous. Airing your story will most likey reach him, & remind us all to stop & do the right thing. Glad you are going to make a full recovery.

CORKY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-14 04:30 PM

Lucky person, but if I had seen an accident as you described, and the person was disoriented I think I would have called 911 for paramedics.

COMMENT 375778 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-18 01:42 PM

You sure are a lucky guy! People like the man who helped you are few and far between, take care of yourself!!! :D

43% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.