Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 56.1°F | Humidity: 93% | Pressure: 30.02in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 0.7mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15898 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Lock up Your Stuff
updated: Feb 11, 2013, 8:11 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

There seems to be a thief in the area around Sola and Garden Streets. First it was my sons fishing pole then it was my bag of nasty smelling hockey equipment that got stolen last night. Maybe it was that luxurious rolling bag they were after? Anyway, lock up your stuff at night and if you see someone casing cars, call the POLICE!

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 08:48 PM

This is something thats going on all over town. Not everyone works regular jobs and collects paychecks..There are oppturnists out there 24/7 Anytime anywhere looking to rip everyone off..I-phones get taken all the time..One I-Phone was traced to A retirement joint on DLV either a res or employee took it..Oppturnists can be anyone..Thank You for sharing your story..

COMMENT 373519P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 09:09 PM

Where the stolen things in a car? If so, was the car on the street or in a driveway? Just wondering the level of this activity.

COMMENT 373531 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 09:39 PM

Yikes this is my neighborhood!! Be on the lookout, people!

COMMENT 373533P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 09:46 PM

519P here.......thanks for not pointing out the "h" in were! I hate missing stupid mistakes.

COMMENT 373542P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 12:04 AM

Always good to have alerts like this one. My boyfriend is a real idjit about leaving his high-end bikes outside. One of these days . . .

Years ago, another one of my boyfriends had installed a REALLY nice stereo in my ratty car. He was working on my car, blasting the stereo. I went up to him and asked why he was advertising this nice addition to my car. That Blaupunkt had been in my car for about a year.

Sure enough, some attentive thief made off with my lovely car stereo----two nights later!

COMMENT 373561P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 06:43 AM

That's my neighborhood TOO!!!! Any chance of getting foot patrol or segue patrol in the neighborhood?

COMMENT 373579 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 07:28 AM

519, you are so correct. Brandon school area too in Goleta the past 15 months. My video system caught the guy the second time he visited, but my car was locked and it only recorded him walking away from my car door at 3:30 am, his favorite shopping time. He lives on Hillview with girlfriend and little white dog. the first video was two people, views on video from the waist down only, assume the second person was his girlfriend. Not enough evidence to prosecute the police said.

On a dog happy note, one home burglary victim about a year ago, came home to find lots of blood in his house and a happy German Sheppard who surprised the world-be burglar.

COMMENT 373641 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 09:27 AM

My neighbor has two rescued german shepherds and used to leave them in her house with her garage unlocked. The thieves opened the garage door and then broke the world record for the 100-yd dash as the dogs chased them down the street. Sometimes street justice is the best justice.

COMMENT 373644 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 09:32 AM

579: That's awesome! (The happy German Shepard, I mean.)
Same thing going on around Oak Park. Had someone open my unlocked car & go through my stuff. Never took anything because I didn't have anything in my car, but I lucked out that my battery wasn't dead because the door was left ajar all night. He walked down a driveway & behind a house to get to my stuff. Other people on the same block had their cars gone through. And someone was in my garage a month or so ago (door was left open because I was doing laundry - it was dark, but still early - between 6 & 7 I think). Opportunists suck! Good neighbors, OTOH are awesome.

COMMENT 373655 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 10:00 AM

Really creepy, there is so much crime happening around here and most people are in the dark.

COMMENT 373675 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 10:46 AM

Well there is always something going on in those parks at night. Would be nice if the cops ran a few more patrols in the hood. I mean, why would someone be rolling a hockey bag down the sidewalk at 3:30am in SB? Or cruising the streets with fishing poles? I just hope who ever opened my bag got a big giant hit of smelly hockey gear. Hopefully I will ever run into the person wearing one of my jerseys.

COMMENT 373729 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 12:52 PM

675: Call the cops ask ask. We started noticing them patrolling our hood (Oak Park) more after the recent stuff going on nearby. I assume some people called & they started patrolling. Also, I doubt they are casually strolling down streets after stealing stuff - either they hightail it home, have someone pick them up, or they parked nearby & just go back to their car when they find something.
Totally sucks you lost your hockey gear. Hope the pad stank made them pass out. ;)

COMMENT 373753 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 01:30 PM

561P: You mean "segway" - segway is the vehicle, segue is the word

COMMENT 373888P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 08:59 PM

Dogs are a great deterrent. I used to have a cat that would alert me to people/noises outside. It's always nice to have that companion animal with the sharper hearing.

COMMENT 374009 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-13 11:53 AM

I wish I could get one of those exploding purple dye hockey jocks and put it in a bait bag! Then do the Jim Rockford stake out!

40% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.