Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 76.1°F | Humidity: 63% | Pressure: 29.94in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: NE | Wind Speed: 6.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter

Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Motorcyclist Down
updated: Feb 11, 2013, 8:16 AM

Reported by Roger the Scanner Guy

Motorcyclist Down on Highway 101 south bound in the center divider between Padero and Evans.

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 08:17 AM

Fire, Medics, CHP Responding..

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 08:19 AM

Per CHP a blue vehicle was involved biker sitting up in center divider..Northbound side South of Padero.

COMMENT 373089 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 08:34 AM

It's kinda hard to keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down when ya got cagers comin' at ya.

COMMENT 373105 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 08:56 AM

or when your splitting lanes at a high rate of speed.

COMMENT 373123 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 09:08 AM

As a motorcyclist who splits lanes responsibly, it troubles me to hear about all of the bikers that are involved in accidents between Santa Barbara and Ventura. I don't hold either party responsible, but I have noticed that there are still a lot of car drivers that change lanes without looking twice. And recently i have noticed more people on their cell phones too. You're not fooling anyone by holding the phone in front of your mouth instead of to your ear (that's still against the law) and probably more dangerous.

COMMENT 373124 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 09:08 AM

Lane splitting is LEGAL in CA...

COMMENT 373153 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 09:38 AM

124: Yes, but it's one of those fine-line things. Do it too quickly, and you'll be pulled over for dangerous driving. I always heard lane splitting was legal in traffic, under 20mph, but I fully admit that was just what I was told when I moved here, and never saw it written anywhere. Any clue if it's actually mentioned specifically anywhere in the code?

COMMENT 373168 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 09:53 AM

If you go on CA CHP website and type in lane splitting in the search it will give you the CA law on it.

COMMENT 373214 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 10:58 AM

I would expect it to be safe only in a traffic jam.

COMMENT 373239 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 11:48 AM

124 + 168. Yes it's legal, but not at high rate of speed.

COMMENT 373263 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 12:10 PM

239 - Because there is no law specifically prohibiting splitting, the CHP regards it as "legal."

The guidelines say it should not be done when traffic is flowing at 30mph or more. Should be used mostly during traffic jams where most vehicles are stopped or crawling.

So, I guess motorcyclists should pass in the same way as other motorists at freeway speeds, no?

More than once I have come within a hair's breadth of accidentally sending a foolish, speeding lane-splitter to the morgue. If you're going to ride like a jerk, at least be careful!

COMMENT 373311 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 02:11 PM

Plus the motorcycle speed is not supposed to be faster than 10 mph over the car speed. So about 40 mph max. Of course it is difficult for cops to patrol or catch violators so they will continue to do this unsafely. In fact, rarely have I seen this being done according to the rules that are out there.

One thing I wonder is that with people using wide Harley type bikes to lane split, how often to they scrape cars on the way by? Plus it is difficult to see their plates so it would be impossible to make them pay for the repair. Does anyone know if it is legal to have a camera rolling to catch this kind of footage? Is that okay as long as you are filming in a public place where there is no expectation of privacy?

COMMENT 373339 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 03:21 PM

311 - Yes, you can have a camera rolling.

COMMENT 373347P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 03:32 PM

311 - do you mean to have a camera rolling constantly in your car? Why would you even want to do that? To turn in video of traffic violations? ehhh....

COMMENT 373395 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 05:05 PM

347, I've always wanted a camera mounted on my car so that I could point and shoot. I miss so many photo ops speeding down the road.

COMMENT 373402 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 05:17 PM

311 - Look at a GoPro HD cam. It can be dash mounted (or even suctioned to the outside - great for capturing the speeding lane splitters) and set to record time-lapse frames.

After driving erase the card if nothing of interest captured and do it all again.

COMMENT 373642P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 09:29 AM

123, I really would like you to write about splitting lanes responsibly, since it always seems to me that there is no way for the motorcyclist to be responsible enough. There are too many variables, aren't there? - the slightest flinch onto your wheels from a car when the sudden motorcycle roar has startled the driver, or a car changes lanes just in front of you without signalling and you're going so fast, etc.

COMMENT 373795 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-12 03:55 PM

Lane-splitting is dangerous and idiotic. With all there is to pay attention to in front of my car, now I have to look out for jerks in my lane also? Blowing by my window, basically causing a momentary fright, is idiotic.

Let's get real - it's not about shaving some time off the ride. It's about making a 'statement' about how superior motorcycle riders are to 'cagers'. It's about owning the road. It's about 'me, myself and I', your only three friends. It's about a bad attitude that leads to injuries and death. It's about selfish narcissism.

The line riders are asking for it also. You know, wheels in their own lane, but everything else, head, shoulders, arm in my lane. Check out the roadside shrines on the road to Ojai- bikers bouncing off vans and cars in their superior attitude rush to the stop light where we meet again..

Cut the nonsense and stay in your own lane period. You'll live longer. Or you can lecture the 'cagers' from your hospital room.

22% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.