Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 73.1°F | Humidity: 99% | Pressure: 29.96in (Rising) | Conditions: Partly Cloudy | Wind Direction: ENE | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15682 Subscribers
      687 Paid (4.4%)
     53 Commenters
     39750 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Bike MS
Bike MS

Wine Tasting and Yacht Tours
Wine Tasting and Yacht Tours

Drama Dogs (Sept 26-Oct 5)
Drama Dogs (Sept 26-Oct 5)

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

The Old KTYD Crew
updated: Feb 10, 2013, 12:30 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

Is it just me or does anyone else miss Matt, Julie and Hayseed on 99.9 KTYD?

Here's a copy of the photo from 9/23/11, thanks to Matt at KTYD. "Santa Barbara salutes the NYC firefighters and police."[pic] (02/11/13)
626 3

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 372856 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 12:31 PM

Who dat?

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 12:31 PM

SNOT at all..

COMMENT 372860 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 12:34 PM

I worked with Hayseed before he worked at KTYD---right about the time he sat on top of Eyeglass Factory doing that Survivor bit! WOW that was so long ago!!

D8VANILLA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 12:43 PM

I gave Matt a lot of "bits" that he used. I really liked the "knucklehead" bit, where Matt would randomly call a business, usually outside California, and would ask to speak with the Knucklehead. Funniest response : Which one do you wanna talk to?

Every business has a knuckle-head or two!!!

I like Taylor Morgan as Matt's sidekick. She had a lot of funny stuff. Like, when she first started there, she was in the parking lot behind Long's drugstore and when she tried getting the attention of a driver that was leaving, the woman driver flipped Taylor off. Taylor was just trying to let the driver know that her purse was on the hood of her car. Well, the drivers purse slid off her car onto the ground and Taylor picked it up and took it back to the radio station. They started going thru the purse, while on-air, and let everyone know that there was a vibrator in there. That's when the purse owner called and threatened to sue them!!! Anyone else remember that story??? That was back in the late 1980's

COMMENT 372867 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 12:44 PM

They were fun to listen to during the morning drive to work. It's too bad they broke up, but it was clear for a long time that the SB market was too small for Matt's ambitions. Adios.

COMMENT 372868P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 12:48 PM

I miss them too as I enjoyed them in the morning as I drove home from work.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 12:53 PM

I miss seeing them in a W.C. Fields movie.

D8VANILLA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 12:55 PM

I worked an early shift and all the employees would have their headsets on, and listen all morning. They would come up with the craziest stuff. And, make Hayseed do crazy stuff. Like driving in the turn-a-bout at Milpas for hours. Or Hayseed lost some bet and he agreed the loser would have a tattoo put on their back of some kid-band. They didn't tell him that it was fake!!

COMMENT 372879P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 01:05 PM

I miss my tenant (who gets up with the chickens) coming home from work and laughing and laughing while he told me the latest Matt/Julie/Hayseed shenanigans. He loved that program and told me as soon as it went off the air.

COMMENT 372881 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 01:07 PM

In the 27 years I've lived here they remain my favorite radio morning team. I started listening around the time Hayseed was on the roof of the Eyeglass Factory.

Taylor Morgan was great, as was Jenna McCarthy, followed by Julie. Matt was behind the 9,000+ people that showed up to La Playa stadium to form a human American flag, in the weeks following 9/11. I still have the photo.

And the "Mike-on Marathons." Those were good times.

Hayseed was a huge supporter of the UCSB lady Gauchos.

COMMENT 372882 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 01:13 PM

I do miss the morning show where they would sometimes call and get interviews with anyone from old ladies who fought off alligators to random Motel 6's. Today's KTYD is nothing special and the question of the day bit has really run it's course.

COMMENT 372885 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 01:17 PM

It's the same with every aspect of Santa Barbara.. Anything that had personality is gone and in it's place is a generic half-a$$ed O.C. replica.

COMMENT 372887 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 01:22 PM

I was a big Mark & Brian morning fan until Matt came to KTYD and I listened faithfully every M-F on the way to work, even sat in the lot outside my office for a few extra minutes on a number of occasions listening to the end of a bit or hoping I'd be the next caller. I was Listener #102. I called in to tell Matt that I could taste the difference between the M&M colors and they brought me in to do it live on the air. They sent me home with $150 worth of gift certificates. They were great. I really miss the morning belly laughs going to work. They had such great bits and I think really did a lot to unify this community, bring people together. Even if it was to compete in the Battle of the Burbs or hold frozen turkeys or bring us closer to the odd little stories and people being amazing 3000 miles away or remind us why we don't live in Florida. Nowadays, I don't even turn on the radio.

COMMENT 372891 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 01:36 PM

I guess Roger didn't like them?

No better morning show locally in 40+ years of listening. I wish they were still here.

COMMENT 372899 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 01:51 PM

Matt yes, Hayseed no.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 02:19 PM

97.9 Chicago Loop fan here..

COMMENT 372913 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 02:27 PM

Da Loop! SB could use a dose of SkyBoy, Tom O'Toole, Brandmeier. Dahl? Well, maybe not......hehehe

COMMENT 372917P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 02:39 PM

Listened to them enough to know that Matt ran the KTYD Morning show with an almost iron fist. Julie and Hayseed were lost without him if they had to do the show in his absence. I was bummed when he left but not any more. I heard he went the way of Joe ( the Plumber). Not sure how accurate that info was but it seemed to fit Matt's personality.

COMMENT 372919 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 02:41 PM

Yep..miss the team. They had great gags, fun bits. Also had awesome community spirit!! Remember 9/11 and the human-built American flag they helped set up at SBCC? My family and I were among the thousands of proud participants that day; still have the framed picture on my wall. How about the Dodgeball tournament? My "Arms of Thunder" team made it to the final 8 and lost, but had one hell of a good time. Remember Matt's T-shirt world record? The list is long; no matter what you may think of the stuff they did it was anything but boring

Yes, miss the team. Haven't listened to the station much since; like I said, kinda boring. Know Matt went to Phoenix, Julie returned to Riverside (?not sure of city) to go to nursing school. Anybody know what happened to Hayseed? I liked the way he worked his tail off until finally getting a paying job at the station

COMMENT 372924P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 03:10 PM

I forgot about the tee shirt record. They were on Letterman with that.

917P, what do you mean by Joe the Plumber?

Roger, you sound like those people bashing Edhat photographers.

COMMENT 372925 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 03:12 PM

Battle Of the 'Burbs!!

COMMENT 372931P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 03:26 PM

924, really did not want to go into details but you asked, 'over the top republican shrill'

COMMENT 372932 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 03:33 PM

Yes, totally miss them! Lin is great but David is a cranky old man. They even have troubles handling the phones for the Stupid Question of the Day bit they do everyday.

The Morning Show with Matt and later Julie and Hayseed was a great, professional show, with an off-air "manager" who helped it all run smoothly. I played in their Xmas band one year and I learned about CASA from a mike-on marathon. Did good for the community in a true radio host sort of way. I will always stay true to KTYD as long as they have their current music format but the current morning show is just so lacking in comparison. I understand budget has a huge role to play, but it's still unfortunate and I will still mourn the loss.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 03:46 PM

Santa Barbara could use a Comensky ark.. disco album blow out! I like the Edhat Photographers don't put words in my mouth..I say what I like and not like..Thats like me saying 924P Sounds like a Milpas Underpants Sniffer!

COMMENT 372945 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 03:58 PM

Hey guys...Matt here in Santa Barbara this weekend hanging with my family. Kudos to White Trash Tom (owner of Absolut Cab) for tipping me off to this conversation. I can't tell you how flattering it is to be remembered for the radio we did at KTYD which came to an end 5 years ago. Even though I'm in Phoenix now doing essentially the same thing, I can't lie and tell you that it's even close to being as much fun we had doing The Early Show for 10 good years. I have come to realize that no matter what I do from this point on in my career, it will always be the highlight. Jenna is writing a ton of books and doing great, Taylor is doing stand-up somewhere, Hayseed still lives here and continues to coach, and Producer Joe works with me and probably will be for as long as I'm in radio. Thanks again for making my day with your nice feedback, it was such a pleasant surprise to see. -Matt PS. Hey Roger...your comments are welcome too. In China.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 04:05 PM

Funny when someone has a difference of opinion they get cut down Same old Matt I see..

COMMENT 372949 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 04:10 PM

I saw Steve and Garry at the Park West, along with Seka. I was listening to their show (WLS) when I heard a caller talk about his idiot neighbor and what an ugly, smelly, bad-tempered, gap-toothed so and so she was. Garry told the caller to give him her phone number off air. About three minutes later, I got a phone call from Steve and Garry while they were on the air. This did not improve the situation with me and the neighbor.

Another great entertainer as well as radio personality was Jonathan Brandmeier. I saw Johnny and The Leisure Suits I think at Poplar Creek.

I do miss the KTYD crew. My co-workers and I loved their program. All good things n'at, I guess.

COMMENT 372954P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 04:27 PM

Yeah, that was a great show. They left big shoes to fill, for sure.

I remember the T-shirt stunt was in the early days of Youtube, and for a brief time the video they posted of the t-shirt layers building up was in the top 100 most viewed Youtube videos:

COMMENT 372958 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 04:33 PM

I loved listening to Matt, Julie and the Seed. I do remember the "Purse" bit. I thought it was the Sears parking lot though.

I was in the first BOB (battle of the burbs). I came in second. I had a great time listening and participating in the show when I could.

Thanks for the memories!

COMMENT 372959 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 04:34 PM

Matt, thanks for checking in. When I'm in Phoenix I try to listen to you, but Country music?? Thank goodness Phoenix has the best Mexican food.

And to prove how small this world is, when I lived in Phoenix, 30 years ago the hot new morning DJ was Jonathan Brandmeier.

COMMENT 372962 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 05:02 PM

919 here. Shout out to Matt for the updates...all great news! The reason folks have fond memories of the Morning Show is simple; good karma. You guys gave us a good time and our city good help. That explains it for me. I still tear up at the thought of the 9/11 Flag Day. Joined CASA at the Dodgeball tournament (even though my "Arms of Thunder" became more like "Old farts in the wind by the end). Remember fondly many of the gags n bits (is Joe still wearing flip flops?).

So, thanks Matt.

COMMENT 372970 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 05:59 PM

Remember when Julie would say "peanuts"? Now that was funny.

COMMENT 372971 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 06:11 PM

Roger: when has this blog ever been a snark-free zone? Or devoid of contrary opinions? Many of yours have met with disagreement; that happens in a free society.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 06:23 PM

I know the soldiers fought for my freedom and I'm grateful.. I'd join myself if I wasn't nuts.

COMMENT 372976 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 06:26 PM

@Roger: I was at that "Disco Demolition Night" at Comisky Park back in '79, when I lived in the Chicago area. It cost .99 cents and disco record for admission. What a riot, literally!

COMMENT 372983P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 07:17 PM

They gave SB a sense of community that's been replaced by a void. Their humor lightened up the community and gave us a positive, human perspective on local issues as well as public oversight on controversial issues - they commented on and invited callers to comment on issues the local censored media won't touch. A great DJ who was homeless when hired
let us see homeless PEOPLE, instead of objects to count. A big piece of SB's heart was cut out when they left.
Proctor & Ward were awesome too - their Fiesta Parade coverage from the sidewalk in front of the Granada was one of SB's most outstanding annual events.

COMMENT 372985 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 07:27 PM

Miss you Matt. Come back home.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 08:06 PM

I wasn't there but I donated some albums..

COMMENT 372993 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 08:16 PM

I remember listening to KTYD every morning on the way to school. It was so good! Matt was the greatest and Hayseed always cracked me up. Probably the most memorable show for me was when the final Harry Potter book was about to come out. They called random bookstores around the country trying to see if they could get someone to read the last sentence of the book outloud. They were talking with one woman for a while, but she kept saying she wasn't allowed to read anything from it. So, Hayseed asked her if she could at least tell them what the last word of the book was. He asked if the last word was "dead". Too good. Thanks for the memories!

NATURE BOY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 10:02 PM

I'd be ok with never hearing an Underpants "joke" again. Not really funny, especially after a hundred mentions.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 06:40 AM

You know it's not about hearing about the UNDERPANTS..It's reading the word UNDERPANTS If you hear voices about UNDERPANTS, while reading the word UNDERPANTS then there's something wrong and it aien't the UNDERPANTS.

COMMENT 373056 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 07:34 AM

Yaaaawwwwwn. Matt Julie and doofus? Talk about a waste of bandwidth. Wake me when there's something worth listening to, y'know, something clever like Mark and Brian.

JMAC agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 07:59 AM

"The Early" was definitely a bright spot in my morning back in the day...I miss Matt, Julie & Hayseed and had a lot of life-changing events surrounding their show (not the least of which was winning one of their major contests and getting enough gift-certificates to do most of my Christmas shopping for free one year). NOBODY could come close to Proctor & Ward though - more than once they made coffee shoot out my nose... and I still miss them!

COMMENT 373066 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 08:00 AM

Of course there was "Hayseed", but I recall "Mud Flap" and they called one intern "Pancake", I believe.

Loved the nicknames they used on KTYD. As you can see, their names are still rumbling about my head many years later.

COMMENT 373068P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 08:03 AM

Nope don't miss them because Lin and David are an awesome team. Classic rockers both in the right place at the right time for me.

COMMENT 373070 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 08:07 AM

I certainly miss Matt. All those that came and went along side him were great too because Matt made them great. I still remember Matt's first week, talking about leaving early in the morning for work and it was still dark outside...and because of all the spiders at the place he was living at, he had to do a "tomahawk chop" all the way down the path to the street.

He was brilliant with his show prep, sound effects, and gimmics to get the listners involved. Very sharp.. I enjoyed when helper boy Mike (Dawson) was on the show too.

Here's a blast from the past...how about "Steve Downs, and John Palminteri" as the morning show? They were awesome. Then Steve left to take a job with the famous "Loop" station back east.

I'll tell you one thing...the morning show has stunk to high heaven since Matt left. I don't even listen to KTYD anymore. They would be better off dumping the morning show all together, and just play music. Or sign up to sydicate the Bob and Tom Show.

MESAJIM agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 08:17 AM

I miss them, too. I stuck with KTYD for a while after they left, but I began to notice a horrible pattern regarding their stunted playlist--so much so that my housemate & I started a game based on it. We'd place bets on whether or not they would play one, two, or all three of the following artists between 8-9AM: Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, The Beatles. I mean, seriously--there ARE other artists out there from the "Classic Era"!

Needless to say I stopped listening to them years ago as well. Sad, really. I was a dedicated fan for over thirty years. Their programming director needs to do...something.

COMMENT 373091 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 08:35 AM

People still listen to KTYD? They play the same 15 songs day after day from the same 15 artists and that David guy might have the most boring voice / tone in the history of radio... he puts people to sleep and he's not funny or interesting... Does he own the place? How on earth can a guy who sounds like a hypnotist be on the radio?

106.3 is much better for music. Much much much better.

COMMENT 373156P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 09:40 AM

091 - dead right about that! 106.3 blows KTYD away!

CORKY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 09:50 AM

I used to listen to them every morning when I was getting ready to teach and still miss them now, even though I'm retired.

COMMENT 373198 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 10:32 AM

Hey Matt,
I'm probably the only KC Chiefs fan left in SB since you left. Next year HAS to be better :) Couldn't be much worse. GO CHIEFS!

Wish you were still here in SB!

COMMENT 373207 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 10:40 AM

Come back Matt! Santa Barbara morning radio is so completely terrible. And with no more Mark & Brian, there really is nothing. You can diss that morning show, but obvi there are a lot more people that miss it and Matt did SO much for our community. Matt and Seed would be a great show - bring him back! It's so worth KTYD, I can't believe anyone listens to the show now. Seed is now all grown up and would do well as a co-host. Matt's girls still live here, I bet you could get him back! Do it! Someone send this thread to the KTYD management!

COMMENT 373233 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 11:35 AM

What about Hudson and Landry in Los Angeles 1970's...Now those guys were funny!

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 11:55 AM

This is really a funny thread...lol

COMMENT 373248 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-11 11:55 AM

How did Matt remove all those T-Shirts? 100lbs of extra weight? Dude! I'd have a panic attack!

COMMENT 380110 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-03-01 08:31 AM

I miss the show, but not that annoying caller "Dead squirrel Dave". What an idiot. Obviously he had self esteem problems. Got his name by running over a squirrel? What a loser.

43% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 4 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.

Comments on this thread are only open to Community Members.

# # # #