Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 64.4°F | Humidity: 78% | Pressure: 30.00in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: West | Wind Speed: 3.1mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15898 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

North Patterson Pops
updated: Feb 09, 2013, 6:20 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

Just heard a series of gunshots (4 shotgun blasts and what sounded like 2 10 round handgun mags) in the north Patterson/Cambridge area anybody else hear these?

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 07:10 PM

No I live on the lower East side of Santa Barbara but last night when I was in bed and falling out...I heard 2 loud shots sounded like they were comming from Circle K Across the street from me..Then I heard yelling and running and another shot behind our proptery. I totally forgot about it until today when a neighbor told me he too had heard it..I remember that it really scared me..

COMMENT 372711 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 07:14 PM

Did you call the police? A police officer at a recent training I went to told us if we think we heard shots fired, then assume they were shots and call 911. They said they would rather come to 100 calls where it's not gunshots than be called once on a gunshot wound or worse.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 07:22 PM

I was falling off to sleep....Nope didn't call.My last thought was they would probley say it was fireworks..

YIN YANG agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 07:27 PM

Watch out Roger, you'll get citized for not calling like i did. good old edhat.

YIN YANG agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 07:28 PM

I mean criticized.

COMMENT 372721 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 07:28 PM

I hope you called the police after hearing that many shots... especially if they sounded close.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 07:40 PM

I don't care if I get critized it don't bother me in the least..Last week someone was trying my door I didn't call the police then either..

COMMENT 372734 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 08:03 PM

Called sheriff

COMMENT 372744P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 08:28 PM

Hey, that's very near my neighborhood. I was out since ~4:00 pm, just got back. I hope the cops did something about this.

COMMENT 372745 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 08:33 PM

i didnt call them, i lost what little trust i had for LEO after those women cars were filled with 30+ rounds of "warning shots" in LA the other day..

COMMENT 372746 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 08:41 PM

2711 here... I was asking if the OP called the police, not Roger. I used to live in that neighborhood. Lots of nice people and houses and a few run down scary places, too.

COMMENT 372750 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 08:51 PM

Most people cant distinguish between a gun shot or fireworks. Anybody with experience with both would agree.With that being said, its probably time we started talking about sensible firecracker control.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 08:56 PM

Will I have lit firecrackers before and I have shot a gun I know the difference..But just about everytime shots are called in they say it's fireworks...

COMMENT 372768P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 04:31 AM

Hi Roger,
I record the scanner 24/7 on my computer - if you can tell me the time you heard the shots I will listen 30 minutes before&after and tell you if I hear anything interesting.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 05:59 AM

I waited to hear and heard nothing I figured if they hit someone we'd smell em in a day or two..Besides this is the East Side there are shots here alot and thats why we have a donut shop. The police smell the donuts and cruise down here.. OK 68p...They sure woke me up this morning People running on the freeway..

COMMENT 372780 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 06:47 AM

Wait one minute. There are laws against fireworks and they are everywhere? Of course it would be different if guns were illegal; they would all vanish instantly, forever.

COMMENT 372790 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 07:29 AM

@750 I am the OP and how do you figure if i couldn't tell the difference between fireworks i could tell the difference between 4 shotgun blasts and 2 handgun (probably 9mm) clips being dumped? i know very well what i heard, ive been around guns my whole life. and again i didnt call 911 because i lost what tiny trust i had in them after the ordeal in LA the other day...

DLB0758 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 10:05 AM

@OP. so just so I am clear....two cops in LA make a really bad decision so you distrust the other 90,000 cops in California?? Wow.

COMMENT 372826P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 10:40 AM

Roger-ok I guess you are saying you were listening before/after since you didn't mention what time.
OP, I'll do this for you later today when I have time. I'm assuming you heard it at around 6:20 PM yesterday?

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 10:49 AM

I really don't know what time it twas I was in bed..

COMMENT 372848 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 12:06 PM

Shots or explosions were between 6:10 and 6:20 pm

COMMENT 372853 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 12:26 PM

I was taught by SB police that the majority of people do NOT know the difference between shots fired and any number of similar sounds so it's best to err on the SAFE side and CALL 911. Even if it's "only fireworks", someone is still breaking the law and endangering people. The OP is someone who knows the sound of gunshots with such confidence s/he is identifying the caliber but chooses NOT to call due to his/her own agenda. I'm glad I don't have you for a neighbor because that seems pretty selfish to me. If you know gunshots were fired but you have no intention of contributing your knowledge to the safety of your community, why are you posting here? Personally, I'd keep that kind of attitude to myself.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 12:51 PM

Maybe they should open up more donut shops down here.

COMMENT 372877 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 01:01 PM

I work at a school and with all the shootings recently, it's pretty scary to think that someone might see or hear something that might save lives but they don't speak up, for whatever reason. Maybe we're too desensitized to the kind of violence we seem to have to live with. People can get so insulated behind their doors and computer screens that we forget to look out for one another. What ever happened to the "Neighborhood Watch" idea?

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 02:21 PM

If I heard shots at a school I'd call..

COMMENT 372928 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 03:21 PM

Yes i heard the shots right around 6:15-6:20. Boo hoo to those of you who think im selfish for not calling the cops... I chose to do so because I honestly have lost faith and trust in them - not just because of recent events but over my lifetime. I posted on here to see if i was the only one who heard them. Haha apparently i have no intention of contributing because i chose to inform edhat and not the police? i could of said nothing and carried on with my dinner. Sorry my dislike of LEO upsets you so much, keep your 2 cents in your pocket next time thanks!

COMMENT 372966P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 05:29 PM

OP - I listened to the scanner from 6PM to past 7PM.

The only thing I heard possibliy related was a person reporting "hearing explosions coming from the creek bed." There was nothing further on it after this initital report.

There was a lot going on between 6 and 7:

Suicidal subject near city colledge, child hurt at YMCA, person with severe head pain on Samarkand, 2 parole checks, transient refusing to leave and causing problems at the rescue mission, hiker stuck in the mud and having an astma attack West Camino Cielo near 154 on a fire road (this was at 6:57PM).

COMMENT 373015P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 09:46 PM

NOPE.

57% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 5 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.

Comments on this thread are only open to Community Members.

# # # #