Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 70.5°F | Humidity: 76% | Pressure: 29.99in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SW | Wind Speed: 9.2mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise

15432 Subscribers
      700 Paid (4.5%)
     127 Commenters
     93391 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Local Stories by Local People
updated: Feb 09, 2013, 5:00 PM

Four flu-related deaths have been reported in Santa Barbara County this season, and there has been an increase in flu activity.

External Link

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 372686 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 06:31 PM

My office-mate gave me the flu, which he picked up from his family. Hadn't had the flu in a long time, but it was a miserable 5 days. Wish I knew how to stop the coughing ...

COMMENT 372694P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 06:43 PM

I got the flu a couple weeks ago - worst one I have ever had! I went in for the flu shot in November but I guess it didn't work this time around...

COMMENT 372728 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-09 07:40 PM

686, you can try to control the urge to cough. Although coughing is good because it gets the mucus out, constant coughing with no result will just irritate your chest and make it last longer. I fight the urge to cough at every little thing, I cough when I need to get something out. I feel as a result I tend not to have prolonged coughing after being sick.

And I think this is the same four that died before. I believe this article is being regurgitated, cause I swear a few weeks ago 4 died and it was a different news agency reporting it

COMMENT 372762P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 12:21 AM

Flu shots are useless, honestly. There are so many different strains of flu virus. Those shots are a big money maker for someone, and afford little protection.

MESARATS agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 12:52 AM

RE 762. The vaccine is is created way ahead of time based on the estimated strains predicated. This year is it is estimated to be 60% effective. Better than nothing. A few years ago my colleague died within 72 hours from the H1N1. 30 year old healthy women. Not a pretty sight if you are a shut in you are probabely ok. If you have to get out in the word and travel a lot tin may lead you ro have a have a different perspective. Vaccines are not evil, ignorance is .

COMMENT 372792 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 07:44 AM

This is the same argument I use for the gun control debate. You lock your front door to reduce the chances of a break in. If someone wants to break in, they can do it but you've made it less likely. Same with flu shots. You make your odds better by getting the shot. (And you reduce the potential risks if you make it harder to get a gun and ammunition.)

COMMENT 372884 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-10 01:16 PM

I would rather build my immune system....the flu is not deadly for the vast majority who get it..yes, people with already compromised immune systems should be more cautious, however I am not one of those people, and I will not subject myself to some concoction which is not effective 40% of the time. Not worth losing the immune build up over.

43% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.