Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 61.3°F | Humidity: 97% | Pressure: 29.86in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15685 Subscribers
      687 Paid (4.4%)
     1 Commenters
     670 Page Views

Wine Tasting and Yacht Tours
Wine Tasting and Yacht Tours

Drama Dogs (Sept 26-Oct 5)
Drama Dogs (Sept 26-Oct 5)

Bike MS
Bike MS

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

A Day at Alice Keck Park Memorial Gardens
updated: Feb 07, 2013, 10:35 AM

By Denise Dewire

I was helping a friend purchase a new camera at Samy's on Wednesday and afterwards we stopped by Alice Keck Park to do some test shots. I have a similar point and shoot (Panasonic) so I brought it along for our visit, (I normally shoot with a Canon 5DMarkII).

While I didn't get a shot (this camera doesn't have a long zoom) there was a beautiful Great Blue Heron in the middle of the pond. Lots of turtles, ducks, seagulls, etc. We saw one particular type of duck that was different and had no idea what it was. Sent an email to NatureShutterbug to help id the bird. She thought, and was correct, it was a female Mandarin Duck. I then sent a link to Santa Barbara Birding group and received more info. Apparently a rare sighting in this area! Here is a link to info on this type of bird.

Normally migrating in September, there is a small group in Northern California….so this little gal is quite a distance from her other friends! I sure wish a male would have been around too as they are so beautiful.

After hearing this is a rare bird for the area, I sure wish I would have had my "big" camera with me and a longer lens!

And while Mallards are quite common, their color and detail always amazes me.

Love this little park. Always something of interest be it birds, turtles, flowers, plants and people watching!

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 371845 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-07 11:26 AM

Aww, she's adorable!

COMMENT 371881 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-07 12:30 PM

i heard the mandarins have the most tender meat for eating

COMMENT 371903 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-07 01:03 PM

I saw that duck there on the weekend. I said " Hey friend, you're new here." Has any one seen a duck like that at the park in the past? Seemed to be getting along with the other ducks though.
Love those turtle pictures!

COMMENT 371917P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-07 01:30 PM

Good eye! Thank you for sharing.

COMMENT 371951P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-07 02:50 PM

All look good to me. The only camera that I have is on my phone which has a multitude of settings, and therefore I would most surely lose the thing or person by trying to tweak it to look a certain way.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-07 04:14 PM

Love all the duck photos, but the shot of the lamp post under the arching tree branch is one I'd like to frame.

COMMENT 372035 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-07 06:34 PM

LOVE all the pictures, but especially the one of the beautiful lady with the book looking so serene, reflecting on the beauty of the park.

My favorite park and it seems to change weekly, I never tire of it. Thank you for sharing.

DDPHOTOGRAPHY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-08 08:06 AM

Thanks! 035....I love taking people shots, especially with scenes as that one.

If anyone happens to know this lovely woman I'd be happy to email the photo to her. I'll also check to see if she's there next time.

I love that little park!

CORKY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-08 09:25 AM

Just remember it's Alice Keck Park, Park or Alice Keck Park Memorial Gardens. A mouthful necessary, since her name was Alice Keck Park.

COMMENT 372201P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-08 09:56 AM

hah, I recently spoke to someone about the bluegrass jammers who meet in the Gardens; she said "they meet at Alice Keck Park", and I responded "Alice Keck Park Park? "and she corrected me "Alice Keck PARK!" I'd hoped we could both chuckle about it, but it went over her head, darn it.

COMMENT 372241 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-08 10:58 AM

Isn't that a mallard duck, not a mandarine duck?

SEEDLADY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-08 11:27 AM

I love the turtle reverse can-can shot!

COMMENT 372294 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-08 12:15 PM

The ducks are so pretty and I love the turtles too. Good job, isn't it fun!
Gus Harris

CORKY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-08 01:13 PM

102P Yes, it's a weird name and I always have to remind myself, but it's nice that it's called Alice Keck Park Memorial Gardens now. It helps a little. It's pretty awkward to call it Alice Keck Park park, although that's accurate.

CORKY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-08 01:15 PM

Oh, darn, my comment was to 201 P. Sorry.

60% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.