Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 52.3°F | Humidity: 100% | Pressure: 29.95in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15818 Subscribers

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this
Created In SB

Super Bowl Sunday Sunset
updated: Feb 04, 2013, 7:30 PM

By Brian Peddicord

An awesome picture taken by Brian Peddicord at the Douglas Preserve of the Super Bowl Sunday Sunset and his friend.

PS - I am not a professional photographer. This is my art. Taken on a Canon Rebel T3i and edited using the Camera+ app.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 07:36 PM

Nice..

COMMENT 370815 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 07:50 PM

I love it! The young dude looks like the hood ornament from a '38 Packard. Very nice!

PAMSB agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 07:57 PM

That is my favorite picture EVER! Really, it is excellent, Brian. Should be a poster for "JOY!"

COMMENT 370825 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 08:28 PM

I think it's awesome!

PURPLERIDER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 08:45 PM

The Karate Kid Returns..

Great image.

BULLSEYEB agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 11:12 PM

Love this! :)

COMMENT 370853P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 05:59 AM

Gee, is every submission now going to have a disclaimer of some sort or a note re what is being represented, in this case, the photographer's "art." Seems rather silly and overly defensive. Nice photograph.

COMMENT 370862 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 07:04 AM

What's wrong if Brian says his picture is awesome? It IS awesome. Haven't y'all ever been so happy with something you did/said that you yourself described it as awesome? C'mon, admit it.

AQUAHOLIC agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 07:11 AM

Brian, I think your photo is awesome too! BTW, I often get so excited when I look on the monitor of my camera and see I really 'nailed' it, I often say, that's awesome! Awesome capture!!

COMMENT 370882P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 07:40 AM

It _is_ funny if the photographer described his own photo as "awesome", especially since it is quite likely that his beautiful snap was a staged effort. Me, I don't think of photos, especially not my own, as "captures", the hunting imagery, although a photo does freeze a scene in one's memory.

Well, sometimes I do feel happily I captured the fleeting feeling of a moment in the step of a bird or a nod of a flower. As for being a pro: that's someone who makes his living from photography and probably applies to few (any?) of us here.

AQUAHOLIC agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 08:06 AM

882P.... I am not a professional photographer (obvious) but the lingo in the photography world IS capture, as in, capturing a moment in time. Most every profession, or club if you will, has it's own unique vernacular. It does make you feel like 'one of the gang' when you learn the correct lingo!

COMMENT 370898P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 08:20 AM

beautiful color, joyful pose. Nice way to spend the late afternoon. Thanks for sharing it with Edhat!

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 09:04 AM

Awsome, for sure. If I took it, that's how I'd describe it.

COMMENT 370947 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 09:33 AM

Great shot Brian. I feel our original goal to practice with some action shots worked out alright. Hopping around, climbing trees and getting a little exercise sure did beat sitting around the tv :)

COMMENT 370959 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 09:49 AM

It's funny, I almost stopped posting pictures on EdHat because of all the negative comments I often receive. But, when I took this candid (not-staged) photo of my friend this weekend and got home and reviewed it, I thought to myself, "Wow, this is awesome, I bet people would enjoy this." I have no shame in admitting it.

Why is it that it's ok for others to tell you your work is great, but when you say your own work is great, now you are a some sort of jerk? It's an interesting world we live in. I will never apologize for loving myself and appreciating my own art.

The reason for the disclaimer was because in the past when I posted photos, I immediately would have some Brooks dropout start picking it apart and telling me how my ISO was too low or some other technical photography criticism. I do this for fun, so I am not concerned with all that. If a photo is cool, I could care less whether I had the correct aperture.

I am going to respond to every one of you:

RODGER DODGER - Thank you :)

813 - I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic since sarcasm doesn't translate via text, but if you are then what was the point of that? Really? Was it necessary?

REXOFSB - Thank you as always for your support. I really appreciate it :)

PAMSB - That means a lot to me. Thank you. I try to capture (with my videos and photos) people having fun and doing what they love, and I think this does a good job of that.

DANOO7 - So do I! I'm glad you agree. Thank you for the comment.

PURPLERIDER - Haha! That's exactly what I thought! Thank you for the kind words.

BULLSEYEB - Thank you! So do I :)

849P - Yes, the photographer did write that this pic is awesome, because it is. Let's s... [ more ]

COMMENT 370963 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 10:00 AM

CONTINUED...

882P - It is awesome. And no, it was not staged. My friend jumped up on a tree stump and said, "take my picture!" so I did. I did indeed CAPTURE that moment, so what other word would you use?

Why don't you go ahead and post one of your photos, so I can comment about how it was staged or say some sort of other un-constructive criticism. I am open to critique, but nothing in your two paragraph comment was helpful.

AQUAHOLIC - True dat.

898P - Thank you for your comment. People like you are the reason I take the time to share my work on here :)

914 - Wow, you are one of the trolls who gives EdHat a bad name. First off, it was a real sunset. All I did was turn up the saturation. Maybe you should try getting out of your mom's basement and seeing one someday. They are spectacular this time of year :/

FLICKA - Thank you. I appreciate the love :)

947 - I agree. I had a great time. And we captured some cool stuff. Love you man!

COMMENT 370965 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 10:00 AM

great picture. however...a disclaimer..i am not a professional critic.

nevertheless i believe my critique was equally awesome.

COMMENT 370967 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 10:04 AM

Brian - I am so impressed with your talent - this photo is nothing short of amazing. I am not a professional photographer but I do have a BA degree in Fine Art from UCSB and have some sense of composition, color, etc. Please disregard those negative comments - they are not worthy.

COMMENT 370970 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 10:06 AM

That's a great image! Nice work.

Ignore the folks who think they're stuff doesnt stink or those who hold onto some sense of superiority because they're traditionalists or just curmudgeons. Photography is about using technology to create an image - period. The image is all that matters and more importantly, you like what you create.

Keep shooting and congrats on a stellar image - its gorgeous and exudes happiness.

(a lifelong photographer)

COMMENT 370989 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 10:39 AM

I'm not a photographer (I have an old 3GS iphone and a really old point & shoot), and I have no idea what the people who complain (...constantly...) are talking about. I like pretty images. I like fun images. I like art. I like stuff that brings the image to life. You managed all of those. Thanks for the cool pic! Don't bother with the negative comments - when you feed the trolls, they reproduce. Ignore them. Seriously - know that some people spend all day at a computer doing nothing but inciting people - it's how they have fun. Don't help them!

COMMENT 371011 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 11:17 AM

AWESOME photo period (.) My father was a professional photographer, and I often regret not learning more from him. People tell me I am a natural. Sometimes I think I should upgrade my camera, and learn a little about "photography" My mom always reminds me that it's not about the camera- It's all about the photographer. Have fun, and enjoy!

COMMENT 371056 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 01:08 PM

The only way this picture could be improved is if there was a dog in it somewhere. Being the Douglas Preserve and all. If you don't mind, I am imagining my dog in there now. Thanks!

COMMENT 371061 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 01:14 PM

What I see when I look at this pohoto is someone glad to be alive and appreciative of the beauty each day brings. Good show Brian....thanks.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 03:12 PM

I agree with all those who think it's a great photo - unbridled joy and glad to be alive in beautiful Santa Barbara. These coments just go to show that even under the most benign circumstances (disclaiming professional status - spontaneous/not staged, etc.) there will always be some people who find something to complain about.

COMMENT 371133P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 04:13 PM

Professional or not, this picture is a moving piece of art. I can easily visualize this being included in a coffee-table book containing images that evoke pure joy at being alive on a beautiful day, in a beautiful place.

COMMENT 371181 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 05:56 PM

I thought art was supposed to promote controversy and opinion. Does everyone have to love it for approval? Would you expect every person at a gallery exhibit to have the same awesome opinion about displayed paintings? Like it, love it, hate it or find it awesome, to each his own. Don't take it so hard kid.

COMMENT 371241P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 10:21 PM

Brian Peddicord: 1181's comment is worth considering: art is indeed supposed to promote controversy — if differences of opinion are not wanted then perhaps what's being presented is not, is not intended to be art.

882P here and I called your photo "beautiful" --- I also thought it was staged and you and your friend basically acknowledged that. This was not a scene that you just happened upon. Fine, no problem. As others (and I, too) have said, it's beautiful and unusual. Congrats to you!

I have indeed posted pictures on edhat, quite a few in the past, including now cliched sunsets, and they were met with praise and criticism, too. I learned from the criticism and tried not to glow too much with the praise. There are plenty of photographers on edhat now so I do not bother anymore to send in photos, except rarely, so you can hold your criticism, constructive or not.

COMMENT 371349 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-06 09:46 AM

Awesome, artful, lovely! Ron Harris

DDPHOTOGRAPHY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-07 08:18 AM

Brian - AWESOME CAPTURE! I hope you'll ignore negative comments and continue to post your AWESOME CAPTURES!!

I'd love to see more of your beautiful photography!

48% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 3 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.