Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 77.7°F | Humidity: 63% | Pressure: 29.87in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: SW | Wind Speed: 6.9mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  Viva la Fiesta! Send your fiesta photos to ed@edhat.com login  twitter  facebook  RSS

15437 Subscribers
      701 Paid (4.5%)
     116 Commenters
     74385 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Back to the Future
updated: Feb 04, 2013, 5:21 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

Any good, appropriate Madame Rosinka stories to share? I'm told her "tellings" can be good. Madame Rosinka was here when I moved to Santa Barbara ab't 40 years ago. Today I walked by two of her places and noted "since 1951."

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 370786 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 06:05 PM

I went to her in the mid 1980s, she told me I would "be moving closer to water". Shortly thereafter I got a job as a 'live in'--there was a swimming pool outside my bedroom window....draw your own conclusions......

COMMENT 370788 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 06:19 PM

Someone paid for me to go to her some years ago and I was told that I'd be extremely successful and would....."live by the water." Retired at 52 and have a house near the Rincon and a condo in Carmel. Mostly though I think readings are a pile. In my case I was already in the dough and had my place in Carmel. Thank you Microsoft and Cisco Systems!!

COMMENT 370792 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 06:37 PM

786, thanks for the laugh!
Boy I needed that.

COMMENT 370797P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 07:01 PM

In the 90's I went to the one on Milpas St. Complete waste of money. I felt like a bigger fool than before I went in there.

COMMENT 370799 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 07:03 PM

I think people only feel like fools if they go in thinking they are going to get a real reading rather than something entertaining and kinda fun. She's cool, her daughter is cool (or, whomever the other Rosinka is.)

Guys, it's not REAL. It's FUN!

COMMENT 370800 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 07:13 PM

97P you were not a fool at all, a fool would have gone back a second time.

COMMENT 370803P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 07:22 PM

@799- I believe that some people possess certain gifts that most people do not; it's kind of like having one window open in your house when all of the others are closed---stuff is gonna come in; whether you like it or not. It depends on what one does with that "gift". And, yes, sometimes gifts can be a curse. Can be really scary. My mother has it full-blown; me: only about 90%.

COMMENT 370805P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 07:30 PM

Have been curious, unadventuresome to go in, but Madame Rosinka must be doing something right - she has one of the longest running businesses in town. She must have seen that future correctly.

COMMENT 370821P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 08:14 PM

The future that was seen: A fool and his money are soon parted.

TRUTHTELLER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 08:45 PM

821p: you are SO RIGHT!!!! A fool will throw his money at a bet; a winner will throw his money at the hand that he knows will win. I always told my son: "Never ask a question that you don't already know the answer to; also, never ask a question if you think you may not like the answer. ".

COMMENT 370837P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 10:23 PM

The original posting asked for appropriate stories regarding visits at Mme. Rosinka's. The door has been open at the wharf location and I've been afraid what might be said about the future, true or not. As for fools and money parted am certain there are many, many stories of local businesses who have parted money from fools; that might be a separate topic.

COMMENT 370840P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 10:49 PM

Consorting with Madams? Not usually considered a good idea. You might catch something, a delusion perhaps?

COMMENT 370841P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 11:03 PM

I went to see her on the wharf with a friend and she told me I would live well into my 80's, have many children and even more grandchildren. I would also be married within a few years and "in production" fairly quickly. This was in the late 80's. Not one thing she mentioned has happened. Never married, no children, fewer grandchildren. Everytime I go by there on the wharf she is closed. Does anyone remember when she had that glorious bird out there and someone took it? Think she knew where to find it?!

COMMENT 370851P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 12:56 AM

NATURE BOY: Please send Madam a psychic vibe. Maybe she will correct her sign, if you "tell" her it's not good English.

OR maybe she wants to appear to be a foreigner, with poor grasp of our language . . . tricky. Very tricky.

COMMENT 370854P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 06:13 AM

NB: Locally, and recently, I've seen signs on trucks for "jumper's" and "painting's." You would think sign-makers might double check with someone before they pick up the brush. My all time personal fave was a Greek grocer in Belmont, MA who did his own signs and wrote them the way he spoke his own brand of very charmingly accented English: "Ekks, $1.00 per dusan." How could you not love that? He was definitely part of what gave the neighborhood its unique character.

COMMENT 370855 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 06:50 AM

It all came true for me: 3 kids, good health, wealth, and she saw something on my partner's face she couldn't describe, not a Beard, not a disease, she kept making a round motion in front of her face, couldn't understand. She couldn't conceive of a mixed couple? My partner is african American, and her reading was in 1978.

COMMENT 370857 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 06:50 AM

When I dropped by to see her, she told me I needed an appointment. She should have known I was coming.

COMMENT 370860 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 07:03 AM

Thank you El Barbareno for the best comment ever. One should start each day with a good laugh.

COMMENT 370861P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 07:03 AM

Based on some of the naively gullible comments it is clear why Madame Rosinka is still in business.

COMMENT 370866 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 07:12 AM

I saw Mme. Rosinka on the wharf one day last July and remarked, "Lovely weather we're having."

"Yes," she said, "it reminds me of the summer of 2017."

COMMENT 370883 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 07:48 AM

0877.... people believe in Santa don't they? Or anything else that requires faith... why ridicule something you probably do too? That seems foolish to me.

ARCHIE agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 08:07 AM

I don't remember anything coming true but she told me to sleep on a hankerchief & bring it to her (on the wharf) the next morning. I did that and she kept the hankerchief (!).

COMMENT 370900 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 08:24 AM

I am astonished that so many people seem to enjoy ridicule of others and feel so self confident that only their opinions are valid. I believe in the evidence that there are clairvoyant
people but do not personally consult them for myself. This doesn't place me in any position to judge those who do.
My mother told me that if I couldn't say something good to keep my mouth shut. That advice has generally served me well. Rather akin to the definition, "Tact is the art of making ones point without making enemies."

COMMENT 370902 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 08:27 AM

On a whim, I visited Mme. Rosinka on my 40th birthday. Among other things, she commented on my health history, specifically things that she had NO WAY of knowing. I was a skeptic, but left a believer.

COMMENT 370906 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 08:30 AM

I don't think people over the age of 10 actually believe in Santa, 883. Don't be silly.

COMMENT 370917 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 08:39 AM

Madame Rosinka has always been right on the dot. You can believe what you want, but if you go in positive, you will have a positive reading, be assured!

COMMENT 370923P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 08:46 AM

I took my son to her back in the 80's ... she told him he was going on a ocean voyage. Shortly afterwards his grandmother won a cruise to Mexico and took him along.

COMMENT 370948 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 09:33 AM

I love that Mme. Rosinka is so knowledgeable about intimate details of my life.

But why did she have to ask my name?

COMMENT 370961 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 09:56 AM

She is a palm reader not a fortune teller right? Palm reading is something you learn and not a gift.

COMMENT 370972 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 10:10 AM

I went to her twice, and while she would read my friends fortunes, she wouldn't read mine. Both times ! Kinda makes you worry....

COMMENT 370979 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 10:29 AM

Rex & El Barb - Bwa hahaha! Awesome!
I've never been, but I'm curious. I agree with those who've said it's a form of entertainment. But I also think there could be more to it. And as to the "I'm afraid to go in" crowd - if a fortune teller/palm reader/whatever saw some really bad stuff they wouldn't tell you anyway - happy customers come back and/or tell friends - people told they will die in a year probably won't.

RESIDENT agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 10:34 AM

People that make predictions usually recall the correct ones (guesses) but ignore the wrong ones.

If we were able to keep score of all the rights and wrongs I wonder if the % would approximate random guessing.

COMMENT 371043P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 12:44 PM

So . . . No one here watches "The Mentalist" on t.v.?

Madam R. has trained herself to be extremely observant. She picks up on little clues you give off. She looks at how you sit and what you're wearing. She listens to your mode of speech and after all she "takes in," she makes her predictions.

I think it's great she has been able to turn her talent to profit. Plus, it sounds like she has made many people happier.

COMMENT 371078 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 02:15 PM

She's a lovely woman. I went to her and her reading was right on. It was fun. We went for a friends birthday. She's a spiritual loving woman and has a wonderful family in town so please be kind. No need to make it more than it is.

COMMENT 371121P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 03:54 PM

Say what you will, and ridicule all you like - I know that there are people around who are psychically gifted, and have direct personal evidence to that fact.

My daughter consulted a woman who says she can communicate with the souls of departed loved ones. In the process, this psychic told my daughter something about my father, that he never told anyone, but me. In effect, I am the ONLY living human being to know this story about his life and times, and it is definitely VERY UNIQUE to him, and to the place where he happened to be at the time.

My own brother told my daughter there was no way the psychic had it right. That's because he wasn't there that afternoon 40 years ago, when my father told the story to ME.

Don't try to discredit something you do not possess, nor understand.

COMMENT 371137 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 04:16 PM

The Rosinkas seem to be something of a family dynasty--a mother and her daughters. Haven't you noticed there are four or five locations--all "Madame Rosinka?" Each daughter has a location. I went to see one of them in the 90's. The first thing is that she is not a palm reader, she barely looked at mine. She closed her eyes while she spoke, which makes her a psychic. I feel she gave me very good advice, but she also tried to hook me into coming back. Perhaps everyone should try something like this once. It's always good to look at yourself.

COMMENT 371231P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-05 09:50 PM

Much better to look at yourself in a mirror than to subsidize quackery and flim-flammery. There is no valid evidence for psychic abilities; only confirmation bias, hearsay, and outright gullibility. Patrons of these operators are paying their "I didn't pay attention in school" tax.

COMMENT 371477P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-06 01:45 PM

She told me to get a man's hanky, wrap up 150 dollars in ones, Sleep with it under my pillow, and add some soil from my backyard and bring it back or a curse would cover my entire family. I did not go back.

47% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 4 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.