Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 63.7°F | Humidity: 89% | Pressure: 29.94in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: NE | Wind Speed: 3.8mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15504 Subscribers
      697 Paid (4.5%)
     165 Commenters
     108958 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Motorcyclists Down
updated: Feb 02, 2013, 3:52 PM

Two motorcyclists down. 101 Southbound, South of Santa Claus..Riders transported to Cottage.

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 370298 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 03:59 PM

2 riders, 1 bike per CHP

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 04:05 PM

Will it twas 2 bikes in the beginning Thanks..Non contact 20002 with 4 female juveniles in a grey vw. I don't really understand this.

COMMENT 370457 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 09:55 AM

Roger, if I had to guess, I'd assume the VW was about to turn into the motorcycle's path, and the bike swerved to avoid & went down. Bikes are pretty much invisible to most drivers, and I've seen that happen pretty frequently, minus the bike going down part. At least that's how I picture it happening.

COMMENT 370462 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 10:12 AM

I was about 5 minutes behind this accident. The CHP website said two riders, but I only saw one. By the time I went by, another fire truck had come causing the group of cars I was in to come to a stop. I was right across from the rider who was face down on the left shoulder. There were multiple fire fighters around him & crouching to speak to him. From the looks of it, they didn't want to move him yet. I also saw the VW which was pulled to the left shoulder somewhat after where the crash occurred. My initial thought was just that they saw the accident and pulled over, but they could have tried to change lanes and forced the MC into the center divider. These are just assumptions though and I hope the riders are OK. This literally took my breath away and I've been looking on the news to see if there is any update on their condition (although, like I said, I did not see a second ride).

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 10:38 AM

I think the vw full of girls took off they were boling them later. Thanks for the information..

COMMENT 370474 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 10:43 AM

Unlike vehicle to vehicle contact where it takes quite a bit of force to cause harmful results vehicle to motorcycle contact requires very little contact and it may not show.... a tap to the front tire, a tap to the edge of the handlebar, a tap to the rider's leg - none of these will leave much evidence but can have disastrous effects.

PLEASE keep an eye out for motorcycles.... that's a human being on board.

COMMENT 370486 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 12:40 PM

I totally agree that cars need to pay attention to bikes but so many times I've had a biker zoom in between lanes in busy traffic and scare me bc they're so close! Everyone needs to just slow down and be safe!

COMMENT 370488 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 01:22 PM

Lane splitting is legal for motorcycles to do in California... but only under certain conditions. It is not legal for vehicles when a motorcycle is occupying the lane, something I see more and more younger drivers do.

0486... a fright is very unpleasant but it won't send you to the hospital like nudging a motorcyclist out of his/her lane can.

COMMENT 370560P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 07:14 PM

We were out on the freeways (101 and 405) today and the lane-splitting motorcycle riding was hair-raising. Just one tiny miscalculation or swerve of either car or driver, because the cycles come inches close to the side of cars, and it's all over. Friend of mine died that way; it's not theoretical.

COMMENT 370610 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 07:54 AM

Lane splitting is only legal at speeds of 30 mph or less, which means it is only supposed to be done in stop n go traffic. Most lane splitters I see are not doing 30 or less. Besides, why are people lane splitting in those big wide Harleys and Goldwings? If you're going to lane split, buy a smaller bike!

Motorcyclists that are splitting at speeds faster than this seem to have a lot of faith in the driving ability of the cagers, in that we are not texting or calling or changing CDs or suddenly want to change lanes to get into that open spot next to us. Personally I think it is best to assume that each cager is distracted and might do something unexpected at anytime. Otherwise you are a statistic waiting to get counted.

COMMENT 370679 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 12:08 PM

462 here. I was telling my boyfriend about this after I arrived in Ventura and he was on the freeway by our house (Goleta) about five minutes before me. He saw a black cafe racer driving aggressively who was wearing what I saw on the rider(small blk helmet, green tshirt, no jacket). This rider was going around 120 mph, forced a car into the shoulder and was driving with no hands. There's a chance it might not be the same guy, but it seems like it was. Any updates?

COMMENT 370684 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 12:48 PM

I do hope the rider is ok. Unlike the accident on the 33 this weekend where the only part you could see of the rider were his socks sticking out from under the yellow tarp.

25% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.