Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 69.5°F | Humidity: 65% | Pressure: 30.06in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise

15932 Subscribers
      650 Paid (4.1%)
     45 Commenters
     39660 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Local Stories by Local People
updated: Feb 02, 2013, 8:56 AM

The body of a diver was found on the north side of Santa Cruz Island Friday afternoon, several hours after he was reported missing, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

External Link

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

LOUWHO? agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 10:30 AM

So sad. I am sending prayers to his loved ones.

COMMENT 370248 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 12:29 PM

How very sad--heartfelt thoughts to his family and friends.........

COMMENT 370255 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 12:57 PM

RIP :( were they snorkeling or scuba-diving?

COMMENT 370259P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 01:12 PM

The very first rule of scuba diving is never to dive without a buddy who dives next to you. Where was his buddy?

COMMENT 370260P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 01:17 PM

RIP. if any consolation it sounds like he passed doing something he loved.

COMMENT 370267 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 02:00 PM

The first rule in commenting after someones tragic death is to not sound insensitive, because friends and family may be reading. Very sad, RIP.

YIN YANG agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 02:47 PM

Thank you, 067.
My condolences to family & friends.

COMMENT 370306P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 04:08 PM

Tragic. Really tragic. Condolences.

COMMENT 370389P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 09:04 PM

267, I disagree. It is not insensitive to ask where his dive buddy was.

EDHATBARBARA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 10:30 AM

I have been a diver for many years. There are buddies and there are buddies. Some get very complacent and don't stay within a nearby perimeter. There are some who can be distracted easily. I was married to one with whom I often dived and I had an experience in those same waters where kelp ripped off my weight belt and my mask at the same time -- my buddy was nowhere to be found as I struggled. Fortunately, my training was excellent and I didn't panic, so I survived. (And really chewed out my buddy when we surfaced.)

No matter how you prepare in advance, stuff happens and its how you deal with it when it does that makes the difference between surviving or not. I've done over 100 dives in lots of places and I just returned from a glorious trip where I dived seven times in 11 days. I'm careful. I'm cautious and because I am, I feel safe.

I've heard about people having a heart attack while diving -- I guess if you're going to have one, there couldn't be a more wondrous, beautiful place to have it happen. I'd rather it be there than anywhere.

COMMENT 370650 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 10:41 AM

Ed., I have a husband like that, he does not know the meaning of," having your back". It makes me depressed, because I always cover his six.

EDHATBARBARA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 11:44 AM

@650 -- please note the use of past tense. ;^D

67% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.