Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 56.1°F | Humidity: 91% | Pressure: 30.02in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: East | Wind Speed: 3.8mph [see map]

Free Newsletter

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

3D Scenery
updated: Feb 02, 2013, 8:29 AM

By John Wiley

These deeper views of Eye Rock and Tangerine Falls from the air, emerged from my camera. Again, to see the 3D effect look at the line in the center and gradually cross your eyes until you see three images side by side and then focus on a feature in the middle image as you cross or uncross your eyes slightly to bring together the two copies of that feature you see in the middle image. If you have trouble, it's easier if you move further from the screen and/or zoom out so that your eyes only need to cross slightly. Once you have it you can move closer or zoom in for better detail.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 370197 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 09:32 AM

Great photos!!

COMMENT 370228P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 11:37 AM

So trippy to look at! I love the depth and detail :)

COMMENT 370251 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 12:32 PM

Love it--thanks for the pics!

COMMENT 370253P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 12:49 PM

John, I'm beginning to think you're getting a kick-back from eye doctors in town. "Just cross and unfocus your eyes. Trust me."

COMMENT 370270 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 02:21 PM

My eyes can't play tricks on me.

SMAC6590 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 06:07 PM

I think if I keep doing that, my eyes are gonna stay that way.

COMMENT 370466 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 10:32 AM

cool. is it a special camera or two photos taken from different angles?

COMMENT 370475 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 10:53 AM

466... same image, cropped ever so slightly differently to create optical offset.

COMMENT 370477 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 11:05 AM

Frustrating for me. Just plain doesn't work. Maybe 65 years ago I could have done it!

Still great pictures in 2D! :-)

JOHN WILEY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 12:15 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm glad that many have been able to see the effect, because it's so cool when it works. As for the question, yes they're created from "two photos taken from different angles."

JoJo showed me a trick for seeing the 3D effect: hold a finger or thumb up in front of the pic about halfway between your eyes and the screen. While focusing on your finger, move it away from the screen until the size of the middle image is a little larger than the other two. Then either shift your gaze to a feature in the pic right next to your finger, or move your finger away while keeping your eyes in the same position. I find this trick works best if I position my finger next to a prominent feature like the cave in the top pic, and that shifting focus from my finger to the screen works best at about 1/3 of the distance from my eyes to the screen. I think the reason this works is that your eyes are already crossed, so you only need to slightly uncross your eyes as you automatically relax your focus to look at the screen. At normal computer viewing distance, my finger is about 8" from the screen. Theoretically anyone who can focus on an object at 8" could do this. So much for theory, eh? :)

40% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.