Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 86.2°F | Humidity: 33% | Pressure: 29.99in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: NW | Wind Speed: 2.2mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15545 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Rivalry & Vandalism
updated: Feb 01, 2013, 6:56 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

My son came home from school today showing me pics he took of the vandalism that occurred at DP overnight. This goes WAY past any "fun" tricks we used to play back in the day with school rivalry.

Spray painted all over the school were the letters SM in red and blue and some additional "paintings" that were pretty obscene.

Regardless of who did this, it makes me pretty sad that this is now how kids express themselves.

Here's an article about it in the Charger Account:

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 370089 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 07:45 PM

It looked terrible and was everywhere. I'm not going to rush to blame someone from San Marcos because it's not hard to think someone else could have easily tried to "start something" however if it was a SM student competitive banter has lost its way.

COMMENT 370137P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 12:19 AM

Sure am glad I checked out of high school. SBCC was much better. None of this crap; competitive cliquey stuff. Of course, when I was in high school for a little while, there was almost zero graffiti.

COMMENT 370179 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 08:28 AM

Yes. It was so frustrating to see the mess they made! But the great staff at DP had it cleaned up very quickly!

COMMENT 370198 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 09:41 AM

Parenting. These kids haven't been taught what "over the top" 'inappropriate" means. Sad. Misfits.

COMMENT 370205 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 10:04 AM

15 years back when i was a senior at DP the same thing was going on but before the big game the SM guys would try to get to the quad and pour bleach on the grass to spell out their logo. Since a buddy lived next door, we would wait til they would pull their cars in the parking lot and chain it behind them. Then, all armed with paint ball guns, we would let them have it. DP won in more than one way that year!!!

COMMENT 370211 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 10:23 AM

That vandalism was committed by Santa Barbara High School students trying to defame San Marcos and fire up D.P. in their upcoming basketball game with San Marcos, a game important to league standings particularly for Santa Barbara H.S.. They are tracking down the purchase of the red and blue poster paint used by these vandals and a future arrest is definitely possible.

COMMENT 370222P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 10:52 AM

Surely there are surveillance cameras on campus...

COMMENT 370226P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 11:19 AM

Yeah, sure .... Blame it on Santa Barbara High ... Typical cop out. Sounds to me like San Marcos could use a lesson in pranks, sportsmanship and taking responsibility for their actions.

COMMENT 370262 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 01:25 PM

226P
Yes it was Santa Barbara, and San Marcos is not trying to pass the blame. Honestly no one at SM would ever do that and if anyone needs a lesson in pranks it's Santa Barbara. Earlier this year they hung the DP mascot with a noose. If that isn't bad sportsmanship I don't know what is.

COMMENT 370279 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 02:53 PM

All I have to say is DP kids are to be commended for their mature reaction to this incident. Instead of retaliating, they made "lemonade out of lemons" and used the graffiti as part of their pep rally. Stay classy, Dos Pueblos!

COMMENT 370336 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 05:32 PM

@370226P

There's no reason to think that it was San Marcos students.

COMMENT 370338 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 05:40 PM

There's even less reason to state, as has been done above twice, that it was Santa Barbara students. That is completely without merit or proof.

COMMENT 370377P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 07:43 PM

@370279
I believe your indignity is misplaced. My response was to an absolute (yet completely unfounded) statement that it was in fact the work of Santa Barbara High School student. While I was amused by the wild conspiracy theory, it was just that, a theory. One could just as easily theorize that it was done in order to blame SB.
In any case, it was a terrible thing to do, and I certainly hope that its not a sign of things to come.

COMMENT 370378P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 07:45 PM

Excuse me, I meant to direct my comment to 370336.

COMMENT 370463 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 10:19 AM

No one else had issues with the website? I got a WOT warning when I went to the site saying it was unreliable (looked fine to me, but thought I'd mention it). Also, no pics? What exactly was the graffiti, besides blue & red? Was it just sloshed around, or were words written?

COMMENT 370557 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 07:05 PM

463 if they post pics, then the taggers win. They get what they want, attention. So I hope they don't post any.

31% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.