Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 62.8°F | Humidity: 93% | Pressure: 29.80in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15580 Subscribers
      699 Paid (4.5%)
     3 Commenters
     4598 Page Views

Bike MS
Bike MS

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

A Perfect Match
updated: Feb 01, 2013, 9:33 AM

By Edhat Subscriber

Remember when everyone gave out matches? Even national parks, the Olympics, and the U.N.! This is a random collection of matchbooks my mother accumulated. Many are from local restaurants and institutions no longer in business.

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

PURPLERIDER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 10:03 AM

Love the M.A.S.H. matchbook. I wonder how much a collector would pay for it?

COMMENT 369859P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 10:31 AM

The M.A.S.H. one can't be worth a lot, because I have one. Probably many more out there.

"Meanwhile…The San Ysidro Ranch" is pretty neat. Never seen that one before.

Most of these are in my collection, but my favorite one is "Chanticleer." I remember going on a date there and trying to act cool by drinking some sort of fancy Brandy. (Help me out here. Such a non-drinker, don't even know the name of it.)

Thanks for taking the time to show us these. Fun stuff.

COMMENT 369951 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 12:59 PM

wow 931. how is it that pictures of matchbooks causes you to post a political rant? maybe you should head over to craigslist.

COMMENT 369952 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 01:00 PM

Some people just can't help themselves, 951, and it's really sad. :\

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 01:10 PM

@931 There is still hope I once made a bomb out of match heads in Military School..

COMMENT 369974P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 02:00 PM

In New Zealand it's my understanding one cannot use a fireplace with chimney. As for smoking and matches, I've seen loved ones die of lung cancer and emphysema and it is unpleasant.

COMMENT 369985 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 02:30 PM

New Zealand has (compared to the U.S.) strict gun control, and a national health care system. No place for a tea partier!
Roger- LOL!

oh yeah, cool matches. was Music Odyssey across from the Granada on state?

COMMENT 370076 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 07:19 PM

@ CHILI_CON_ARTCARNE: I think there was a Music Odyssey downtown on State Street at one point, but I also remember one being in the 5 Points shopping center for a while. They also carried smoking accessories, etc. was a very cool store!

Also one in IV back in the day.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 07:48 PM

Ah, good memories. Dinner at Somerset with my Sweetie on graduation night, brunches at Presidio in the patio. A friend's dad owned chanticleer. Good times.

COMMENT 370093 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 07:49 PM

Just got confirmation from my old friend. There was a music odyssey on state in the early 80's. I remember a poster advertising The Vapors (Turning Japanese) concert here, in the window. The store at 5 points was called music galaxy. it may have been odyssey at one time as well.

Getting back to the matchbooks I think the actor John Ireland owned Chanticleer. I remember him holding court at coral casino bar in the early 80's when i worked there. my dad and him hit it off (they could both talk the back legs off a donkey) when John was having a garage sale. He bought Ireland's Canon 1040 super 8 camera. I sold it last year on eBay.......ok I'm rambling.

COMMENT 370135P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 12:04 AM

I am ashamed at not giving proper credit to MUSIC ODYSSEY. I called them Morning Glory a few months back. Pretty certain it was Music Odyssey in 5 Points; Can someone confirm for me?

I habited the one in 5 Points, with the beloved woman with gorgeous white hair. She once said I had panache, for what I was wearing; I still remember that (it was the age of spandex leotards &b this one was white... Hey, I was young!). They did have a pinball machine, and I still have many used vinyl LPs that I bought there.

I really enjoyed the pic of the match collection, thanks.

COMMENT 370136P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 12:08 AM

Sorry Carne, I read more carefully. I don't remember the Galaxy name, but I figure your sources and name are better than mine.

COMMENT 370171 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 07:43 AM

Yes, my family also had the basket of matches by the fireplace. I loved the wooden matches in a box. I've taken off the matches and have all the covers rubber-banded together..somewhere.

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 07:47 AM

135P, I remember the music store at Five Points as Morning Glory in the 1960s. We bought concert tickets there, $2.50, $3.00 at the door (Earl Warren). The Doors was my 1st one, Janis and Jimi came there too.

COMMENT 370178 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 08:10 AM

The awahnee! love that place! I find it ironic that yosemite had its own matches! lol.. Oh and also to the political rant.. Smoking wasn't ok for the servers. ever.It was banned completely in California for servers and patrons alike..

WAHINE agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 08:44 AM

Love the matchbooks. Thanks for posting!

COMMENT 370292 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 03:31 PM

-sigh- When my Mom died in 2004, one of the small things of hers that I packed for the return flight from Seattle was a bunch of old matchbooks, and I mean old: L.A. classics from the '40s. TSA found them and confiscated them, from my checked bag no less. -sigh- At least they didn't confiscate the old steel lighters, or maybe just didn't spot them.

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 04:43 PM

292, They should have had to mail them to you. Collectables, memories of Mom, dispicable of them!

COMMENT 370450 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 09:20 AM

Flicka, this is 292. I actually got paged at the gate about the matches. Frankly, at the time I didn't really know what it was about and just laughed and said "do whatever you need to do with them." I always have a book or two of matches in my bags and briefcase--it's the "be prepared" thing. I was too numb at the time to realize that what they'd found were Mom's old matchbooks. What amused me then, and ticks me off now, is that matches in checked baggage are forbidden, whereas you can have them in a carry-on. What's up with that? The luggage hold is colder than hell, they certainly aren't going to spontaneously ignite.

COMMENT 370484 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 12:35 PM

My parents managed to grab a few matchbooks from the restaurant on top of the world trade center back in 2000 before it went down. I think my dad still has a few mcdonalds ashtrays stashed away somewhere Crazy to think about places and trends that have come and gone.

50% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.