Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 55.9°F | Humidity: 99% | Pressure: 29.87in ( Falling) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15800 Subscribers
      685 Paid (4.3%)
     2 Commenters
     4408 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

3D Tooth
updated: Feb 01, 2013, 8:10 AM

By John Wiley

You can see Tooth Rock, aka Cathedral Peak, in depth with this 3D aerial pic. From town it looks conical in shape, but in this view you can see that it's actually a thick slab. You can also see the depth of the two main caves on the face. To see the 3D effect, look at the line in the center and gradually cross your eyes until you see three photos side by side and then focus on the peak as you cross or uncross your eyes slightly to bring together the two images of the peak in the center of the three photos you see with your eyes crossed. Many people like this 3D technique better than those that use special glasses, because the resolution is much sharper and there's no color distortion.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 369765 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 08:25 AM

Thanks, now I have a headache.

COMMENT 369766 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 08:27 AM

Yeah, can't do that without my eyes vibrating back and forth. Which is kind of cool in itself, but not for 3d images apparently :(

COMMENT 369778 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 08:40 AM

Wow, that's pretty cool. Worked for me!

COMMENT 369794 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 09:04 AM

I've been to the cave at the lower-right. Think it's called Horse Thief Cave (there's a GPS geocache nearby).

COMMENT 369911P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 11:45 AM

That's definitely Cool! I can see In to the caves. And the trees and are so distinct, very different from a regular 2-d photo. Tooth Rock rocks!

COMMENT 369971P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 01:56 PM

What a great way to "3d". My eyes feel a bit odd now but the viewing was very detailed!
By the by, one time I posted a pic of the moon coming up right on top of this "tooth" which I referred to as Cathedral Peak. There was a poster(s) who insisted that this tooth was NOT Cath. Peak, although they didn't offer what they thought it was called. Soooo, I guess it IS Cathedral Peak!

Thanks for the images.

JOHN WILEY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 02:21 PM

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad to get reports on your ability to view it, because I keep looking for better ways to describe the process. As for the rock's name some people call it Monkey Tooth, and there are probably other names too. But I've seen several sources "officially" call it Cathedral Peak. My friend Spencer Sherman who hikes our mountains daily also calls it that. Maybe we'll hear from someone what the Chumash called it.

JOHN WILEY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 02:34 PM

Incidentally, I've put a larger version and a frontal view on my Photo Page. If you start with the smallest version there, you might be able to eventually see the largest. Speaking of which, if you can't view the one here on Edhat, try zooming out until the image is 1.5" across or so and once you get it you can zoom back in. When I was finally able to work up to full-screen "crossview" 3D, I really liked all the detail you can see in 3D at that size. Makes me want to build a wide-field viewer so I could see really big versions of 3D photos. :)

BULLSEYEB agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 03:02 PM

Cool! Thanks, John!

COMMENT 370022 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 03:52 PM

Wow just realized I cant cross my eyes, is that bad?

COMMENT 370042 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 05:02 PM

71P: The tooth in your "moon rise pic" was likely the peak above Romero Canyon Trail, not a rock and has no name that I know of. The rocky ridge in the left side of your pic was and is above Tunnel Trail. Cathedral Peak is further west and not in the picture at all. Better break out those topos. That's the best I can do for you Buddy.

COMMENT 370103 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 08:14 PM

John,
I know it as West Cathedral, and your cross-eye (for lack of a better name) pics are great! Everyone, just be careful no one slaps you on the back when you're looking at these pictures or your eyes will stick that way permanently!

COMMENT 370156 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 07:20 AM

I know it as monkey's tooth pinnacle. We used to rock climb up there in the seventies/early eighties.

COMMENT 370162 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 07:27 AM

It is Cathedral Peak. As kids, playing in the canyons, we called it "Elephant Head"......too young to know real names.

COMMENT 370252 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 12:44 PM

I love this technique! We used to call it "Thumb Rock" Is it really Cathedral Peak, (is there anywhere online one can view the USGS topos?

COMMENT 370263P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 01:26 PM

Search for Cathedral Peak on google maps and it points to this rock.

COMMENT 370289 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-02 03:19 PM

Very nice, thanks. Almost made me get out my old stereoscope from aerial photo interp. days.

35% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.