Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 63.9°F | Humidity: 91% | Pressure: 29.89in (Rising) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: East | Wind Speed: 1.6mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15487 Subscribers
      696 Paid (4.5%)
     2 Commenters
     1291 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Tell them you found them on Edhat!
www.edhat.com/referrals

DMV Paperwork
updated: Jan 31, 2013, 9:17 PM

Can anyone recommend a DMV-saavy title and lien outfit to process DMV paperwork (such as obtaining duplicate titles, handling ownership changes, etc?) DMV - Santa Barbara is telling me they can't handle it (out-of-state transfer of "paperless" SE plates) and I'll have to deal direct with Sacramento on my own for a transferring title issue (plus 6 weeks minimum time) but in my experience elsewhere a good title and DMV forms outfit can get this taken care of in two weeks tops. I know Automobile Club is one good source but are there any other independent DMV experts in the area that know the ropes?

Places People Are Talking About:

AAA

What People Are Saying:

COMMENT 369735 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 07:43 AM

AAA can probably handle it all.

COMMENT 369737 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 07:44 AM

Car dealers.

COMMENT 369761 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 08:23 AM

Worth paying for a year of AAA membership after you find out if they can do it and save you the hassles and time.

LOLA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 08:43 AM

AAA

COMMENT 369792P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 09:03 AM

Isn't that what DMV is supposed to help you with?

COMMENT 369901P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 11:37 AM

Both my spouse & my brother have been waiting for the local &/or the Sacramento DMV to do what they're supposed to do next for over a year. They've tried both places, multiple times, and can make no progress. The CA DMV seems to specialize in not doing its job. Good luck.

COMMENT 369962 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 01:33 PM

AAA membership for a year was $60. AAA will process your DMV paperwork charging only what the DMV would require in fees.

Are you trying to save $60? What do you think an independent DMV expert will charge you?

COMMENT 369975 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 02:14 PM

Definitely AAA. I've registered boats, cars. They have a DMV computer terminal right there

COMMENT 370026 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 04:01 PM

I don't recognize this: "out-of-state transfer of "paperless" SE plates"

What vehicle are you transferring and from where?

But yes, AAA should be the first place you go for help if the DMV says no. Have you asked more than one DMV worker? Some are more helpful and knowledgable than others.

YIN YANG agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 11:54 PM

My single car, one person AAA membership is $48 a year.

I wasn't going to mention it to OP, because they were aware of it, but it seems that's the OP's best option.

I've found it to be extremely worthwhile, for roadside service, dead battery service, and the stuff I would have to do at DMV if not for AAA. I have my car insurance with them also.

COMMENT 370625 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-04 09:08 AM

OP here; thanks for the comments. I am selling an equipment trailer with "Special Equipment" license plates. CA DMV went to "paperless titles" a few years back. Buyer wants to take trailer to Arizona, but will need to show title to bring into Arizona.

Local DMV says to fill out Form 4017, “Transfer without Certificate of Title” but this method won’t work for buyer moving equipment out-of-state. So DMV says fill out “Request for Certificate of Title” (the other side of Form 4017) and then wait for title to arrive and then transfer title the old-fashioned way. But two separate agents at DMV Sacramento say they’ve stopped issuing paper titles – they say best I can do is produce a “Bill of Sale” which buyer doesn’t want and so I am confused.

Because this involves commercial (not personal) equipment, I did not think AAA would address it; but will find out!