Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 55.0°F | Humidity: 97% | Pressure: 29.85in (Rising) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 1.6mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15844 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Gawk at the Hawk
updated: Jan 31, 2013, 12:40 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

An Edhatter found this hawk in their front yard tree at Miramonte and Isleta.

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 369526 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 03:00 PM

Cool. I'm a bird dork but can't tell what that one is.

COMMENT 369558 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 03:53 PM

At first glance, I thought this was an adult Red-shouldered Hawk, but now I think its an adult Cooper's Hawk. It is busty and appears to have a short, black-and-white tail (Rs Hawk features), but I think the light and angle are playing tricks. The dark crown and lack of contrasting black and white on the wing suggest that this is a puffed-up, adult Cooper's Hawk. Was the photo taken on a chilly morning?

COMMENT 369640P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 08:30 PM

I LOVE bird dorks. Some day I may be one. I am still learning.

My vote is for the Cooper's, as Red-shouldered hawks have a lot more red and not so much the dark dark back. It does look like a Cooper's tail to me, too.

Please don't torment us with any more long-distance blurry bird photos. That said, I am glad you had some great views of any kind of hawk.

COMMENT 369813 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 09:33 AM

Your torment is your responsibility, never the poster's. It was close, not far. The tree was short. It was in a front yard in a neighborhood. the hawk is very small, much smaller than a Cooper's. It was fluffed up, but not because it was cold out. It was an unusual place to see a hawk hanging out for a protracted time period, not bothered by gawking passersby or veh. traffic. Perhaps the sweet critter is ill? One of the wildlife care organizations might want to swing by there and check on the hawk.

COMMENT 369820P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 09:43 AM

I wish some birder on Edhat would give a definite way to tell the difference between Cooper's and Red-Shouldered. One of the two comes regularly to sit fairly near our back window and I get out the bird book and...still no luck at identification.

COMMENT 369886 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 11:17 AM

640.... torment? Really? Just because a few Edhatters know how to take good bird pictures does not preclude everyone else from wanting to share theirs.

Just as you're still learning to be a bird dork but offer up your opinions anyway some of us are still learning to be photo dorks (or just learning to use our cameras/smartphones) should also be allowed to offer up our imperfect photos. That's not too democratic for you, is it?

COMMENT 369892 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 11:30 AM

If it's too small to be a Cooper's, maybe a Sharp-shinned? They winter here.

COMMENT 369916 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 11:53 AM

I think it's a Coopers by the banded tail. 820 go get a Sibley bird book or go to the Ornethology website.

COMMENT 369920 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 11:56 AM

If the bird comes to ground or seems to be in distress where it can be reached...you should call the wildlife center immediately at 681-1080. As long as he is up in the tree he seems to be fine...they often sit for hours watching for small prey on the ground. I have a neighbor hawk I can walk right under as well.

COMMENT 370067P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 06:36 PM

If it is as small as stated (smaller than a Coopers) it is likely to be a Sharp-shinned Hawk. I have one that visits my avocado tree and hunts at my bird feeders here in Carpinteria. A beautiful little creature and not terribly shy. I have good pictures of it and if I can figure out how to send them I will.

COMMENT 370095 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 07:54 PM

Dear Edhatters, Op here - Yes! I believe it was a sharp shinned hawk! Thank you very much for your feedback - I haven't seen this species up close and personal like this before, and now I know how to ID this bird. I went to allaboutbirds.org and played the sound of the call (which sounded like the call of "my" bird) and read the description there, which it fits to a T.

27% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.