Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 68.9°F | Humidity: 83% | Pressure: 29.89in (Rising) | Conditions: Overcast | Wind Direction: ENE | Wind Speed: 1.2mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login Edhat, where you create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15650 Subscribers

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Hot Dawg!
updated: Jan 31, 2013, 10:30 AM

By Edhat Subscriber

I saw these last month at the end of Kellogg, they were being detailed. I had heard they originated in SB and had seen them once or twice over the years but this was unusual I thought. Just caught with my dumb phone. I recall I sat in one as a child in LA about 1969 or so for a birthday, then my Dad took me to a Laker game, it was a bit of a drive from Canoga Park. It looked pretty different then and I got a free whistle too.

# # # #

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 369394 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 10:50 AM

Love this - brings back memories of seeing them all around town when I was a kid 15 years ago. Thanks for sharing!

COMMENT 369400 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 10:57 AM

awesome...my dream RV!

COMMENT 369406P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 11:00 AM

There is more than one?!.

NATURE BOY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 11:04 AM

There are currently eight active Wienermobiles, six of which are the full-sized familiar models (the other two are the Mini and the food truck versions) with each assigned a part of the country. The "hotdogger" position of driving the Wienermobile is open to U.S. citizens, and the job lasts from the first of June until the following first of June. Only college seniors who are about to graduate are eligible. Both current hotdoggers and Oscar Mayer recruiters visit college campuses across the country in search of the next round of hotdoggers. Candidates are screened from an average of 2000 applicants. Every March, a pool of thirty final-round candidates are brought to Kraft Foods and Oscar Mayer headquarters in Madison, Wisconsin, for interviews. Each vehicle can hold two hotdoggers, and twelve people are chosen. Currently there are about 300 hotdogger alumni. U.S. Congressman Paul Ryan was not a hotdogger, but reportedly drove the Wienermobile one time as a guest during a summer job as a Kraft sales representative.

COMMENT 369417 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 11:15 AM

Those are very shiny wieners!

COMMENT 369422 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 11:30 AM

I was visiting friends last fall in Canoga Park and a man at the gathering looked mildly familiar.

After chatting with him it turned out he was Andy Lambros, the child actor who made the wonderful Oscar Mayer commercials in the early 70s.

DDPHOTOGRAPHY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 01:03 PM

WOW....Memories.....thanks for sharing!! Haven't see the Wiener Mobile in years!!

COMMENT 369495P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 02:06 PM

Darn you! Now I'm signing, "Oh I wish I was an Oscar Meyer Weiner.
That is what I'd really like to be-ee-ee.
'Cause if I was an Oscar Meyer Weiner,
Everyone would be in love with me-ee-ee."

NATURE BOY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 04:48 PM

Reminds me of the Onion headline:

Field-Trip Mishap Fulfills Child's Wish To Be Oscar Mayer Wiener

COMMENT 369673P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 10:05 PM

Many thanks to OP and to Nature Boy. Love the information and fun. Can still hear the "toot" of the horn. The drivers must have good stories to tell.

COMMENT 369708 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 06:55 AM

Do they still give out the free whistle? I had one growing up in the fifties. I also had the toy wienermobile. I loved Hot Oscar Meyer Wieners in Barbara Ann bun's with mustard and sweet relish. What ever became of Barbara Ann?

COMMENT 369746 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 08:05 AM

They make the weinermobiles at the end of Kellogg.

COMMENT 369749 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 08:11 AM

Just another treasure to be found in Old Town Goleta!

COMMENT 369752 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 08:16 AM

Maybe Kellog in that area should be renamed: Wiener Avenue

COMMENT 369757P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 08:21 AM

...so what's the rolling stock under all that fiberglass?

COMMENT 370006 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 03:02 PM

I work in an office on Kellogg, and it sure is fun to see them drive by! It just doesn't get old.

9746: I know they service them on Kellogg, whether or not they were made there is questionable.....

9752: That would be funny! But I'm not sure if I want to direct clients to Wiener Ave..... :/

COMMENT 370024 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 03:55 PM

Last year I passed one down by the airport on S. Fairview. Made me grin and honk.

41% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.