Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 60.2°F | Humidity: 99% | Pressure: 29.91in (Rising) | Conditions: Mostly Cloudy | Wind Direction: ENE | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login Edhat, where you create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15649 Subscribers

Lemon Festival
Lemon Festival

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Tell them you found them on Edhat!
www.edhat.com/referrals

Browsing on Broken Glass
updated: Jan 31, 2013, 8:52 AM

It finally happened. I broke the glass screen on my iPhone. The Apple store wants too much money to fix it. Has anybody used any other sources in town? Thank you very much.

Places People Are Talking About:

MacMechanic

What People Are Saying:

COMMENT 369365 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 09:00 AM

Look on Craigslist, there are several iphone screen repair services listed there.Have never used them personally.

COMMENT 369366 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 09:02 AM

Just curious - how much did Apple want to replace the glass?

COMMENT 369369 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 09:43 AM

the wrong side of $100. by quite a bit......the cl prices look much better. thanks.

COMMENT 369370P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 09:44 AM

Do NOT use Brian Kovarik, aka The iDoctor . I used him to replace a cracked screen on my iPhone. Really nice guy. He came to meet me quickly replaced the screen. Unfortunately he used really cheap parts and the proximity sensor wouldn't work anymore, which meant I hung up on people and hit buttons with my cheek 100% of the time I put the phone to my ear. I called him back and he told me there was no way to fix the proximity sensor and to use a bluetooth device or a earplug. So I called Cel Tek and talked the guy there. He promised he could fix that problem by replacing the screen with a higher quality part. He did and the phone works perfectly now, but that was another $85 - would have been $95 but I mentioned Edhat and got $10 off. I wish I would have taken it to Cel Tek in the first place. Or better yet, Mac Mechanic, but I was looking for a deal.

COMMENT 369375 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 09:58 AM

I used clear contact paper on my son's ipod. He shattered the whole lower screen. It kept the shards in place and the entirety of the touch screen still worked like a gem. It lasted for about six months and then just replaced it when the corners started to pull up. I cut it big enough to tuck in under the case and cut out where the buttons were. For a couple of bucks, it would have 'repaired' hundreds of screens.....

COMMENT 369381 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 10:12 AM

do it yourself
Broke mine and took about 5 minutes to do, bought the parts on amazon (make sure you buy the screen and touch pad as a unit) and also buy the seperate tool kit, total cost about $25. Video's on you tube show exactly how to do it. undo 2 screws, lift out old screen, undo 3 small ribbon cables, lift in new screen, reattach cables, lower new screen into phone case and put 2 screws back in.
Very very simple

COMMENT 369385 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 10:26 AM

I broke my screen awhile back, and ordered the replacement parts on Ebay for around $20-$25. It was actually really easy to replace myself, and I am not one for DIY projects at all. There are plenty of youtube videos that show you exactly how to do it.

COMMENT 369388 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 10:31 AM

iFixit, on the Web. Google search it. They sell the repair parts and have detailed instructions online.

COMMENT 369407 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 11:00 AM

ebay about $12

COMMENT 369437 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 11:57 AM

I used these guys and they were great. They come right to your house, on time and professional. The guy fixed my phone right at my kitchen table and was on his way.

I was a very satisfied customer and would use them again in a second.

COMMENT 369447 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 12:40 PM

Cell Tek in Old Town Goleta replaced the glass in my iPad. $180, repaired the frame, done when they promised. Not affiliated just a customer. 770-2533

DDPHOTOGRAPHY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 01:05 PM

In Ventura, at the mall there is a Kiosk (sorry, can't remember the name) in the middle of the mall by the elevators and he does a great job repairing iphones. I think it's around $50, but not positive.

COMMENT 369464 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 01:29 PM

I have used Bryan Kovarick for 5 different iPhones. He is Excellent. Affordable. I'd recommend him again and again!!!!! Broken screens, frozen phone, battery, water damage, he's fixed it all for me.
IDoctor
805.452.0621

Tell him Connie sent you!

COMMENT 369480 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 01:48 PM

If it's an iPhone 4S or earlier, it's easy to DIY as suggested above, but if it's an iPhone 5, then your options for saving even a couple of $ are few. If the former, then you might consider going through your carrier and replacing it for under $100, assuming you're up for an "upgrade".

COMMENT 369493 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 02:00 PM

I have used Brian Kovarik as well, and he did good work. I would recommend him as well.

BECKY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 02:30 PM

Earlier THIS week, same question, but about iPhone rather than iPad. http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=108021
Wouldn't the fixes & fixers be similar?

COMMENT 369530 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 03:17 PM

Becky: The link you listed is this thread, the ipad thread posted 2 days ago can be found by searching for "ipad". I would also assume You have to remember that the referral thread isn't updated too frequently - there is only one "iphone" listing and it's not for a broken screen (and I recall reading TONS of these threads, so I know they are there!). And not everyone reads every article on edhat, so it could be easily missed. Although I agree a simple search would normally turn stuff up, I have had issues with searching for things before. For example, I just searched for "broken iphone" and the only thing that came up was a comment for a "verizon screen repair" thread (remove the "n" from broken & it comes up). The constantly repeated questions annoy me too, but it's not that unreasonable.

BECKY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 03:53 PM

Sorry. http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=107832
And you make good points about the threads not being as searchable as one might hope. I have known I saw something here earlier, and had to get quite creative in my searches to find it again, if/when I could find it again. Still... same week, almost the same topic. [None of us has time to read it all, but quickly skimming items of interest means I caught both of these.]

COMMENT 369620 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 06:29 PM

Ended up with cel tek in SB. They were fast, and much cheaper than the apple store.

Appreciate all the input.

COMMENT 369714P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 07:07 AM

Why can't Apple make these screens tougher?

COMMENT 369720 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 07:19 AM

MacMechanic - quick, easy, inexpensive. We have to pay for our clumsiness.

COMMENT 369745 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 08:05 AM

714p- corporate profit? Lack of concern for conserving resources? Quest for lightest, thinnest phone? All of the above?

COMMENT 369756 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 08:21 AM

Get rid of your iPhone. You an live without it!

COMMENT 369772 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 08:36 AM

Celltek has two locations and they fixed my shattered phone screen...highly recommend them! (805.845.3368)

COMMENT 369775 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 08:38 AM

Should of gotten an HTC phone. Better and has gorilla glass

COMMENT 370003 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 02:58 PM

RadioShack lower state has a sign on window for that they start at $69.99

COMMENT 370029 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 04:10 PM

To Becky's point - Edhat frequently puts referral questions through, when the answers have already been given. Moved to the official referral page or not - I wish staff would simply respond to the OPs email with a helpful referral link instead of just posting to Edhat. For frequent readers it's becoming tiresome. What's the point of having a referral page, if you never ask users to use it?

GARFIELD agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 06:55 PM

MacMechanic

JUKINJAY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-01 09:37 PM

There's a good cell phone repair shop in old town Goleta right next door to the Hamburger Habit. Fast and reasonable.

COMMENT 370524 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-02-03 04:20 PM

375- It is people like you who will save our economy. Great money saving idea.

COMMENT 548374 agree helpful negative off topic

2014-08-27 01:58 PM

I hired Bryan Kovarick, and while he was nice and came to me, he uses lower quality/used parts. I asked him to replace my battery with a new one, and he gave me a battery with over 1,000 charge cycles. An actual new battery should have under 10 cycles -- 50 at most.