Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 77.7°F | Humidity: 69% | Pressure: 29.92in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 1.6mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15803 Subscribers
      685 Paid (4.3%)
     55 Commenters
     41528 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Advertising De Soto Cars
updated: Jan 30, 2013, 1:33 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

I sent you the 1935 Ambulance photo. That got so much interest I thought these might be fun for viewers.

"Advertising De Soto. Santa Barbara March 13-1934"

I don't know about the car, but I'd buy the boat in a minute! Plus, what makes the ad more successfull: one or two women on the sideboard?

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Send this picture as a postcard

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

PURPLERIDER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-30 01:55 PM

Cool pics of pics. Thanks.

COMMENT 369097P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-30 02:54 PM

Answer: Two women. Even back then, it was bound to be provocative!

COMMENT 369126 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-30 03:35 PM

Two is better than one.

COMMENT 369138P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-30 03:54 PM

love the fender "skirts"

COMMENT 369208 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-30 05:47 PM

Cool pictures. I really like historical photos of our town.

AUNTIE S. agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-30 06:13 PM

One woman - and that's a running board, son.

COMMENT 369229 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-30 07:31 PM

OP here: Auntie S, you are so right. I knew that as soon as I sent it off, but....

FLICKA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 07:23 AM

Great old photos, keep them coming. Loved it when cars had running boards, my aunt would let us ride out the driveway on them. I really miss wind-wings, like to drive with my window open. 2 in the picture makes it look casual, adds more interest.

COMMENT 369334 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 08:10 AM

This was obviously back when there was no marinas. My parents had a boat and like all of those in the picture (i.e. the smaller ones not the big yacht in the backround) boats were moored to buoys. To get to your boat you needed a litle skiff and rowed out to it. You could either tie your skiff to the buoy when you went boating or you could pull it along behind your boat and use it as a life boat. When you got back you tied up your boat to your buoy and rowed back to shore. The marinas were constructed in the 1960's.

COMMENT 369349P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 08:35 AM

I also miss wind wings, so much! Perfect cross ventilation. My dad's '69 pickup had step sides, and my brother and I used to ride on them. Step sides today have barely enough room for your toes, but it's nice to see a little reminder of the great running boards of yore.

Women on the sideboard is another thing entirely...

That classic yacht looks very close to shore, like you could wade out to it.

SBALAX agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 10:19 AM

Actually, this car does have fender skirts on the rear wheels. The last family car that I remember having them was a 1953 Olds. By the time my dad bought a 1956 Olds Super 88 they were gone. For some reason I remember the colors of that car -- Shantung Beige and Citadel Bronze. It was one of those stylish two tones where the top and hood and part of the side was one color (Beige) and the trunk and rest of the car the other (Bronze). It was a great looking car! (It was also the last car he bought without A/C.

COMMENT 369660P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-31 09:18 PM

Fender skirts remained available as an option into the 1960's. I remember them well on our 56 Olds 88 and 57 Chevy 210, and remember seeing them on a 61 Chevy and on a 62 Lincoln.

67% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.