Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 53.8°F | Humidity: 51% | Pressure: 30.13in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise
  login You create the news! Send your news item to ed@edhat.com

15903 Subscribers
      666 Paid (4.2%)
     136 Commenters
     82639 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Free Flu Shots
Free Flu Shots

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Where the Wild Things Are
updated: Jan 23, 2013, 8:35 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

Here's a little bit of wilderness on the Riviera today. We think it's a Lynx Bobcat. Beautiful creature, enjoying the scenery.

# # # #

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 08:50 PM

Cool little booger used to have one down here in the HOOD until they started working on the 101. Nice picture thank you..

COMMENT 366789P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 09:51 PM

WOW! I'd freak out if I got that close/that good a pic. Thanks!
definitely picture of the day-worthy.

COMMENT 366791P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 09:54 PM

Though the sun bursting through the clouds from Elings is my favorite of the day.
Thanks, photographer.

COMMENT 366795P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 10:17 PM

Looks like a big house cat except for the ears. Are you concerned that they are getting too close to your home?

COMMENT 366799P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 10:26 PM

95P, what would too close be? I don't think they kill people or break in and mess with the DVR.
But seriously, people should practice what's called "vexing" if they find wildlife getting too comfortable close to humans. One person's neat wildlife is another persons potential shooting target. A healthy distance is best for all. Vexing means you do things to keep the animal from thinking of humans as providers of food and you scare them away if they are lingering too close or becoming dependent on pet food, garbage, etc.

COMMENT 366807P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-24 01:26 AM

799p..795p here....You spoke quite eloquently where I was a bit vague. Of course only fools would take it to mean them breaking in armed or unarmed. While I would be fascinated by such a gorgeous animal, I wouldn't want the added worry of it being nearby and attacking myself or my animals. I would much rather have to go see them instead of them coming to see me. Now this will spark a snarky thread about us being in their habitat etc..... and how they are declining etc..... that is all well and good, but my observation was just that. An observation. Just a observation. Nothing more or less.

COMMENT 366811P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-24 06:05 AM

OP: Great, great pic. Love it. However:
There is no such thing as a "Lynx bobcat." As you will read, via above link, these cats are the same genus, but different species.

One lives in our area (bobcat) and the other (lynx) lives at higher elevations and hunts in the snow. They look different, and one is larger than the other.

@795: pot calling kettle, etcetera. snarkster.

COMMENT 366836 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-24 07:24 AM

What's with all the bobcats? Before this year, I never saw one. This year I have not only seen the family hanging around the hill behind my house (two different occasions), but I also saw one on W. Camino Cielo the other day. They have a fairly large territory, but that one family could not account for all the recent sightings from Los Carneros to the Riviera.

COMMENT 366844 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-24 07:34 AM

@SMAC spate of recent fires maybe? Better forage for his part of the Food chain hence population expansion?

COMMENT 366851P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-24 08:04 AM

They like to eat rats and rabbits so there's lots of food around here for them.

COMMENT 366854 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-24 08:05 AM

850, yes, always try the sentence with me by itself, to see if it makes sense. I am still confused.

COMMENT 366889 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-24 08:51 AM

Not a bobcat. Perhaps a feral cat. You can see the characteristics of a typicl bobcat in the earlier post, unfortunately one about a deceased bobcat. Although that bobcat was obviously undernourished and very skinny, (and apparently because of that famine) had fed on poisoned squirrel bait or possibly a poisoned squirrel, which ultimatey proved to be fatal. You can still see the classic features of a bobcat in the pictures provided.

COMMENT 366935 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-24 09:59 AM

889: I don't know. I think it look like a bobcat - the markings and the ear tips. Can't see the tell-tale tail, though I'm sure the OP saw it considering how close they were.
Also, loved 799P's comment. Informative and funny. I wouldn't worry about a bobcat attacking you, 795. They are a bit small to attack humans. If you have pets, you should be careful with them (not let them out at night, indoor cats, keep chicken well-cooped, etc.).

COMMENT 366951 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-24 10:24 AM

It's a Bobcat folks. (Lynx rufus) Latin name.
They prey mainly on Birds and small mammals like rabbits and rodents but will eat insects, chickens, even small deer. Only harmful if cornered or rabbid otherwise will always avoid humans so if you get lucky enough to photograph one your lucky; take it from a wildlife photographer.

COMMENT 366968P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-24 10:54 AM

951: Thanks for clarifying! Sure has been amusing reading the comments!

COMMENT 367156P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-24 06:42 PM

Potatio potatto. Why is everyone so focused on grammar, being right, and being mean? I remember a time not so long ago where this used to be an informative site to go to for questions, news items, and referrals without fear of recrimination. What has happened to us to make us so aggressive and obsessed? Just asking.

COMMENT 367223P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-24 11:55 PM

People who live in Glass houses should never throw stones.

65% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 2 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.