Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 56.3°F | Humidity: 91% | Pressure: 30.02in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: NE | Wind Speed: 2.2mph [see map]

Free Newsletter

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Gun Shot
updated: Jan 22, 2013, 1:36 PM

1144: Gun shot at a campsite off Figueroa Mountain Road. Exact location unknown, sounds like a suicide.

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 366193 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 02:09 PM

Why assume suicide? It could be someone shooting squirrels, rabbits, or birds.

COMMENT 366196 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 02:12 PM

Or they could be mad at a neighboring camper.

COMMENT 366197 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 02:13 PM

11-44 is a deceased person call. Rodger is not making assumptions.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 02:24 PM

I only heard it once sounded like a suicide..Maybe I should have explained it more sorry..1144 is a dead body.

COMMENT 366213P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 02:37 PM

Regardless of whatever happened a person is dead. A dead dog and now a dead person, it has been a sad day today.

COMMENT 366224 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 02:55 PM

The dog happened on the 15th.

COMMENT 366402 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 07:52 PM

Yes it was a suicide. He was a dear friend of my boyfriend. So sad and tragic. : (

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 07:55 PM

I'm sorry for your loss..

COMMENT 366408 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 08:03 PM

Thank you. Apparently a wonderful man (I was supposed to meet him this week). Please people, if you think someone has depression step in and try to help.

COMMENT 366442P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 09:18 PM

So so sad and so sorry for your loss. Is there something you can share with us about this person, or what prompted him to lose hope?

COMMENT 366464P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 12:42 AM

I'm a bit irked at one or more people asking for personal details on recent deceased members of our community. This is no one's business.

COMMENT 366469P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 03:20 AM

464 - Have you head of a newspaper obituary, which is a paid service and costs similar to a classified ad? An online tribute at websites that specialize in that? Facebook or blog tributes? It's pretty normal for loving family members or friends to share something about a departed soul. The process both for the person sharing and the reader is generally a positive one.

It also prompts others to appreciate not only the departed's life, but life and living in general. Showing interest to what happened to this person isn't a morbid curiosity, it's a compassionate interest. We are all brothers and sisters you know in the eyes of the The Universe (thats my opinion anyway).

COMMENT 366474 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 06:53 AM

I didn't know him personally only through my dear friend. Out of respect for the family I shouldn't say exactly why but I believe long term substance abuse played a roll. :( along with depression.

COMMENT 366499 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 08:05 AM

I feel worse about the dog

COMMENT 366516 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 08:51 AM

366474, guess you have not had to pay for an obit lately,, they cost hundreds,,, I think we are curious because we know people in the area and want to be sure it wasn't someone we knew

COMMENT 366521P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 09:13 AM

Condolences to all involved.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 09:45 AM

I read an article in Noozhawk the other day which said something about free obits..

COMMENT 366572P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 11:46 AM

No moral compass? No problem! Welcome to the New Normal where tedious boundaries are flushed down the memory hole.

When you solicit details on the hows and whys of someone's demise, you have crossed the line. It's repugnant. You can peddle your demented reasoning all you want. I don't have to buy.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 01:06 PM

I publish public suicides..I am sorry if someone chooses to do the deed in public but that is their choice.

COMMENT 366615 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 01:12 PM

I always used to wonder what was so bad that you would want to end your life (speaking of people who are physically healthy) when I was younger. I think most of us have to admit that you hit low points in your life - it can be really hard. Most of us turn to friends, family, counselors or frankly, things to help us through. Some don't - they either won't or can't. It makes me sad when I read a story like this. I hope his friends and family have closure and peace eventually.

COMMENT 366626P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 01:37 PM

Only speaking from what I've gathered and gleaned from my years on this planet, I don't think it's always a wish to die. I think it's a wish to escape a pain that most people never feel. The deceased may understand that the condition is temporary but the grief felt at the moment is so overwhelming that the person just wants it to just stop. I've tried to make some sense out of it, myself, when someone I knew decided to leave us forever. It's been some years since that happened but it feels like yesterday.

52% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.