Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 76.3°F | Humidity: 70% | Pressure: 30.07in (Rising) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 3.1mph [see map]

Free Newsletter
Advertise

15426 Subscribers
      699 Paid (4.5%)
     31 Commenters
     40233 Page Views

The Winehound
The Winehound

Advertise on Edhat
Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

Local Stories by Local People
updated: Jan 22, 2013, 1:24 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

Dan Seibert responds to the Independent article regarding the dog that was recently shot and killed. [pics] (01/23/13)
125 add

Back to Main Story

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 366176 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 01:30 PM

I was mtn biking off highway 33 last Summer when I was terrorized by a couple of dogs. The owner finally appeared down canyon and called them back. They returned to him only reluctantly after his repeated yelling at them. Now I carry pepper spray and hope I don't need it.

COMMENT 366177 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 01:34 PM

Carry pepper spray and keep your dogs on leash brahs. Sad situation for all involved and could have been involved by following the advice above. Also if you have very small dogs please don't take the hiking or trail running off-leash, better yet just leave them at home. Saw a extremely small chihuahua get killed a few weeks ago on a local trail.

CAPTAIN HALEY agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 01:35 PM

What a sad story for all involved!

COMMENT 366181 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 01:46 PM

176: Thanks for carrying pepper spray. It would suck to have to use it, but better than a dead dog (or person). And I'm sorry that happened to you.
So incredibly sad for everyone.

COMMENT 366183P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 01:51 PM

This is outrageous. Its one thing to carry and use pepper spray [which by the way I might use on some of the out of control mountain bikes that I've encountered on trails]. But to discharge a shotgun, at a dog??? This is an insane society, increasingly so. Beyond tragic.

COMMENT 366186 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 01:54 PM

To a man with a hammer, everything is a nail.

The shooter should be arrested and never allowed to own a firearm again. What a jerk. Total overkill. Literally.

Too bad the courts rule that dogs are property and thus only able to be valued at market value... I'd make sure to sue him anyway and then post his name and pic on the web under "dog murderer" and assure that it was there for life...

Nothing about this story makes me believe he was in and actual danger, nothing. Why couldnt the other guy have hit the dog? Oh because they're moron hunters, that's why and to a moron hunter, every animal is a target.

COMMENT 366189 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 01:58 PM

Too many illegal hunters back there, I see them just about every time I venture into that part of county.

COMMENT 366194 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 02:09 PM

Very sad for all involved. I appreciate that all parties went to the authorities to report the incident in a non-confrontational manner. That is not the outcome I expected.

COMMENT 366195 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 02:10 PM

Don't think one would hunt pigs with a shotgun. I would guess a rifle.

COMMENT 366198 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 02:16 PM

Keep dogs in sight at all times in the wilderness, they might be mistaken for a pig. Why are hunters such wusses?

COMMENT 366202 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 02:22 PM

Sad story, but some of you are so biased you couldn't possible judge this situation fairly. It does seem an unwarranted response on the face of it. However, I wasn't there. I will also say any dog that attacks another human, unprovoked in this situation, was dangerous and shouldn't have been allowed off leash. How aggressive does a dog need to be before defending yourself or another person? Do you need to have it bite you while you're on the ground?

COMMENT 366215 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 02:38 PM

Yes, a very sad situation for everyone involved.

I too am impressed that all parties went to the authorities to report the it in a non-confrontational way.

COMMENT 366219 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 02:41 PM

Once again, the ignorant responses always disapppoint. A dog, is a very dangerous animal. It had a person on the ground and appearing to be ready to possibly inflict a mortal wound. Though very sad, the hunter appears to have quickly run out of non-lethal options. IF your young son or daughter was lying on their back on the ground and a vicious dog is about to rip them to shreds, there is not one of you that would not be willing to kill that dog to save your child. This is no different. It is a tragedy, but no one can logically argue that the man's life was worth less than the dog's in this instance. Since every mention was made to the hunters being there legally, and hunting legally, the discussion of illegal and irresponsbile hunters is a pretty pathetic one, so the libs can just wrap it up now. This is really a very one issue discussion.

COMMENT 366220 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 02:47 PM

183- usually pig hunters use rifles, not shotguns. That would be inhumane.

If the dog was acting like it was going to bite the hunter (who may have smelled like pig blood, depending on if the hunt was successful) then I think it was sad, but justified. Better to use pepper spray but if you don't have that, a gun serves that purpose too, in a pinch. I'm just glad the dog didn't suffer and they got a clean shot, rather than the dog owner getting sued by an injured bitten person. As someone maimed by a supposedly 'friendly' off leash dog for no reason, I side with the hunter, and wish I had had a big stick, knife, pepper spray, or gun to defend myself at the time. If you can't keep your dogs in sight and under control, don't let them run off leash.

That said, I love dogs, and am sad to hear the outcome of this story. I hope both parties learned something from this.

COMMENT 366227 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 02:58 PM

Dog owners when are you going to get it. Your animal is your responsibility and problem. Not mine and not the hunters. Yours. We, the rest of the world besides you, don't owe you anything in terms of not putting up a defense against an aggressive acting dog.

We don't have to wait and see what happens in a situation like this. Dogs can and do kill people. It's not my job to assess your dogs particular characteristics and behavioral modalities like some seer or dog psychologist.

My neighbors know it and now you do too- control your dog or someone else is going to do it for you. Period. No whining. If you can't handle being a dog owner with all that it entails, which is a lot, then get another animal or better yet nothing.

COMMENT 366233 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:09 PM

Time for a joke :) TOP TEN REASONS MEN PREFER GUNS OVER WOMEN:
#10 - You can trade an old 44 for a new 22.

#9 - You can keep one gun at home and have another for when you're on the road.

#8 - If you admire a friend's gun and tell him so, he will probably let you try it out a few times.

#7 - Your primary gun doesn't mind if you keep another gun for a backup.

#6 - Your gun will stay with you even if you run out of ammo.

#5 - A gun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.

#4 - Guns function normally every day of the month.

#3 - A gun doesn't ask, "Do these new grips make me look fat?"

#2 - A gun doesn't mind if you go to sleep after you use it.

And the Number One reason
Why Men Prefer Guns over women.. #1 - You can buy a silencer for a gun.

COMMENT 366234P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:11 PM

this never would have happened if the dog was leashed.

COMMENT 366236 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:15 PM

This was 100% legal. NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, it is TOTALLY LEGAL to shoot a dog that is attacking you.

Same thing for a mountain lion, etc.

Sad, yes...illegal, no.

COMMENT 366238 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:18 PM

233 - So you hate women too. Awesome.

COMMENT 366239 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:20 PM

183P: I'm a mountainbiker and have been long before you and you ever even knew the back country existed. Pray we never meet up there somewhere, and pray even further you don't feel bold enough to use your little pepper spray on me. You will likely end up just as the dog in this story did.

COMMENT 366241P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:22 PM

If there's one thing you can count on, it's the animal nuts on this site to come unglued. Animals over humans. What a sick bunch.

COMMENT 366244 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:25 PM

Wow, some nonsensical posts here. An animal unsupervised on a trail is not a pet, it is not predictable, and it is not safe. If it acts in a threatening way it is a wild animal. Unless you were there you can't judge. If these weren't hunters with guns but instead a couple guys out for a hike, and they got bit by a dog the responses would be blasting irresponsible dog owners. But so many of you would rather ignore the fact (the absent owner) and make wild assumptions.

I feel very bad for the man that lost his dog, I have dogs and work hard to improve the lives of many other dogs. I am a "lib". And I reserve judgement on these hunters.

COMMENT 366245 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:26 PM

Humans are animals too. :)

COMMENT 366247 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:29 PM

239 Glad for the warning, guess that's why I am armed in the back country

COMMENT 366248 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:32 PM

236... apparently the dog was NOT attacking but exhibiting an aggressive posture. NOT grounds for a death sentence. Whatever the reason for the dog's posture it does not appear to have warranted a lethal response from what appear to be trigger happy hunters.

YES, the dog owner should have had his dogs leashed or at least within his control. Both parties are in the wrong but neither one was committing a capital offense that called for a death sentence.

D8VANILLA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:33 PM

@222 - How would the hunters know this was a "pet"?? The owner was nowhere in sight. Even if it was a "pet", it was barking and acting aggressive towards them and the owner was NOT controlling the dog in any way.

Very sad for everyone involved.

COMMENT 366252 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:37 PM

@247 I highly doubt you are... but maybe we'll meet and find out someday. When you least expect it, look around. I might just be there.

COMMENT 366254 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:40 PM

I have been in contact with the owner of the dog that was shot. I'll post some photos of "Billy" in the next hour and you can judge for yourself what a threat he was.

COMMENT 366256 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:46 PM

If the hunter was out of line then an arrest would have been made. Likely this is simply a situation where the dog owner could have exercised better judgement and the hunter likely did fear for his safety ( a 50lb dog is a "common weight" for european police dogs. a 50lb dog can still exert an incredible force )

Sadly the dog owner placed his pets in this position. Being a dog owner my heart goes out to you, but you should should have known better.

COMMENT 366257 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:49 PM

@248 Does a dog need to bite you before it is called an attack? What about the moments before the bite, are you under attack then?

COMMENT 366259P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:52 PM

Dan39. Thank you. The idea that the dog was so vicious and threatening it had to be shot is one that causes me pause.....too many trigger happy people of all persuasions in this country.

COMMENT 366260 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:54 PM

Geez, if I came upon strange smelling men with guns, I certainly would take a defensive posture. Afterall, his Dad was there and it was his job to protect him. He died while valiantly guarding his owner.This dog reacted in a normal way, the hunters on the other hand, did not. 233, your joke is not funny, considering the times we live in. Besides, if a guy prefers guns over a healthy relationship with a woman, he most definitely has issues.

COMMENT 366262 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:57 PM

248: How was the hunter supposed to know aggression from attacking. 202 had a point - do you have to let the dog bite you while you're lying on the ground before it's ok to shoot it? I'm an animal person - I volunteered at the shelter, and ADORE pit bulls and other large dogs. Yet I understand what happened (and I somehow don't think using a firearm as a club is a wise decision, despite what others have suggested). Both the hunter & the owner were saddened by the events that took place. I appreciate that they both seemed more reasonable than many of the commenters here. I'm one of the people who would have died to save my pet & defending the people recently who have lost their life protecting their dog. However, I think the vitriol spewed in this thread is insane and makes me think of PETA nuts. Some of you guys are cray cray. (Threatening to shoot & kill someone if they mace you because you nearly run them down on a back trail? CRA-ZY!)

COMMENT 366263P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 03:58 PM

@260 your fantastic work of fiction in assuming what happend must allow you to clutch dogmatically to your limited view of the world.

COMMENT 366266 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:05 PM

No, Dan, we will not be able to judge from a nice little photo taken of this dog, and it's not relevant. The dogs behavior on the trail is relevant, which was to protect it's owner. Too bad the owner didn't tune into the responsibility of an owner which is to be the LEAD PACK DOG. That's right, as the owner you are the leader of the pack, dogs being pack animals. What, we have to explain this here?

Look, none of us wants to see a dog killed, or to have to kill one, but nor do we want to see dogs biting, mauling and harassing people. What happens to the mauled? They get a weak 'Sorry, man' and that's it until they get the lawyer involved.

Sure, on the trail I would like my dogs to roam. But did I forget something? Something important that involves considering others? I am not the only one on the trail! Photo-shmoto. Guilt tripping won't work.

COMMENT 366270P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:08 PM

I was not there so do not know what happened. I love dogs and have lived with the my entire life. I have owned dogs that were considered extremely friendly that have acted in an aggressive manner when they felt that either they or myself were threatened. Dogs are not always predictable. In hindsight, the hunter probably could have taken different action but he wasn't thinking, he was reacting to what he perceived as an immediate threat.

COMMENT 366272 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:11 PM

When a dog is out of sight of owner and feels 'threatened'(if only by the appearance of Hikers or Hunters) it's a pretty scary situation and you don't know what the dog is capable of.
I'm a Hunter and a Dog owner- as a Hunter, when I'm done hunting, my weapon is un-loaded & cleared.
When walking my dogs, they are always on-leash or in my sight & under control.
I feel sorry for both parties here-it's something that neither will ever forget.

COMMENT 366274 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:15 PM

I think the jokes are pretty funny - and I'm a woman. Mellow out, people. As for the incident, it's hard to know since we weren't there. apparently, the dog was farther than the length of the shotgun, so it doesn't sound like it intended to bite. Dogs that bite generally go right in and bite. They do not usually stand and bark, then run in and bite. You'd think hunters would have some experience in understanding animal behavior...
My dog might very well act just the same in that circumstance. I am still training him, so I try not to let him off leash where he'd encounter a situation where he may feel defensive.
Congratulations to both parties for being responsible and going to the authorities. Let's all try to give each other credit for trying to do the right thing, but being human, sometimes making mistakes.

COMMENT 366275P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:16 PM

Sorry for the owner, but he/she shares in the "blame" if any really needs to be assessed.

No, no photos of the dog are needed. Have no doubt he looks happy and sweet, but not relevant and no excuse for any return to photo-posting-mania.

Points for use of "dogmatically" in literal sense and (I assume) as a pun.

I realize I should know better than to weigh in on an animal-related issue here. I understand that some get a bit, can I say "obsessed," but much of this is a bit scary, not just the anger, but the "Dad" story. Yikes!

COMMENT 366277 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:17 PM

Guessing Dan's photo will not be of a chihuahua or teacup poodle.

I do not hunt, have no desire to own a gun, own a dog, own many leashes, am semi liberal and...if I felt like a dog with no visible owner and no one calling the dog off...I would probably wish I had a gun too.

Dog owners have to recognize that their rights to allow their dogs to run free do not trump the rest of the world.

Use a leash.

COMMENT 366279P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:21 PM

sad for everyone. a lot of 20/20 hindsight and conjecture flying around these comments, obviously the incident touched a nerve in the community. i'm glad the situation didn't escalate to more violence, if i came around the corner and found someone had shot my best friend i have no idea how i might react. it's possible someone would have had to put a bullet in me too.

COMMENT 366287 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:30 PM

I'm sickened, but one line stood out: both parties were distraught. In our age of tension, animosity and polarization, I am as moved positively by the cooperation the parties displayed as I am moved to tears at the death of the dog.
It's horrible to suffer this loss, and be the one who ended a life, but the people acted responsibly. Good luck to all in the reckoning/healing process...and lots of hugs and treats for the survivor dog!

COMMENT 366289 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:35 PM

Dillydally, where did you develop your theory that a dog on a trail is not a pet if it is out of sight, but instead a wild animal? I am OK with that being expressed as the way you FEEL when confronted with such, but stating it as if you are speaking universal truths is off. A dog is domesticated animal. A dog unsupervised can exhibit threatening behavior as result of its animal instincts. That may be to run, it may be to charge. There is nothing about a pet dog that qualified as a wild animal, though one can fee AS afraid as if they encountered a wild animal.
Hyperbole never helps any of these posts.

COMMENT 366291 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:36 PM

Recently an eighty year old woman was mauled by two pit bulls as she was merely walking down a residential street. Now THAT'S when it is okay to shoot. But where were you, big macho man? Sounds like the guy just used a barking dog as an excuse to shoot an innocent animal. What, didn't you kill any pigs that day? Were you bummed out? When you saw the dog you turned into little girl, and fell down. Your fault. Klutz. That sounds like peculiar behavior, and the dog knew it. Why was your gun still loaded? That's a public trail used by everyone. Anyone who defends the idiot with the gun is ignorant, to the tenth degree.

COMMENT 366294P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:40 PM

Dan, thank you for posting these pictures. What a shame and an obviously beautiful pet was slaughtered by someone who is desensitized to blowing away living things. My heart goes out to the owner.

COMMENT 366301 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:45 PM

Eddie, I guess we are disagreeing on semantics.

To me, a pet is an animal controlled by humans. An animal not under control is wild. If an animals owner is not around (the hikers had no way to tell where the owner was) then that animal is not under control therefore wild. If you disagree that is fine.

I have been around dogs my whole life and have enough experience to know that they are unpredictable in unfamiliar situations. Dog owners who think they sweet dog can not strike fear in an otherwise normal rational person are mistaken. Bread is irrelevant, some of the most aggressive dogs towards strangers are jacks and terriers.

COMMENT 366302 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:46 PM

I am the owner of the dog that was killed. His name was Billy and he was by far one of the kindest dog's I've ever known. He was a terrier. I truly wish that Mr. Ford had done more research before writing and publishing this article. There are several inaccuracies in this article, most importantly Billy's size. He was not 65 lbs. But rather 50 lbs and only 1.5 feet high. There were two hunters there and many other options besides shooting Billy. I believe that the hunters should have used their heads could have done several other things to protect themselves, including discharging the gun in the air or kicking the dog away. Billy has NEVER bitten anyone in his too short life and would have stopped barking, because that's all he was doing, if the hunter had used another course of action.What would make me happy is to know that people in our community are aware that there are hunters in the back country and that something like this can happen.

COMMENT 366308 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:50 PM

If a dog comes after me I will shoot it. If you don't want it shot then just keep control of your pet.

COMMENT 366313P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 04:56 PM

All righty then, I'm a lib. I'm so lib I left the Dem party because they're too right wing for me. I also support hunting and fishing for food, and I like to eat wild pig. One of my best animal friends is a pit bull terrier who has never posed a threat to anybody, who nonetheless is kept on a choke chain outside and under voice control at all times. Terriers of any size are attack dogs. Getting gooey about it doesn't advance the truth one bit. And throwing politics into it is just lame.

COMMENT 366321 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 05:04 PM

There were many, many other ways this could have been handled.

Shooting should be the last choice. Always.

COMMENT 366338 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 05:31 PM

You are absolutely correct 321, the owner could have kept control of his pet. Then we would not be here on this topic

COMMENT 366346 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 05:42 PM

I guess I should have killed that dog that bit me at the grooming shoppe. He was arthritic and I did not have his card on file, because my former step dad needed all the files for the dogs that were groomed there, for the divorce. Well he turned around and bit my finger, and his tooth went clear through my finger. As I shook my hand to get him to let go, he whirled around and bit me in the neck. He was on a grooming table and I was trying to keep him from falling off. I am lucky to have very quick reactions, because he only caught the skin on the front of my neck. Poor guy was in terrible pain, and I had no idea. I drove myself to the hospital.

COMMENT 366349 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 05:46 PM

Ugh, so many weird gun-happy nutcases in the world, and I hate that they have to come around Santa Barbara. I wish the owner of poor Billy would sue their socks off, but I understand that would be very stressful. I am just so sorry the little fella (and no, the dog in those pictures was not large) was killed. Shall we watch as all the NRA gun nuts crawl out from underneath their rocks to defend this? Ugh

COMMENT 366351 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 05:49 PM

Exactly *where* does it say the dog had the person was on the ground and was attacking?

'According to the hunters, the dog began to bark at them and appeared to be acting in an aggressive manner. In response, one of the hunters began to back up and stumbled, falling down. He later reported to Sheriff’s Deputy David Valadez that the dog continued to bark and act in an aggressive manner, frightening the hunters enough that one of them took aim and fired.'

Right, nowhere.

The dog was barking, in a manner the hunters interpreted as aggressive. Period. The ignorance is yours, 219.

302, I'm so sorry for your loss of Billy. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you. You're right, discharging the gun in the air would have been the appropriate action if they were that frightened.

COMMENT 366354 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 06:00 PM

As has been said before ... None of us were there so we don't really know....but...what I do know is this...

Anyone that ventures into the back country with a dog had better have total control...some (very few) can maintain voice control the rest had better use a leash...and this is why..

Should your dog run into wild boar, cats, or bear..the ensuing encounter will not be pretty! In the event they run do you know where that will be? Yup, right back to you....are you prepared to handle what comes next?... I doubt it....

I don't know what the law is here but in many places dogs seen running deer are shot on sight!

When you take your favorite pal hiking with you...you may not be doing it a favor....

Condolences to the pet owner, nonetheless !

COMMENT 366357 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 06:08 PM

I can't see the photos of Billy Dan posted, and would like to. I don't agree photos of him are irrelevant.

But I do agree with this: 'Both the hunter & the owner were saddened by the events that took place. I appreciate that they both seemed more reasonable than many of the commenters here.'

COMMENT 366383 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 06:56 PM

This is horrible. People shouldn't be going around shooting dogs.

It could well be that the dog sensed something bad about the so called hunter and that is why he was barking.

What kind of coward shoots a dog who is just barking at him? This should be a crime, the hunter charged.

COMMENT 366388 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 07:07 PM

Just told my husband about this and how upsetting it was. He does not understand why the "hunter" was not arrested. It seems as though justice is not being done here.

COMMENT 366392 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 07:19 PM

And..... clearly most of you did not read the article. Just happy to get the headline and rant against the faceless bloodthirsty bruit with a gun. How does that jive with this quote from the article?

"Both the hunters and trail runner then hiked out to Upper Oso and drove to the Santa Barbara District office of Los Padres Forest near Sage Hill Campground to report the incident. According to District Ranger Pancho Smith, the situation was not confrontational; rather, one in which both parties appeared to be completely distraught."

Sounds like a thinking feeling human to me. Armchair quarterbacking is so easy.

COMMENT 366396 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 07:30 PM

Last week the owner of Billy contacted KSBY and the News Press. I could have posted this story days ago but I know how cruel the comments can be.

The report cited in the Independent was without interviews from either party. It was taken from statements to law enforcement officials. Clearly, there is more to the story.

It's a tragic story with details that I hope can be reported by professionals, whether they are from KSBY, KEYT, the News Press, or Noozhawk.

COMMENT 366399 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 07:43 PM

Having now seen the photos of Billy, as well as his write-up here on EdHat as dog of the week, I cannot fathom being afraid of him, and I say this as a 5'6" woman, weighing about 140.

Dogs often bark at a stranger. This doesn't mean aggressiveness or a precursor to attack.

For those who don't know, your best recourse under these situations is to not look at the dog (considered by dogs as aggression), and basically ignore them. If a dog is truly aggressive, that's another story. But a barking dog is most often just that: a barking dog.

COMMENT 366407 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 07:58 PM

I've just read all the posts above, and after realizing that none of them changed MY opinions on the topics involved, decided that adding those opinions would most likely have the same (lack of) effect, and therefore will abstain from spouting off, and save my passionate energies for a time when it will make a useful difference. Ahhhh, the relief.

COMMENT 366417P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 08:23 PM

@DillyDally People that shoot first and ask questions later should not be let off probably without even so much as a warning for showing feelings of "being distraught". Good thing it wasn't a screaming toddler that they didn't know how to deal with huh??

COMMENT 366428 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 08:43 PM

On a positive note (for me), I didn't know there was pig hunting around here... I've always wanted to hunt pig! Sorry for the loss of the dog, how very sad for the owner, and for the dog of course. Hopefully the circumstances will be well investigated and justice served, appropriately.

COMMENT 366436 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 08:53 PM

An unsupervised 'pet' (domesticated animal) is as predictable on a trail as a supervised one. It's not at all the same thing as a wild (undomesticated) animal.

Some have been well socialized to humans and other dogs by their human companions, and others have not. In neither case is it the fault of the dog.

I agree with you, though, that it sounds like the hunter was distraught about this unfortunate situation.

COMMENT 366458P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 11:27 PM

If a dog is thinking it might need to bite, it growls. Barking is communication. You'd think if they are hunters they might know the tiniest thing about animal behavior.

So sad; sorry for your loss to Billy's family.

ANIMALLISTNER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 11:44 PM

RIP Billy. Ian please dont back down. The pig hunters were over 6' tall, weighing over 225 LBS. Im suprised the great hunters didnt claim Billy was mistaken as a wild pig. Tell your story!

ART, Inc.

COMMENT 366471 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 06:42 AM

Everyone who is outraged over this tragedy should contact their elected representatives and stress the need to ban firearms on federal lands. Until some controls are put into place as to who can, and cannot, own firearms, we are all at the mercy of "hunters" coming down a trail with loaded weapons looking for something to shoot. For the sake of our pets, our children and ourselves use this tragedy as a catalyst to spur effective safeguards and controls.

COMMENT 366480 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 07:13 AM

My heart goes out to the owner and his other dog who may be bewildered and traumatized having witnessed his packmate's dead body and wondering where his buddy is.

The anti-dog owner attitudes give me pause. My 95lb "police dog" scares the bejeebers out of many, even when on a leash; yet he is incredibly (too) friendly. Somehow dogs tap into our reptilian fear center despite their close association with humans. Now, some would turn them out after millennia of aiding our survival and prosperity.

When walking in the wildlands, what would incite more fear, a pig on the trail, two guys with guns,, or Billy barking.

COMMENT 366488 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 07:24 AM

Shooter could have used the gun in a couple of different ways to run off the dog, pushed the dog away, fired in the air, shot at the dog's feet, the last thing should have been to shoot the dog to kill it. Why was the shooter's loaded while walking on the trail? There are so many things that didn't need to be the way they were which led to the death of a very sweet innocent dog. In the end of it all, loaded guns have one purpose, to kill or at the very least maim. When someone has a loaded gun there is 100% greater chance of an innocent victim being shot and killed than if there was no loaded gun.

COMMENT 366508 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 08:29 AM

These men are not hunters. They are cowards. A swift kick would have done the dog right. The coward obviously shot out of frustration and not fear. If fear, then he doesn't belong hunting game in the desolate wilderness. Don't act like this is excuseable. Don't act like this man's not a coward. What a pathetic example of ignorance.

COMMENT 366520P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 09:12 AM

Well, the report quotes the ranger as saying both parties were distraught. I don't know what happened; I don't know the people involved or the dog. I wasn't there, which I suspect is true for everyone on this page.

COMMENT 366528 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 09:39 AM

I don't understand why the shooter was not charged. Is it really okay to shoot someone's pet if it is barking at you? And if they claim self-defense, isn't that for the courts to sort out? It is so sad and frustrating that this happened without any legal repercussions. It just seems so wrong.

COMMENT 366546 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 10:07 AM

186 is right.

COMMENT 366557 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 10:36 AM

Didn't bag his pig, but still went home with a kill.

COMMENT 366571 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 11:45 AM

I love all the people weighing in on this topic that have no idea what they're talking about.

The hunters tried to back away from the dog, but one tripped and fell.

Boar hunting is very often done with handguns, not rifles. Didn't know that, did you?

A likely scenario is he had the pistol in a holster on his belt, and drew it and shot the dog when it charged him as he lay on his back.

COMMENT 366573 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 11:50 AM

571 - so you're admonishing the hundred people here for assuming what happened and then you make a giant assumption of your own?

That's rich...

COMMENT 366578 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 12:10 PM

No 573, I'm admonishing them for not having the slightest idea of what they're talking about. And now I'm admonishing you for your poor reading comprehension skills.

COMMENT 366601 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 12:55 PM

366471 - You say, "Until some controls are put into place as to who can, and cannot, own firearms, we are all at the mercy of "hunters" coming down a trail"

We already have those laws in place that define who can own a gun.

You say, "For the sake of our pets, our children and ourselves use this tragedy as a catalyst to spur effective safeguards and controls."

On this trail, I was not aware of any humans being killed in this incident or past incidents. Have there been such tragedies? This was a sad event, but I do not see the need for new laws, but perhaps education for both hunters and pet owners.

COMMENT 366625 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 01:34 PM

I hike a lot, but haven't been on this trail. After reading this sad story, I doubt I'll ever go there. I hike with my dog, but even if I didn't, I don't want to be hiking where there are hunters armed with guns.

I'm not against responsible gun ownership, btw.

Again I give my very sincere condolences to Billy's family, and wish them comfort.

COMMENT 366628 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 01:39 PM

No matter what happened, this man shot a little dog cuz he was scared. Had he had no gun? We'd never of heard of this story because NOTHING would have happened. What? He'd fall down and get malled to death by a little dog? Strong enough to hunt boar. Weak enough to be a spaz with a gun. Proof once again why gun laws are necessary because most people are wieners.

COMMENT 366660 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 02:38 PM

Man enough to hunt a pig, but scared for your life over a barking 50 pound shaggy dog? Pussy!!!!!!!!
Stupid gun nut! Period!!

COMMENT 366674 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-23 03:34 PM

Did Billy get carried out? Or was he buried on the spot? No one has answered this. Did the hunter offer to carry the dog down the trail?

COMMENT 366895 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-24 09:05 AM

I have a friend who lives in an area that has street signs that say all off leash dogs can be shot. There are a great many horses and a lot of livestock there. People are a lot more vigilent about their dogs !

COMMENT 367180 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-24 07:45 PM

Next time the hunters are out there, they might be mistaken for bigfoot. Oops, I had to put you down, bro.

COMMENT 367216P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-24 10:31 PM

I Hate people.

20% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.

*** 2 comments were deleted from this thread by the Edhat Board Nanny for violating Edhat Comments Board policy. Click Here to see them.