Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 50.2°F | Humidity: 99% | Pressure: 30.01in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: North | Wind Speed: 0.0mph [see map]

Free Newsletter

Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Loma Alta-Tv Hill Fire
updated: Jan 21, 2013, 5:53 PM

By The Urban Hikers

545 pm: SBFD is coordinating units and evacuating Miramonte Rd. and above as structures are threatened.

6:00 pm - Taken from Las alturas rd. SBFD asking for helicopters from SB Co and Ventura co.

Now: Ok. Sounds like the fire is out and now they are mopping up. Phew!

*****

By Roger the scanner guy

Fire at Loma Alta and Cliff. Structures possibly involved. Full Response!

*****

Photos by Edhat subscribers

# # # #

# # # #

# # # #

# # # #

Photo by John Palminteri

# # # #

# # # #

KEYT NewsChannel 3 crews are on scene of a brush fire near 400 Loma Alta and Cannon Perdido, near McKinley School. (01/22/13)
195 add

Back to Main Story

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

COMMENT 365903 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 05:55 PM

Sirens like crazy near us on the 1000 block of Chino right now.

COMMENT 365904 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 05:56 PM

I was wondering the same thing, just saw it from the east side. Also heard a fire truck

COMMENT 365908P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 05:57 PM

I can see it from our place. Looks like they've knocked it down-- no more shooting plumes of fire. Agree it looks like Loma Alta--- closer to ocean than Arlington.

COMMENT 365913 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 05:59 PM

TV hill. KEYT has live coverage on now.

COMMENT 365917 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 06:02 PM

I just exited Hwy 101 at Carrillo roughly 5 minutes ago, and saw huge flames shooting up from the side of the hill to the south west of the Carrillo Street off ramp. It looks to be near the Miramonte Highlands area.

COMMENT 365919 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 06:06 PM

Three fires in one day, in a relatively linear area is arson. Hope they catch this person.

COMMENT 365920 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 06:12 PM

And this is the rainy season folks.... we got lucky. Move this to August and homes would go "poof"

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 06:12 PM

Embers are reportly falling in the 400 Block of Loma Alta..Code 2 Medics are responding.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 06:15 PM

Good I'm glad they are on it somewhat I had heard earlier structures were involved..They are saying no evacucations..

COMMENT 365923 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 06:15 PM

I know, this is really not cool. But I think it probably is 3 separate events and people, one accidental (the cigarette fire), and two probably intentional. Betting the last one is a copycat thing due to there being prior fires today in the news.

Ideas spread like... heh. Wildfire. Bad ideas more so.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 06:26 PM

Not hearing much right now about the fire did hear they need more resources as far as what they are I do not know..Sounds like it's pretty much knocked down of course they will be there awhile watching the area...If this was another warming fire? I could see things getting real serious soon..CHP is on scene.

COMMENT 365931P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 06:27 PM

Don't forget to look up at the moon and notice Jupiter next to it.

COMMENT 365935 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 06:31 PM

way to stay on topic 931P

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 06:34 PM

Jupiter is beautiful...Thanks for reminding us..

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 06:42 PM

Anyone listening to the scanner right now please do not release dialog between officers over the scanner...Investigators on scene.

COMMENT 365942 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 06:48 PM

Was it a homeless person, a careless smoker or a flower peddler that started this one? Place your bets.

COMMENT 365944P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 06:50 PM

935, the fire seems to be out, so why not enjoy the show of Jupiter and the moon?

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 06:50 PM

Please release no information I will only say there is an investigation going on..Any more information is for the Fire/Police to release.

COMMENT 365952 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 07:06 PM

Roger, I don't get it... What's the harm releasing what can be heard publicly over a scanner? It's not like cops don't know that you're listening...

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 07:18 PM

I know that I don't want the possible suspect information released. I'd like to give the police and firemen a chance to catch the scum maggot scumbag whom possibly started the fire not warn them...At this point there are several possiblities. It might have not been started by a person at all..Everyone knows there was a fire the fire is out now..

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 07:37 PM

Fire was 2 to 3 acres.

COMMENT 365959P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 07:38 PM

What is up with all the fires today? The Biltmore fire, the Bluff fire, the Channel Drive fire, the Beach fire, and now this one. I am just glad we have such well trained firefighting units in our area.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 07:42 PM

Sometimes theres alot of fires, sometimes theres alot of accidents, sometimes theres murders but they call them suicides. Just the way it rolls sometimes I hope theres no more..

COMMENT 365963P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 07:50 PM

365959 weren't the Biltmore/Channel Drive fire the same thing and beach/bluff fire a single fire also? I thought with this one its 3 not 5 fires (which is to many) I could be wrong but I think thats the number.

COMMENT 365964P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 08:00 PM

I agree with Roger Dodger - Let the Police do their investigation and don't release any info yet.

COMMENT 365973P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 08:30 PM

Thank you 931, it IS stunning.

And I wholly agree with you, Roger. You reported what is useful, let the investigators do their job. Thank you again.

and I might get deleted for this, but I'd post publicly if the site wasn't so nasty.

COMMENT 365975 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 08:36 PM

973P, that's why I'm not a member.

COMMENT 365978P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 08:44 PM

I don't find the site nasty at all. It is professionally run and the nanny does a good job keeping things more civil. Only thing I find occasionally nasty are individuals whom choose to post insulting comments now and then, but that certainly isn't the site's fault, now is it.

COMMENT 365981 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 08:58 PM

They'll ask for the publics help in two weeks after they cant figure it out themselves, then Sanchez will blame it on the realignment.

COMMENT 365983P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 09:09 PM

981.....or, perhaps it will be recorded as a "gang related" fire!

COMMENT 365989P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 11:45 PM

973P here. I agree the site is very well-moderated. I pay because it's worth it. It's still gotten nasty. I have emailed EDitors about a few posts that I considered extremely bad; they are wonderfully responsive. I've clicked a few negative buttons. Do you read every thread, 978P? I do. (My OCD is another issue!) It gets nasty and I'm not the only one to complain about it. It is my problem. Anyone can speak. If I could only just read and not post.... I'm working on impulse control. I'll print this and tape it to my computer to remind me to shut up. That will definitely help.
Very sorry for the thread jack.

ROGER DODGER agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 07:35 AM

My shut up is broken and I don't want it fixed.

COMMENT 366348P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 05:45 PM

151P - That is a really strange "hobby" of yours, correcting posters. I find it creepy that you "like(s) to correct people, when they use poor grammar or misspell" and even creepier that you advertise it as one of your passions. I personally find it very snooty, unnecessary and usually just plain mean. Perhaps you could better spend your time at the public library teaching people to read. The more one reads, the better his or her writing naturally becomes.

64% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.