Edhat
npr edvertisers
visitors movie times

Santa Barbara Weather: 70.2°F | Humidity: 62% | Pressure: 30.01in (Steady) | Conditions: Clear | Wind Direction: West | Wind Speed: 3.1mph [see map]

Free Newsletter

Advertise on Edhat

News Events Referrals Deals Classifieds Comments About

more articles like this

Arby's in SB
updated: Jan 19, 2013, 6:43 PM

By Edhat Subscriber

Has SB ever had a Arby's ? If so where and why did it close?

Comments in order of when they were received | (reverse order)

HOLAZOLA agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-19 06:48 PM

Goleta. At 5687 Calle Real, where the Nugget is now Located. I'd guess it closed in the early 90's

COMMENT 365371 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-19 07:01 PM

I LOVED and Love Arby's it was in Goleta, and there was 1 on the Mesa I that then turned into Burger King and is now Long's Drugs by Lazy Acres.....MISS them both!

COMMENT 365373 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-19 07:01 PM

Their chicken sandwich was pretty good but I couldn't put enough sauce on the roast beef to choke one down. I would guess they closed due to lack of customers cuz if you wanted chicken KFC was right across the D/W and back then you could get a " corn and a cluck for under a buck".

COMMENT 365380P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-19 07:08 PM

HOLAZOLA nailed it. It left closed down right around the same time that Hope'N'Hagens did. I miss Hope'N'Hagens but not Arby's. But then again I was never a big red meat eater.

COMMENT 365398 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-19 08:21 PM

The one in Goleta shut down in the early 2000s.

REXOFSB agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-19 08:26 PM

Arby's? Seriously? Junk-food gourmand that I am, I draw the line at Arby's and it's scary gray/green "meat" or whatever it is, slathered with overpowering sauce. Arby's is truly the yardstick by which all terrible fast-food is measured. How it stays in business is absolutely beyond me. It is HORRIBLE!

COMMENT 365403 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-19 08:51 PM

I stop all the time when I big box shop down south

COMMENT 365416P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-19 10:48 PM

"Feel's like an Arby's night."

My most vivid memory of Arby's was pulling a stored sandwich out of the refrigerator to find the cheese was still liquid.

COMMENT 365430 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 06:40 AM

Wasn't there an Arby's on Milpas as well?

COMMENT 365445 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 07:53 AM

Re:gray green meat

Meat of animals turns gray rather quickly - all "red meat" you buy in stores has some amount of dye in it

COMMENT 365469 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 08:37 AM

All that was aked is where one was, when and why it closed. Typical for snooty Santa Barbarians too add their comments about meat. ha....

COMMENT 365474 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 08:41 AM

BARF!!

COMMENT 365479 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 08:51 AM

Yep, where the Nugget is now on Calle Real. Closed around 2000/2001, probably from a lack of business. Every time I went there it was rarely very busy.

COMMENT 365494 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 10:06 AM

It closed because it's gross.

as in the Simpsons "I'm so hungry I could eat Arby's."
Arby's omg, wow.

COMMENT 365498 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 10:10 AM

As a vegetarian, I love Arby's seasoned curly fries & the jamocha shake was awesome. Honestly, if you're eating fast food, can you really complain about the quailty of the food? It's fast food people - it's like the definition of junk. Tasty junk, but junk. That said, I'm so glad I don't eat meat when it comes to fast food places. Ew.

COMMENT 365508 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 10:31 AM

Miss the goleta one.

498 I agree the curly fries are good, better than jack in the crack

COMMENT 365530 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 11:35 AM

Arby's is my favorite fast food restaurant. Their roast beef sandwiches with Arby Sauce are like crack cocaine to me. It's too bad they closed down before I started living here. Actually, it might have been a good thing for me because I used to live right across the street in the apartments so that would have been dangerous. :-P

COMMENT 365537 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 12:05 PM

What was located at Arby's in Goleta back in the 70's? Straw Hat Pizza??

COMMENT 365546 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 12:29 PM

I didn't realize we ever had an Arby's here in the greater Santa Barbara area. They were all over Phoenix when I was living there and the chicken sandwiches were pretty good. The roast beef weren't bad, but never caught my appetite.

Sure, Arby's is junk food and not the healthiest thing to eat. But, eaten in moderation, Arby's was a great "treat" every now and then, just like In-N-Out and McDonald's.

COMMENT 365597P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 02:20 PM

Yes, BIG BARF

COMMENT 365638 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 04:35 PM

I love Arby's in Santa Maria. I stopped at the Goleta one once. The floor was sticky and stained and the bathroom was really gross--toilet stopped up. Sink full of paper towels. Never went back there.

COMMENT 365668 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 07:30 PM

I saw an Arby's sandwich once but I've never been so far gone as to eat one.

COMMENT 365690P agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-20 10:10 PM

Arby's food is over my MSG tolerance limit. Tried it a couple times when it was in Goleta. Gives me headaches.

COMMENT 365708 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 07:56 AM

It was where the Nugget is now in the Calle Real strip mall. The location is not that good and there are so many nearby restaurants like the old Carrows (now Denny's) next door and the KFC on the other side and many other fast food outlets in close proximately. Parking was and is terrible all along that strip mall especially since Trader Joe's opened. Those are the main reasons, bad location, poor parking and too much close competition. Actually that store was always neet and clean and local owner operated. He had an old antique car in there for a while, also in immaculate condition. The Arby's menue is the same at all stores and changes periodically like other fast food outlets. Many fans go to the store in Santa Maria when they are there or the one in Ventura at Main and the 101.

COMMENT 365709 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 08:00 AM

Every two years or so I get a weird craving for a huge Arby's roast beef sandwich. I head down to Ventura to get one, then after I eat it I ask myself, why?

Takes a few years to forget just how bad they are.

COMMENT 365716 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 08:37 AM

445 - That is urban myth.

COMMENT 365725 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 09:06 AM

There was an Arby's on the Mesa at Cliff & Meigs where CVS is now. Then the center was remodeled and it was a Burger Ding but not for very long before Longs moved in. Lazy Acres was a Santa Cruz Market and Fritz Patio & Fireside. McDonalds was a KFC

COMMENT 365767 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-21 11:10 AM

Arby's is yummy! What happened to Krispy Creme Donuts? Why is there not one in SB?

COMMENT 366042 agree helpful negative off topic

2013-01-22 09:07 AM

@537 yes before it was Arby's (in Goleta) in was Straw Hat Pizza. I remember going there as a kid - my uncle worked there. I couldn't tell you what was there before but I sure miss the old days.

21% of comments on this page were made by Edhat Community Members.